• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Town Where You Live (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote

A Town Where You Live
Genres: Drama, Romance, Slice of Life

Plot:
Eba Yuzuki, a girl from Tokyo moves to a countryside to attend high school. She lives together with a guy named Kirishima Haruto whose father is an apprentice of Eba's father. Haruto never agrees to let Yuzuki stay at his house and always rejects her. Another girl, Kanzaki Nanami, comes whom Haruto might be in love with. So... what will happen in this story?

Episode 1
Not too shabby for first episode I suppose. The OP songs was okay and ED songs is somewhat dramatic. As for the character designs, they are better than the OVA imo but not as good as I had thought. The pace was slow though but I'm glad Rin made her debut in the first episode. I'm expecting more soon from this series especially Eba in the future. (spoiler[is she wet in the preview? Shocked] )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I just saw the raw, since I read the manga. Why is it starting from chapter 80?!!! The Hiroshima arc (1-79) was where all the characters were developed. People who don't read the manga will most likely be confused at what is going on. Man this is why I wanted a 24-26 episode season. Instead we get a 12 episode season with a random start.
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
I just saw the raw, since I read the manga. Why is it starting from chapter 80?!!! The Hiroshima arc (1-79) was where all the characters were developed. People who don't read the manga will most likely be confused at what is going on. Man this is why I wanted a 24-26 episode season. Instead we get a 12 episode season with a random start.

Why the hell would they do that? The Hiroshima arc is rather essential moving forward and, at least in my opinion, it's the best arc of the series.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:10 am Reply with quote
I like the way characters are drawn.
spoiler[Asuka & Haruto] would make such a nice pair ^^
Looks life in the big city is gonna be interesting.
Well, at least he made some pretty nice friends..
The mood of the anime was kinda sad.
Like he lost something and was looking for it...
So he has some unresolved things from his past as well.
Think I'm gonna be watching this one!
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
so he moved to Tokyo to chase after a girl he met in Hiroshima? is that what's going on?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay I watched the first episode. The characters look a lot better than the ovas. Although the background in certain scenes looked low quality.

Shuurai25 wrote:

Why the hell would they do that? The Hiroshima arc is rather essential moving forward and, at least in my opinion, it's the best arc of the series.

Yeah I also thought that was the best arc. Looks like there is hope as the preview for next week episode showed it will probably be a flashback episode.

getchman wrote:
so he moved to Tokyo to chase after a girl he met in Hiroshima? is that what's going on?

Pretty much, I think next week's episode will explain it all since it looks like it will be a flashback episode.
SirKidd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
After being a long term ready of the manga I have to admit I was very dissapointed in how this anime has started and seems to be progressing even from the first episode.

So much seems lost with the whole base story removed something I think was not only essential to the manga but something that made me read the manga in the first place.

The current first episode also seemed very rushed with no real flow due to how badly it has been put together.

As well as the above I do believe if not for my reading the manga I would not have watched the full episode and would have simply decided to switch to another new anime.

It just seems that who ever was incharge of this anime has been asleep on the job since the start
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Independent of writing and plotting, the direction is terrible. The timing, the way things leave and enter the screen, the shortcuts... its all distractingly bad.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:

i don't read the manga. I know what's going on. I don't need to read 1- whatever. It looks like his girl left the MC and he transfer school from a small town to Tokyo for that girl. So so long as they do some flash back, you really don't need to follow the manga 100%.

Follow the manga is only for people who read the manga. For most people who don't read the manga, they don't care as long as they tell the good story.
Shuurai25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Follow the manga is only for people who read the manga. For most people who don't read the manga, they don't care as long as they tell the good story.

That's kinda the issue though. The arc they've skipped or will abbreviate into a flashback is the only part of the series that can truly be called "good". Everything else is either mediocre or just crap tbh. People may well pick up on what's going on easily enough but the series will still be missing it's high point and in the end probably won't do the show a great deal of favors in regards to expanding it's audience and selling a greater number of discs than if they'd just made a show for the manga readers and noone else watched it.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read the manga and I had no real problem following. But I do agree with that chummer who said the directing is balls. I was really put off by it.

I'm cool with this art style though. I've always preferred the 1/8 eyes over the larger sizes for generally realistic shows. It still looks stylized compared to realistic people, but more realistic than usual. Romance and drama series don't seem to use it consistently for all characters nearly often enough.

This season's too busy so this one gets the back burner from me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I thought the name felt familiar, I watched the OVAs when they got subbed. Along with the OVAs it leaves a little confusion to the character motivations, but I don't feel too lost with what I know. I just hope the show can make a good story of the characters in the now instead of how things were before.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Along with the OVAs it leaves a little confusion to the character motivations

If you're not familiar with the manga, this seem to be a fault of the adapting process.
If you are familiar with the manga then I'd call it "ironic".

Fans of the series at the time, myself included, couldn't figure any of the plot past chapter 60 or so.

Good luck.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Independent of writing and plotting, the direction is terrible. The timing, the way things leave and enter the screen, the shortcuts... its all distractingly bad.

I noticed that too. Just the way scenes are "shot" is disorienting and I don't think it's intentional. That scene where Haruto and the 2 others were just walking down the street was where it stood out the most. I could never figure out where each character was in relation to the others.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga either, but I had a rough idea of what the premise was. I'm disappointed. After watching the two OVAs, I thought - cool, with the TV series we'll be going back to the beginning when they first meet. Nope. Ya know what? Eff off. We already went through two OVAs where basically the supposed love interests never get to spend any real time together and now this? Blow me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6