• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Launches Website

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Chances are this network will turn out like ADV's. America isn't ready for a 24-hour anime network. Plus, the FUNi Channel will probably be 85% Dragonball stuff.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. What America is not ready for though, is a whole bunch of single company run channels that play largely that one companies projects, and basically are a thinly veiled marketing attempt. But, of course, that's where things are currently heading. Now, if there was one channel, who all of the companies would go to to get their stuff on TV, (Like AS but on a much larger scale) I find no reason it couldn't succeed. There would be plenty of programming available to a single source, plus a healthy infusion of new shows all the time.
naushika

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
What I'm wondering is what will happen to Funi's other properties which are currently playing on other networks? ie: Fullmetal Alchemist and DBZ on CN? Will the Funi channel just not play these shows and leave them on CN? And would they still give CN different properties in the future, even if the Funi channel is successful? Questions to ponder....

Furthermore, how widespread is this release going to be? Will it be pay-per-view like the Anime Network is on Time Warner systems? (thats how it is for me Anime cry)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Funi's not going to take any shows off CN/AS beyond the shows CN has shelved already. The Funimation Channel is a very risky venture as it is, so Funi's not going to kill the goose that lays golden eggs by taking off the shows that get mass exposure on CN/AS. The Funi channel's more for shows that wouldn't find that much of an audience on CN (at least not enough of an audience for it to be worth CN's while).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Absurd Hero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
What America is not ready for though, is a whole bunch of single company run channels that play largely that one companies projects, and basically are a thinly veiled marketing attempt. But, of course, that's where things are currently heading. Now, if there was one channel, who all of the companies would go to to get their stuff on TV, (Like AS but on a much larger scale) I find no reason it couldn't succeed. There would be plenty of programming available to a single source, plus a healthy infusion of new shows all the time.

I completely agree. I really don't think this channel has much chance of being picked up by any major providers. Being corporations, they aren't inclined to go in on something with other companies, but that's probably the only way something like this would work.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:32 pm Reply with quote
why can't all these companies just get together and make one big channel? i mean there's a lot more profit to be had on all sides.
emory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
why can't all these companies just get together and make one big channel? i mean there's a lot more profit to be had on all sides.

I'd rather a 3rd party unassociated with all these distributors does it. If a distributor owns a channel, other distributors may be unwilling to give them shows as it would be technically helping the enemy. And even then, new channels are tough to launch nowadays. It's a little thing called bandwidth.
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
Speaking of which, I know this wasn't to make a network, but wasn't there supposed to be some merger with FUNi, ADV, and Bandai a while back?
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:52 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Chances are this network will turn out like ADV's. America isn't ready for a 24-hour anime network. Plus, the FUNi Channel will probably be 85% Dragonball stuff.

I agree with most other people here. A one-company channel won't do very well, (Especially a company with such a relatively small number of titles.) but one big, multi-company channel would probably do quite well. (As well as anime-focused things tend to do in the US, at least.)

And Dragon Ball doesn't even seem to be on the channel's series list. This seems more like a way to boost interest in some of their lesser-known titles.
Asukatoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Sure, it's a ballsy venture for FUNimation, and I hope they are successful with it. And obviously there are pre-existing agreements with Cartoon Network that would have no bearing on this new network. Besides, they realize that they get greater viewership on a channel like CN. (Much the same way that ADV has shows running on other channels despite the existence of The Anime Network.)

However, The Anime Network - though it was founded by parent company ADV - has never tried to ONLY promote their own shows. They have actively sought out shows from other distributors such as Chobits, Battle of the Planets, Boogiepop Phantom, & Slayers Try. I have heard the statement many times that they want it to be the ANIME Network, and not the "ADV Network."

In any case, airing shows on TV is not some cash cow. It is mainly used as a source of advertising for the distributors who hope people will be interested enough to go out and buy the DVDs for the extra features, additional footage and subtitled tracks.

Oh, Anime Network has never been "Pay-per-view" by the way. It's video on demand, which is not the same thing.

My biggest fear is that having two channels might confuse cable and satellite providers who are not knowledgeable about anime. TAN has only been up and running for three years now. I agree with some other comments about how it would make more sense to join together to share the risks in such a venture. And, hopefully, someday share the profits.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
Asukatoo wrote:

has never tried to ONLY promote their own shows. They have actively sought out shows from other distributors such as Chobits, Battle of the Planets, Boogiepop Phantom, & Slayers Try.

That's true, but they have not been very successful overall, and will be even less so if every company decides to start up their own channel.

Asukatoo wrote:
Oh, Anime Network has never been "Pay-per-view" by the way. It's video on demand, which is not the same thing.

You're partially correct. VOD and PPV are not the same, but TAN VOD is PPV and/or extra monthly fee on some providers.
Asukatoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
I concede on both points. It needs to be more of joint effort. Also, I do realize people usually have to pay more for the package that includes TAN, but they don't have to pay for each show and can watch as often as they like each month. Unfortunately, I don't get it anyway =\ And not many markets currently get the 24/7 channel.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:10 am Reply with quote
Asukatoo wrote:
And not many markets currently get the 24/7 channel.

Not many likely ever will. I live in their home market, yet I only got the VOD version several months after the initial roll-out, and still do not have the linear channel. ADV has admitted that the linear channel is really of little interest to them.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I would like to mention that apparantly the website has launched, but whenever I try to access it, I keep getting the placeholder page that asks for my e-mail address. Has this happened to anyone else?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
I would like to mention that apparantly the website has launched, but whenever I try to access it, I keep getting the placeholder page that asks for my e-mail address. Has this happened to anyone else?
If this website turns out to be like their other main website. This could be an intelligence test to see if one knew what one is first then be able to type it in legibly. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1