• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Higurashi, Persona, Bunny Drop, Smuggler Promos Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
all of my money for higursashi to be picked up please. I am willing to give 2000 up front now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
As an interesting side note: I discovered Higurashi through fan appreciation of the series. It seemed to me many people enjoyed this and I'm rather curious why this series' sequels were never picked up.

Were the sales so dismal, there was no money made? I know this was released by two companies, and I wonder if this had an unintended consequence (such as it sold well for Geneon but not FUNimation) which now makes FUNi very apprehensive about its sequels.

I do own the Geneon version, but I didn't know of the FUNi version until months after I purchased it.

I would like to see FUNimation pick up the sequels, even if only to stream them (subtitled obviously).

I rather miss this series. It's one that's definitely refreshing and the cute girls doing evil things is entertaining to watch as well.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Bunny Drop is so cute; I hope this shows up subbed in some LA theaters. I want to see it!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
As an interesting side note: I discovered Higurashi through fan appreciation of the series. It seemed to me many people enjoyed this and I'm rather curious why this series' sequels were never picked up.

Were the sales so dismal, there was no money made? I know this was released by two companies, and I wonder if this had an unintended consequence (such as it sold well for Geneon but not FUNimation) which now makes FUNi very apprehensive about its sequels.

I do own the Geneon version, but I didn't know of the FUNi version until months after I purchased it.

I would like to see FUNimation pick up the sequels, even if only to stream them (subtitled obviously).

I rather miss this series. It's one that's definitely refreshing and the cute girls doing evil things is entertaining to watch as well.

well lets say back in 06/07 when higurashi 1st cameo out i really didn't have the money for the dvd's i did buy the funimation set in 2010 and yes I would love to see it come out, I think nisa could do a great job on this for sub only dvd release, but what can you do? Most people that watched the show at the time were in high school or just out a couple years like me and just starting a job. It's kinda hard to buy things then, I wish i did but that's the past. As I stated in my previous post I am willing to give up 2000 dollars up front of license and I am not kidding either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I would think that FUNi would have a pretty good barometer of it though. Remember, they were the ones that released the final DVD of the original set, so as to satisfy the people who had collected the individuals prior to Geneon shutting down so they wouldn't have to buy the season sets from FUNi too. So, the point being that you'd assume that if people had bought the first five (I think it was five that Geneon released before closing shop and signing the distribution rights over to FUNimation) then they would have enjoyed the series enough to have purchased the sixth and final one. You could also combine those numbers with the numbers they got from the sales of their season sets, and thus you should get a decent picture of the total interest in the series.

You could then logically think that fans that watched the entirety of the first season, would likely be interested in owning the second season. So, basically what I'm getting at here is FUNimation has at their disposal all the information needed to determine whether it was a strong seller or not, no matter who it was initially released under. Since no word on any further licensing of the series has come out, it's likely that the costs to license, dub, and put on DVD are greater than what they'd expect in return.
AilisKnil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The Higurashi anime is so shoddily made it's not even worth buying. Chiaki Kon is one of the most incompetent directors I am aware of, and the adaptation of Higurashi reflects this wonderfully.

Glad to see they're going the Rei route and putting another director in charge of Kira.
KN_guro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
DAT DELICIOUS TAKANO AND SATOSHI!

Still wishing I could own the Kai dvd's...
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Bunny Drop is so cute; I hope this shows up subbed in some LA theaters. I want to see it!

The manga is one of my favorites published today and I would also love to see it, but on the East Coast! Wink
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi is gonna be AWESOME. the OP sounds much too cheerful, though. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nunzia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:

"Daikichi!!"

Kawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~
I want to see it soon...can't wait for it!
Too bad I'll have to wait for the DVD... Crying or Very sad
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Bunny Drop getting a limited theatrical release in the US would be simply amazing! The manga is incredibly cute.

Ah, Smuggler...I never read it, but I do remember picking it up in the library and giggling with a friend over how the description on the back could be taken sexually. Smile But maybe I'll seriously try it out. It did seem interesting, after all.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:58 pm Reply with quote
So.....what do I have to do to get that Higurashi website to start streaming something? Because all I see are a bunch of pictures, a link to to it on Amazon JP, and a wall of unreadable Japanese text. Confused
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
Bunny Drop getting a limited theatrical release in the US would be simply amazing! The manga is incredibly cute.

Not unless they adapt it to US live-action. Laughing
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I must have missed the first article about there being more higurashi. I'm EXTREMELY happy to hear about this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1