• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ruin Explorers DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
I have a weird soft spot for Slayers and its various feel-a-likes from the '90s.

I'll have to pick this one up sometime.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
I actually still own the original ADV release of this show. Man, I'm getting old.

Are the new bonus features worth trading up for?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I always enjoyed this film. Then I found out that the artist involved with Xenogears, Xenosaga and Key the Metal Idol and lets not forget the little project Hoi-Hoi-san; Kunihiko Tanaka did the designs. Yeah, it does leave a soft spot. I wouldn't mind giving this another spin one day. But good to see it's being released again for those who missed out.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Why does the front cover art look so radically different than the actual show art (and back cover art)?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Why does the front cover art look so radically different than the actual show art (and back cover art)?

Man, could you imagine if they remade this show with today's animation styles?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

It'd fit in with everything else, stylistically, just like this did with the 90s? It's a fantastic and fun OVA, but I can't think of anything special in the art.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

If they redid it without CG and used for the whole series the same modern art style depicted on the front cover of this DVD then I think that it could be interesting. The faces on the front cover of this DVD are a bit too vague in definition, too "moe", for my tastes but I'm not sure that I like the harsh, low-detail, angular faces in the original version more.

It still doesn't seem right to me to depict this clean, modern (and fairly moe) vision of the show on the front cover of the dvd when the actual art for the show is basically the exact opposite of it. If they're expecting people to pick it up based on the cover art...
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Loved this then when I picked it up on VHS, still love it now.

The Great Miguel is still one of my favorite joke characters. Probably one of Brett Weaver's best dubbed roles, he really excelled at that character type.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I loved the original art style for Ruin Explorers (especially some of the watercolor art), it really captured that cartoonier, more bombastic look that was popular in the 90's. The cover they used for the DVD box here is very well-rendered, though I'd agree that it's kind of a misleading choice for reflecting the spirit of the show, and makes the title characters seem a bit more doe-eyed and subdued than they really are.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I had the VHS' of this, and then I got the DVD when that first came out. Well, when Netflix got it, but anyway.

I think I'll give this one another buy.

Actually, I'd like to uncover the manga somehow.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
They must have done a recent authorized commissioning for the cover art. There's no way that Visual Novel look to characters was created back in the 90's when the show was created. It will definitely appeal to newer fans, but I don't think they will be disappointed with the show itself despite its much rougher illustrative style.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Whoa. I totally have the VHS tapes of this somewhere in my room back in the States. How nostalgic!
El-ahrairah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, wow... I remember this. This was one of the first anime I ever watched. Jeez, how long ago was that anyway? I think I still have the VHS ensconced in the back of the closet somewhere...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I always enjoyed this film. Then I found out that the artist involved with Xenogears, Xenosaga and Key the Metal Idol and lets not forget the little project Hoi-Hoi-san; Kunihiko Tanaka did the designs. Yeah, it does leave a soft spot. I wouldn't mind giving this another spin one day. But good to see it's being released again for those who missed out.

Hehe, that's one of the reasons I finally picked up this new release with my spare cash since for some reason I apparently never got the old one. Huge fan of the Xeno games and Kunihiko Tanaka's designs. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1