• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gurren Lagann to Stream on Viz Media's Neon Alley Service

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HybridMedia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:50 am Reply with quote
OK......I really didn't expect this. No, really, the thought of Gurren Lagann heading to Neon Alley didn't cross my mind.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Gurren Lagann is one of the few good anime that aired after Code Geass. In fact, it's great fun and is Gainax's only good TV show.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Awesome. Gurren Lagann is one of the few good anime that aired after Code Geass. In fact, it's great fun and is Gainax's only good TV show.

And here we go Rolling Eyes

Good for Neon Alley. They've actually been airing a lot of good shows lately it seems.
partysmores

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Ha, Neon Alley! You think you're going to tempt me with your Gurren Lagann and your Madoka Magica? You still aren't On Demand! Just who the hell do you think I am?!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they will be using the video from the BD set.
traveling

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this could lead to the movies being dubbed.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Good work. That show deserves it.

The uncut version, right?
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water was a great TV show so you're wrong there (since Gunbuster and FLCL were OVAs I can't really cite those).
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Good work. That show deserves it.

The uncut version, right?

Yeah it's all uncut
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Neon Alley will also have a new feature coming soon that will allow subscribers to catch up on episodes they've missed on either on the Xbox 360 or PS3 app or online.

While I'm glad about Gurren Lagann I'm more interested in this bit of news. I wonder when this will start?
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:26 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:

"Henry" Goto clearly stated they aren't gonna get dubbed. Sorry bud. Which is odd, since almost every Pioneer license was dubbed and he also worked as an executive producer for Pioneer Entertainment. Also, it would be hard to dub, since most of the cast do union work and as you know, union work is not cheap. It was the same reason why Bandai Entertainment got cheap and lazy with the GITS SAC OVAs and done them on the cheap, via Ocean Productions, rather than using the unionized Animaze. The dub could never re-coup costs, since VAs, ADR writers, ADR directors will be paid so much money.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Ignore this post. Completely wrong thread.

Last edited by JulieYBM on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
traveling wrote:

"Henry" Goto clearly stated they aren't gonna get dubbed. Sorry bud. Which is odd, since almost every Pioneer license was dubbed and he also worked as an executive producer for Pioneer Entertainment. Also, it would be hard to dub, since most of the cast do union work and as you know, union work is not cheap. It was the same reason why Bandai Entertainment got cheap and lazy with the GITS SAC OVAs and done them on the cheap, via Ocean Productions, rather than using the unionized Animaze. The dub could never re-coup costs, since VAs, ADR writers, ADR directors will be paid so much money.

A lot of it's contracts too. 4Kids was non-union even though they paid their voice actors BETTER than union (about $75 a session. Union is only about $60). However, SAG-AFTRA contracts can be a pain and time-consuming as well. It's unfortunate though. With all the hard work the voice actors do, they deserve to be paid much better. Original animation is about $300-400 a session, and that job is considerably more easy and less technical than looping/dubbing/ADR.

With that said, Fate/Zero and Durarara were both union dubs. It can be done. Aniplex USA is a very strange and bizarre company on so many levels. Yes, the movies are just recaps (I think...), but the fans still want them in their speaking language.

Also interestingly, the original Ghost in the Shell had a non-union dub, with the credits just being a list of aliases (Mimi Woods, Lia Sargent and Steve Bulen were probably the only real names on there).
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

I'm sorry you're so confused bruh bruh, but Panty & Stocking exists.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

While I agree that Gurren Lagann is Gainax's best TV show overall, it's not the only good TV show they have done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2