• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sentai Filmworks Lists Shining Hearts Anime's English Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
That effort (read: money) could have been used for Tari Tari and Waiting in the Summer... :/
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:11 am Reply with quote
Agreed. Unless this series gets way better after its first episode, or is more marketable than it seems to be, I see this as a waste of dubbing effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
That effort (read: money) could have been used for Tari Tari and Waiting in the Summer... :/

Exactly. I have no idea how popular the Shining video game series is in the States, so that may have something to do with it, but the above shows really would have benefited more from a dub.

@Key: It remains pretty much as bland as... bread I guess. Definitely not something as flavorable as Yakitate Japan at least.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
It gets better and worse. The better is when it's happy and upbeat, with them baking bread and delivering it to the towns people. The worse is when the slipshod story kicks in but isn't given the time or attention it would typically need to work well. If you like Tony Taka designs, it's worth checking out, that's about as far a recommendation I can give.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
So, who is playing Kaguya in English?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they went back later and dubbed Waiting in Summer. It's been released in other English markets and seems to have done somewhat well for Sentai. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Mayo Chiki dubbed for the same reasons, and it seemed to sell much better than Sentai expected. They had to rider a reprint only a few weeks after its release. They are really the only two titles that Sentai has done subonly that were also released in the UK and Australia.

I don't know about Tari Tari though. I guess we will have to wait and see. I'm not sure if it's been picked up overseas or not. It may depend greatly on sales.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if Sentai uses an ouija board to determine what gets a dub. Their decisions just make no freaking sense.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Sentai uses an ouija board to determine what gets a dub. Their decisions just make no freaking sense.

It really isn't too hard to figure out. So far, every title that has gotten a dub has been picked up in other markets. Sentai has even stated that is one of the primary reasons why they choose what gets dubbed.

So far, there have only been three anomalies. Shining Hearts, which has been dubbed but no UK or Australian release has been announced. There are also Mayo Chiki and Waiting in Summer, which were released sub only in all three markets. There may also be some of their short OVAs, but they are short, inexpensive to license, and cheap to dub, so they aren't much of a risk.

Sentai has also said that streaming and VOD numbers play into their decisions as well. Since there was no legal streaming of this show ahead of time that I'm aware of, it's likely either been acquired in the UK or Australia and not announced yet, or it's simply because of the video game connection. I doubt this license was expensive and it's a short series, so the overall break even point may be low. They are even instances where the Japanese have chipped in on production costs to have a better chance of marketing the shows, or even instances where the licenses were free in an attempt to simply earn some extra revenue.

We don't the exact reasons why each show is dubbed, but we know the primary reasons that play into their decision making. It's really not rocket science.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:59 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

It really isn't too hard to figure out. So far, every title that has gotten a dub has been picked up in other markets. Sentai has even stated that is one of the primary reasons why they choose what gets dubbed.

So far, there have only been three anomalies. Shining Hearts, which has been dubbed but no UK or Australian release has been announced. There are also Mayo Chiki and Waiting in Summer, which were released sub only in all three markets. There may also be some of their short OVAs, but they are short, inexpensive to license, and cheap to dub, so they aren't much of a risk.

Sentai has also said that streaming and VOD numbers play into their decisions as well. Since there was no legal streaming of this show ahead of time that I'm aware of, it's likely either been acquired in the UK or Australia and not announced yet, or it's simply because of the video game connection. I doubt this license was expensive and it's a short series, so the overall break even point may be low. They are even instances where the Japanese have chipped in on production costs to have a better chance of marketing the shows, or even instances where the licenses were free in an attempt to simply earn some extra revenue.

We don't the exact reasons why each show is dubbed, but we know the primary reasons that play into their decision making. It's really not rocket science.

Also, the VA's and their work schedules may have something to do with the decisions. If you have a dozen or so VA's contracted for several projects and a fully staffed recording studio prepped, then it makes sense to make as much use of those as possible. So, for one reason or another the timing isn't right to do a dub of Tari Tari or Waiting in the Summer, but you do have time to dub Shining Hearts even if it may be marginal to do so.

Mark Gosdin
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:17 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Also, the VA's and their work schedules may have something to do with the decisions. If you have a dozen or so VA's contracted for several projects and a fully staffed recording studio prepped, then it makes sense to make as much use of those as possible. So, for one reason or another the timing isn't right to do a dub of Tari Tari or Waiting in the Summer, but you do have time to dub Shining Hearts even if it may be marginal to do so.

Mark Gosdin

I suppose that could play into it to. But in the case of Sentai and Funimation, they usually book actors for a set block of hours and pay them hourly. Usually about 4 hours is the minimum.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
I sincerely doubt that VA schedules play any role whatsoever in what gets dubbed or not. dragonrider_cody is correct in that usually, the process of figuring out why a certain Sentai title got a dub is fairly transparent. Shining Hearts is not one of those clear-cut cases. I'm in the minority of peeps who actually more or less liked the show, but I'm still surprised by the dubbing decision. I guess Sentai knows something we don't.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I've never even heard of this one. But man I would have loved some dubbed Tari Tari.
vjfrench

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
UltimateEye wrote:
So, who is playing Kaguya in English?

Caitlynn French
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

I think you can bet just about any slice of life or drama or romcom shows by Sentai will be sub & dvd only
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1