• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Posts Remastered Princess Knight Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostOfSide3

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Definitely getting. Nozomi is doing great things.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I may or may not consider getting this. I'm not exactly keen on the idea of owning a set with just one audio, even if it was a product of it's time. Still, this is looking good, especially the effort to remaster the dub.

Kinda wish Nozomi would be willing to put out a separate set, even if a limited print run, of the Japanese version. Though, given the way they did AstroBoy and Kimba, I'm guessing that's not going to happen. Sigh...
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
This if deffinantly at the top of my list of titles to get along with Gundam UC & Roberta's Blood Trail. Glad Nozomi is putting this classic out on the market.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
I may or may not consider getting this. I'm not exactly keen on the idea of owning a set with just one audio, even if it was a product of it's time. Still, this is looking good, especially the effort to remaster the dub.

Kinda wish Nozomi would be willing to put out a separate set, even if a limited print run, of the Japanese version. Though, given the way they did AstroBoy and Kimba, I'm guessing that's not going to happen. Sigh...

With the 60s Astro Boy, they have an excuse. The original Japanese audio for a LOT of the series no longer exists, since the Japanese distributors couldn't afford to store it, they had NBC keep them, who promptly destroyed the masters. When Astro Boy is shown in Japan today, the "missing" episodes are dubbed back from the English version (which itself was lost for a while before some TV stations around the world gathered their prints). That's what I've heard anyway. Apparently, Japanese TV stations were pretty bad about not preserving their shows. Although the UK was probably the worst at this (look at the missing Dr. Who serials...).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I find remastering or at least cleaning up the audio tracks tends to "undate" an anime more than cleaning up video. But I suppose there's not much you can do for those old mono tracks.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
^ Plus they probably got the English dub on old 8-tracks or something. I doubt they got the dub's actual elements (which without a doubt don't exist. That's not even the case for old 90s anime dubs like Tenchi and Slayers. Robotech was an exception).
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I sampled the first episode on Nozomi's Youtube channel--and that was my limit. It wasn't just because of the dated cheesy dub, it was just so ancient in a way that there was just no timing to anything--the comedy, the action, the dialogue exchange between characters, you name it. Don't take this to mean I'm biased against old anime, since I was able to get into Rose of Versailles just fine (I was flat-out hooked, in fact), but Princess Knight unfortunately proved a little too painful to watch. Still, I hope this does well enough for Nozomi.
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
indeed no one should buy this unless he is getting it just to own it, its older than what we call classic anime, its ancient and pain to watch. Twisted Evil
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:

With the 60s Astro Boy, they have an excuse. The original Japanese audio for a LOT of the series no longer exists, since the Japanese distributors couldn't afford to store it, they had NBC keep them, who promptly destroyed the masters. When Astro Boy is shown in Japan today, the "missing" episodes are dubbed back from the English version (which itself was lost for a while before some TV stations around the world gathered their prints). That's what I've heard anyway. Apparently, Japanese TV stations were pretty bad about not preserving their shows. Although the UK was probably the worst at this (look at the missing Dr. Who serials...).

The situation with Astroboy is actually the exact opposite. The problem with the Japanese Astroboy is a number of episodes, the film video masters have been in such poor condition, only the audio exists for it. It's so bad, some episodes only have still images to tell a story. This is also the case for the episode where the masters for one episode were purposely destroyed, but someone managed to track down the Japanese audio track for it and had to re-edit it to the US footage, rather than redub it. As far as I'm aware, I believe all the audio tracks are accounted for.

So really, it's not a situation of problematic audio, but rather the video. So, really, there's no excuse including what the Japanese masters have if they have it available, which one could assume they have with the limited episodes they released on the set bilingual or sub only.

Same could be said for Kimba.
roseversailles

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Let me declare it now, I LOVE NOZOMI. I could kiss Kleckner's shoe. So glad to see them license old or out of print classics and give them the new polish they need to shine. I still maintain that their Utena boxsets are some of the loveliest packages I have in my DVD collection. The booklets, the mastering.... <3333 *melts into a puddle of fangirl glee*

Ahem. In any case, I hope Nozomi continues their wonderful work. If any company were to rerelease Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura (preferrably on Blu!) I would want it to be them.

*Hats off. Salute.*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1