• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Busou Renkin, total rip-off of Fullmetal Alchemist?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:10 am Reply with quote
well on the issue of Renkin, I know many people call it a rip-off,yet you would think... that it being Watsuki-Sensei,let alonge having dealing with Alchemy and Homunculus you think it could ride off on the popularity of FMA,yet ..in Japan.... that did not happen. sadly the reason!!!? .. Come Watsuki! you can do better story then that! *sigh* well the first few 2-3 volumes of it were pretty good. but we now its fate...

anyone agree!? Watsuki! give us what we want!either a Kenshin prequel(taking place between that 11 year gap of Kenshin's wanderings) or the sequel that I now he had already sketched out.

the sequel would invole Kenji as the Villian,and and Yahiko as protagonist...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
well on the issue of Renkin, I know many people call it a rip-off,yet you would think... that it being Watsuki-Sensei,let alonge having dealing with Alchemy and Homunculus you think it could ride off on the popularity of FMA,yet ..in Japan.... that did not happen. sadly the reason!!!? .. Come Watsuki! you can do better story then that! *sigh* well the first few 2-3 volumes of it were pretty good. but we now its fate...

anyone agree!? Watsuki! give us what we want!either a Kenshin prequel(taking place between that 11 year gap of Kenshin's wanderings) or the sequel that I now he had already sketched out.

So... let me see if I understand you correctly: Because Busou Renkin deals with alchemy (homunculi are merely an aspect of alchemy), it must necessarily be derivative of Full Metal Alchemist? And it is somehow better to produce yet another Kenshin story, instead of creating a new series? And Kenshin is somehow a deeply original tale, not derivative of other works at all?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
ryusaki wrote:

So... let me see if I understand you correctly: Because Busou Renkin deals with alchemy (homunculi are merely an aspect of alchemy), it must necessarily be derivative of Full Metal Alchemist? And it is somehow better to produce yet another Kenshin story, instead of creating a new series? And Kenshin is somehow a deeply original tale, not derivative of other works at all?

- abunai

hahaha! hehe.. maybe you miss understand,I'm not saying Busou Renkin is a derivative of FMA,but don't you agree in anyway!? how could and in what reason would Watsuki take those key FMA elements and by key I mean Alchemy and the Houmunculi. and the fact that FMA had been out in japan sense 2001. and Renkin started in 03'? maybe Jump wanted something in that similar catagory? but who knows. and Kenshin!? yes ofcourse it some what a derivitive of other Samurai epics, yet the only key thing that makes it stand out is ofcourse the character of Kenshin.

and come on? Watsuki will always be known for Kenshin
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
I'm not saying Busou Renkin is a derivative of FMA,but don't you agree in anyway!? how could and in what reason would Watsuki take those key FMA elements and by key I mean Alchemy and the Houmunculi. and the fact that FMA had been out in japan sense 2001. and Renkin started in 03'?

No, I don't agree, because the concepts of alchemy and homunculi existed centuries before the very concept of manga itself came into the world. And alchemy has had a part in fiction literature for practically as long. Fullmetal Alchemist in no way pioneered the idea, and Busou Renkin in no way is a rip off for including those ideas, any more than Fullmetal Alchemist is derivative of Full Metal Panic! for taking the "Full Metal" in the title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ryusaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
ryusaki wrote:
I'm not saying Busou Renkin is a derivative of FMA,but don't you agree in anyway!? how could and in what reason would Watsuki take those key FMA elements and by key I mean Alchemy and the Houmunculi. and the fact that FMA had been out in japan sense 2001. and Renkin started in 03'?

No, I don't agree, because the concepts of alchemy and homunculi existed centuries before the very concept of manga itself came into the world. And alchemy has had a part in fiction literature for practically as long. Fullmetal Alchemist in no way pioneered the idea, and Busou Renkin in no way is a rip off for including those ideas, any more than Fullmetal Alchemist is derivative of Full Metal Panic! for taking the "Full Metal" in the title.

To be honest I can't believe myself on this matter of thiss whole FMA and BR thing. the matter to me is of Watsuki himself. I myself am' ofcourse a big fan of the Rurouni Kenshin manga,the Jinchuu arc in paticular but I think it was how Watsuki wrote the the character of Kenshin. which that character(bruding dark past,etc) was Kenshin who made that character archtype popular in main stream shonen manga,and ofcourse there had been a few character before him,just not with that emence popularity. Kenshin really did inspire other charcters after,RuroKen debuing in 92' and that being that first short story. from Vash the Stampede to even Spike Speigel in some ways that element that makes Kenshin intresting.
So how Watsuki ever came up with Busou Renkin is beyond my simple ideals.
Grieving Chaos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Watsuki wanted to make a funner, younger title that DIDN'T involve a mass murderer for a main character and be forever stained with darkness.

I know Kenshin is a manga legend, but Watsuki was working on that title for years. Maybe with Renkin he wanted something different - young male character, modern society, sci-fi as opposed to fantasy, and more kid friendly.

As a writer/artist myself, when I fininsh on a long running project, I wanna do something different. Watsuki probably wanted to do the same himself.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Aside from dealing with alchemy, the two titles don't share much in common. Busou just uses alchemy as the gimmick to be applied over the typical story of "normal boy gets recruted by girl to fight against monster-of-the-week who want to do evil" that every other title in Shonen Jump uses.
As for comparisons with Kenshin, it's an obvious downgrade into mediocrity, but I still wouldn't go and say Kenshin is the greatest shonen hero ever. Yeah, he's a bit more interesting than most, but the whole "dark past" isn't anything new, and lets face it, it's been done better. Still, RK is above average for a shonen title for the simple fact that Watsuki has great characterization (even if some of the designs are ridiculously stupid).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
I only read one chapter of BR scanlated and glanced through some imported tankouban, but from what little I read...

