• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yumi Hara, Ayahi Takagaki, Marina Inoue Join Log Horizon Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I saw the subheading and got a little worried, and when I read the description, my worst fears were confirmed. Sword Art Online started in 2009 and this was written in 2010. Now, there's nothing wrong with people making up stories similar to their favorite books and posting them online. It's a different matter when a company who knows better purposely picks that one to adapt into an anime. Then we start to tread into knockoff territory. I'm cool with the author, whoever he is, but I don't think this needed an anime when we just had SAO. It seems... money-grabby. I know, I know, that's what companies do--try to make a profit. But they could be less blatant about it. It's a bit of a turnoff.

Even if the novel's plot is actually completely different (which would be great), they're still marketing it like it's SAO.

On a positive note, I am 100% okay with that protagonist's design. Did they pick pictures of their seiyuu that looked like the characters or is it seriously just a coincidence? Besides Nyanta.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
not popular version of SOA? i may watch the first few eps.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
I saw the subheading and got a little worried, and when I read the description, my worst fears were confirmed. Sword Art Online started in 2009 and this was written in 2010. Now, there's nothing wrong with people making up stories similar to their favorite books and posting them online. It's a different matter when a company who knows better purposely picks that one to adapt into an anime. Then we start to tread into knockoff territory. I'm cool with the author, whoever he is, but I don't think this needed an anime when we just had SAO. It seems... money-grabby. I know, I know, that's what companies do--try to make a profit. But they could be less blatant about it. It's a bit of a turnoff.

Even if the novel's plot is actually completely different (which would be great), they're still marketing it like it's SAO.

On a positive note, I am 100% okay with that protagonist's design. Did they pick pictures of their seiyuu that looked like the characters or is it seriously just a coincidence? Besides Nyanta.

because .hack never existed.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
First, Sword Art Online started in 2002. 2001 if you go by when the author started writing it. 2009 is just when it was published as a light novel instead of as a web novel.

Second, while my own natural inclination is to say ripoff or knockoff, I'm fairly certain that it's really just a matter of it being another entry in the "game made real" genre. SAO and .hack are hardly the first series to give a game real consequences, a virtual world consequences like it was the real world, or dumped the characters into a real world version of their favorite game. Information about the series is pretty scare beyond the basic summaries ANN and Wikipedia have, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it won't be exploring the same themes as SAO or .hack did.

As for the company purposely picking it to adapt in an attempted money-grab, of course that's what they're doing. SAO, and to a lesser extent Accel World were both successful last year. Series being successful makes other companies sit up and take a look around for similar material because obviously there's some demand for something like that series.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Altorrin wrote:

because .hack never existed.

Don't worry, I am perfectly aware of .hack. I haven't watched much of it, but I'm pretty sure in that it was just one or two players getting trapped in the game, not all of them. Is that correct? I didn't mention .hack because Log Horizon's premise isn't exactly the same as .hack's. I'm okay with the whole MMO becomes real thing, as long as people put their own spin on the basic premise. This person did not. I'd also like to mention SAO's anime did not come a few months after .hack's popularity boomed.

Also, I know it's a money-grab. Like I said, I dislike how blatant it is. The premise isn't even a little different (besides the playerbase being larger).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1