Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann to Stream on Viz Media's Neon Alley Service


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HybridMedia



Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 28
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
OK......I really didn't expect this. No, really, the thought of Gurren Lagann heading to Neon Alley didn't cross my mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
YamadaKun



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 304
Location: Sunny California
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Gurren Lagann is one of the few good anime that aired after Code Geass. In fact, it's great fun and is Gainax's only good TV show.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Splitter



Joined: 19 May 2003
Posts: 1276
Location: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Awesome. Gurren Lagann is one of the few good anime that aired after Code Geass. In fact, it's great fun and is Gainax's only good TV show.


And here we go Rolling Eyes

Good for Neon Alley. They've actually been airing a lot of good shows lately it seems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
partysmores



Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 284
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Ha, Neon Alley! You think you're going to tempt me with your Gurren Lagann and your Madoka Magica? You still aren't On Demand! Just who the hell do you think I am?!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
angelmcazares
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4422
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they will be using the video from the BD set.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
traveling



Joined: 23 Apr 2013
Posts: 211
Location: U.S.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this could lead to the movies being dubbed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 2934
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Good work. That show deserves it.

The uncut version, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AbZeroNow



Joined: 14 Jan 2013
Posts: 519
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Awesome. Gurren Lagann is one of the few good anime that aired after Code Geass. In fact, it's great fun and is Gainax's only good TV show.


Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water was a great TV show so you're wrong there (since Gunbuster and FLCL were OVAs I can't really cite those).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bleachj0j



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 811
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Good work. That show deserves it.

The uncut version, right?


Yeah it's all uncut
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Mad Manga Massacre



Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 1059
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Neon Alley will also have a new feature coming soon that will allow subscribers to catch up on episodes they've missed on either on the Xbox 360 or PS3 app or online.

While I'm glad about Gurren Lagann I'm more interested in this bit of news. I wonder when this will start?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
YamadaKun



Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 304
Location: Sunny California
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
I wonder if this could lead to the movies being dubbed.


"Henry" Goto clearly stated they aren't gonna get dubbed. Sorry bud. Which is odd, since almost every Pioneer license was dubbed and he also worked as an executive producer for Pioneer Entertainment. Also, it would be hard to dub, since most of the cast do union work and as you know, union work is not cheap. It was the same reason why Bandai Entertainment got cheap and lazy with the GITS SAC OVAs and done them on the cheap, via Ocean Productions, rather than using the unionized Animaze. The dub could never re-coup costs, since VAs, ADR writers, ADR directors will be paid so much money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
JacobYBM



Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 185
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Ignore this post. Completely wrong thread.

Last edited by JacobYBM on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleWarrior13



Joined: 05 Sep 2009
Posts: 1829
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
traveling wrote:
I wonder if this could lead to the movies being dubbed.


"Henry" Goto clearly stated they aren't gonna get dubbed. Sorry bud. Which is odd, since almost every Pioneer license was dubbed and he also worked as an executive producer for Pioneer Entertainment. Also, it would be hard to dub, since most of the cast do union work and as you know, union work is not cheap. It was the same reason why Bandai Entertainment got cheap and lazy with the GITS SAC OVAs and done them on the cheap, via Ocean Productions, rather than using the unionized Animaze. The dub could never re-coup costs, since VAs, ADR writers, ADR directors will be paid so much money.


A lot of it's contracts too. 4Kids was non-union even though they paid their voice actors BETTER than union (about $75 a session. Union is only about $60). However, SAG-AFTRA contracts can be a pain and time-consuming as well. It's unfortunate though. With all the hard work the voice actors do, they deserve to be paid much better. Original animation is about $300-400 a session, and that job is considerably more easy and less technical than looping/dubbing/ADR.

With that said, Fate/Zero and Durarara were both union dubs. It can be done. Aniplex USA is a very strange and bizarre company on so many levels. Yes, the movies are just recaps (I think...), but the fans still want them in their speaking language.

Also interestingly, the original Ghost in the Shell had a non-union dub, with the credits just being a list of aliases (Mimi Woods, Lia Sargent and Steve Bulen were probably the only real names on there).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShatteredWorld



Joined: 05 May 2013
Posts: 262
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Awesome. Gurren Lagann is one of the few good anime that aired after Code Geass. In fact, it's great fun and is Gainax's only good TV show.


I'm sorry you're so confused bruh bruh, but Panty & Stocking exists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
050795



Joined: 27 Mar 2009
Posts: 230
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Awesome. Gurren Lagann is one of the few good anime that aired after Code Geass. In fact, it's great fun and is Gainax's only good TV show.


While I agree that Gurren Lagann is Gainax's best TV show overall, it's not the only good TV show they have done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group