It is NOTHING like Fullmetal Alchemist. Busuo Renkin somehow involves alchemy and homonculi, but I couldn't figure out how from what I read. However, alchemy seems to be extremely rare compared to FMA and seems to be used differently.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
Okay look the whole reason I started this was to see if people agreed on what I've read on other boards/Chat and such. So no I'm not saying its a total rip offf. actually it in some was has non of the real FMA elements that made FMA so popular.
but I do still think it is kinda werid that it does have the alchemy and homunculi thing,even if the Alchemy isn't the whole point of it. and the fact of it is the true title should be 'Armored Weapon',sense the Busou Renkin is that Sword the Kazuki wields. and that is source of the alchemy. big flashy attack,and battles. point of any Shonen jump anime.
hayakunero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:21 am Reply with quote
People in this thread read Busou Renkin in English? I used to like it when it ran in weekly jump. 蝶サイコー! Sorry. My English is poor. Embarassed
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:49 pm Reply with quote
ryusaki wrote:
Okay look the whole reason I started this was to see if people agreed on what I've read on other boards/Chat and such. So no I'm not saying its a total rip offf. actually it in some was has non of the real FMA elements that made FMA so popular.
but I do still think it is kinda werid that it does have the alchemy and homunculi thing,even if the Alchemy isn't the whole point of it. and the fact of it is the true title should be 'Armored Weapon',sense the Busou Renkin is that Sword the Kazuki wields. and that is source of the alchemy. big flashy attack,and battles. point of any Shonen jump anime.

I still having a hard time figuring out what you're trying to say because your explaination is all over the place. Maybe you should sit back, recollect your thoughts and post a better thread. Keep in mind that there are tons of manga out there that share a common theme and idea, so you can't just assume things. It just tell me you don't really know what you're talking about.

ryusaki wrote:
Kenshin really did inspire other charcters after,RuroKen debuing in 92' and that being that first short story. from Vash the Stampede to even Spike Speigel in some ways that element that makes Kenshin intresting.
So how Watsuki ever came up with Busou Renkin is beyond my simple ideals.

Wait, are you sure Vash the Stampede or Spike Speigel were inspired by Kenshin or are you just assuming again? I don't know, Spike, I remember was inspired by Lupin the 3rd. As for Vash, I never heard Nightow ever saying he got his inspiration from Kenshin.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
as recollecting my ideas on Busou Renkin? heh,no I give up on this matter.
as in What Kenshin Inspired are my own assumpions. Yet ofcourse What I mean by Kenshin inspiring other characters after him is,more of the Character back ground of him. a warrior who had dark past,and now seeks to redeem himself. thus cue Vash. as in Spike well ha! ofcourse he was inspired by Lupin the 3rd! yet he has more personality. yet that is again my opinion. Yet how his own past haunts him.

thus now I end this thread. *Sigh*
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
hayakunero wrote:
People in this thread read Busou Renkin in English? I used to like it when it ran in weekly jump. 蝶サイコー! Sorry. My English is poor. Embarassed

そんな事ない。英語は上手です。

「scanlation」 と言う物を分かるか?俺は「武装錬金」を日本語で読んだ、でもこのスレの人達の大半は日本語を分からない。

Apologies for my poor Japanese.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tebalith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the argumentation used here...

Fullmetal Alchemist was not the first manga ever to use the concept of alchemy. Both FMA and BR use alchemy differently.
The whole rip-off talk is idiotic.

Now, I love Kenshin dearly. Especially the Jinchuu story. I also love Busou Renkin. One does not exclude the other, really. As long as you accept the two stories as, well, two different stories, with their own distinct feels.

I have a lot of respect for Nobuhiro Watsuki because he actually comes up with something really new each time he makes a manga. Of course he could stick to making Kenshin. He chose to end the series, however, at the right moment.
Would you really want Watsuki-sensei to make a Kenshin prequel? These eleven years of wandering probably were not as interesting, else we would have had them mentioned in the story. Kenshin would not be allowed to have any big and meaningful adventures. He would not be allowed to gather a crowd of friends around him. He would not be allowed to change. This would never work. It would not be interesting. It would not be necessary.
So instead Watsuki made a western story, which failed, and he made Busou Renkin, which was a success, even if not a mega hit.

People seem to judge Busou Renkin by its main character a lot. Well, Kazuki may be only sixteen years old, and unlike Kenshin he may not have had taumatizing events in his past. He still has them ahead. With Kenshin we got someone who stood rather near the end of his journey, in Busou Renkin we get someone who stands only at the beginning.

And if you just need your silent, angsty types to feel happy and to feel that the story you read is deep and meaningful and intellectual, you can always amuse yourself with Tokiko, who is grim, silent, yet warm-hearted, and who has this terrible-event-in-her-childhood thing that explains why she thinks and feels and acts the way she does.

No, I don't think Kazuki is inferior to Kenshin just because we meet him at a different state of development. What's important is how he adapts to the new situation he's in, how he copes with his fear, the responsibility etc. I did not think this was done badly at all in Busou Renkin. It's believable. Kazuki is a likeable and overall realistic character.

And frankly, I like optimism, and I like characters who don't sit in a corner all day and look depressed. I also like manga that have humour. Busou Renkin has humour. Probably more humour than Kenshin, or of a different kind. If you don't like it, I feel sorry for you, but I personally like this mix, and I don't like it when people act as if this manga was objectively bad.

And please don't judge the series based only on its alchemy-premise and on the main character not being like Kenshin. That's shallow.
Edensin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:06 am Reply with quote
There was a game called "Valkrie Profile" which had homunculus in it. Did FMA rip the idea of homunculus off of them?

(of course, I'm being sarcastic....hope u get my point)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5