• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My-HiME's English Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I just bought it today and I haven't watched it yet but... I have to say... I'm extremely disappointed in this release. I've been looking forward to a high quality release of My-HiME for nearly a year... and I get this crappy thing.

First the box, it's one of those cheap flimsy paper boxes. They bend easily and half of the boxes were already bent in the store. Bandai's capable of good quality boxes. I mean, just look at that Gundam SEED Destiny Box they just came out with. That thing looked nice and sturdy. The My-HiME box doesn't even look like any effort was put into making it, it has the same exact picture on each side and every other side just has the words "My-HiME" and "Collecter's addition". The T-shirt isn't anything special either. Just has the words "Property of Fuka Academy" in small print on the front and "My-HiME" on the back.

Next the extras, they are basically non-existant. There are no inserts in the DVD. The "extras" section on the DVD consists of the credits, trailers, (neither of which I really consider extras) and an unsubbed 30 second promo clip. That's all.

The dub... for such a highly anticipated title such as My-HiME, I would have expected them to use some well known VA's. Well, for ten of the characters this is their first role in an anime. Natsuki's VA has only done one other role. How could they choice Blue Water Studio's to dub My-HiME? It just doesn't make sense to me. I'll still watch the dub to see if it's any good, but I highly doubt a bunch of amateur English voice actors will be able to measure up anywhere near all of the experienced and well known seiyuu present in the Japanese verison.

I can't believe Bandai did such a low quality release for My-HiME. I know they're perfectly capable of coming out with good releases too. I've been more then pleased with all their releases of Galaxy Angel and their Gundam releases seem to be pretty nice too. Why did they do this to My-HiME? Does anybody else feel they did a low quality release with My-HiME?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
My store hasn't gotten it in yet (since it offically comes out Tuesday) but I did get the Newtype DVD insert and watched the first episode. It didn't seem too bad to me. I didn't recognize any of the American voices but sometimes some of them sound too much alike.

I'll let you know more of how it goes when I'm finally able to get my hands on it. Then we'll see how much I agree with you! Wink
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so it doesn't come out for two days. I guess my Best Buy just put it out early.

Ya, I just watched an episode and the dub isn't that bad. I don't really like Tate's voice though. Still, the Japanese is better IMO. I wasn't really talking about the actual quality of the voice acting in the dub before though. It just seems like they're not treating it as well as any of their other releases. I mean, half of the main characters are completely new to voice acting. The rest of them haven't really done that much either. I don't mind them using new voices, in fact I often like them using new voices, but the entire cast being relatively new? Why not just use a few? Or why not use them on Gundam Seed Destiny which everybody thinks is crap if they want to try out new voices?

And there's one more extra I didn't notice that apparently wasn't on the "Extras" menu. At the end of each episode they include those special character scenes that are like a minute long or so. They mainly seem to be for fanservice but I remember a few of them explaining some parts of the story that wasn't covered that much in the anime. Overall, I still see this as a pretty low quality release compared to Bandai's other releases.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Your store got it a couple of days early?

Lucky you. I've been waiting for that one ever since I caught clips of it in an AMV at a 'con earlier this year.

It's the top priority in my "to get reviewed" stack for this week, so I'll reserve judgment until I can do a full and proper review.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Berselius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I got the dvd early too. Despite the fact that many of the VAs are new, I honestly think they are pretty good. I already watched all 4 eps in english (Because I already know the japanese voices by heart). I think both Mai's and Natsuki's are very good, and that their performance does not display their inexperience. However, I have certain qualms with Tate and Nagi's voices. They are still acceptable, but they could have been better. Its nice that they included those small 2 minute extras in all the episodes, but yea, the lack of other extras make it somewhat dissapointing. But bandai has done less and less of that stuff lately (points to Scrapped Princess' extras).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
While the lack of an insert is disappointing, it has become standard for Bandai releases. I wasn't expecting Mai HiME to have one anyway.

As for the extras, they have the little clips between episodes, so I'm happy. Some character profiles would have been nice but aside from that, I don't know what else they could have done for extras.

I am disappointed to hear that even the artbox is low quality though.
Oppek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I guess sometimes what really matters to people is the content...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Some character profiles would have been nice but aside from that, I don't know what else they could have done for extras.

A clean opening/ending would have been nice. Maybe a few commercials and promo clips that are actually subbed. Some production artwork. Bandai never does commentaries so I expected them not to include one.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
Bandai is very hit or miss as far as extras go. I believe the only extras you get with Mars Daybreak and Scrapped Princess are three trailers. On the other hand the Planetes DVD have insane amounts of extras including audio commentary. The one disc volumes of Planetes still inlude the digital manga audio and audio dramas which reminded me of the cool extras on Bandai's Infinate Ryvius. Bandai's audio commentary on the new Bebop releases are also very well done.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Bandai is very hit or miss as far as extras go. I believe the only extras you get with Mars Daybreak and Scrapped Princess are three trailers. On the other hand the Planetes DVD have insane amounts of extras including audio commentary. The one disc volumes of Planetes still inlude the digital manga audio and audio dramas which reminded me of the cool extras on Bandai's Infinate Ryvius. Bandai's audio commentary on the new Bebop releases are also very well done.

There are textless open/closes on the first 2 Scrapped Princess discs.

The extras for other Bandai series, like Wolf's Rain, Please Teacher!, and Please Twins! are average to good...textless OP/ED, trailers, promos, music videos...Escaflowne is also decent, though that's mainly because of the Japanese "Club Escaflowne" extras, which weren't produced by Bandai, lazy punks Evil or Very Mad j/k

EDIT: *crosses fingers in hopes of getting Vol. 1 + Box in the mail today* Idk, to me, any artbox is better than no artbox at all; if it holds the DVDs, it's okay with me. I didn't even mind some of the old ADV ones that I picked up for Abenobashi, Super Gals, and DN Angel. And either way, I still want to "support" Mai/My-Hime, so even if the releases aren't the best, buying them is still worth it for that purpose.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
Yes, Bandai's releases really haven't been too impressive and I do agree Scrapped Princess is a good example. Geneon releases have seemed a little on the skimpy sides as well so Bandai isn't alone. Funi has the best releases as far as I've noticed, especially the FMA releases which have the booklet as well as the nice case and inside artwork.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:08 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Some character profiles would have been nice but aside from that, I don't know what else they could have done for extras.

A clean opening/ending would have been nice. Maybe a few commercials and promo clips that are actually subbed. Some production artwork. Bandai never does commentaries so I expected them not to include one.

I thought they did have the clean OP/EDs, but I guess not. And not subbing the promo clips is disappointing. Good thing I kept the fansub promos.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
American voice actors? Blue Water is in Calgary, Canada.

PantsGoblin wrote:
Bandai never does commentaries so I expected them not to include one.

Actually, they did one for Gundam F91 with Tony Oliver, Eric Sherman and Nobuo Masuda. I think that's the only one they ever did, though.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
North American voice actors then.
jg00neg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
The transfer for Hime is excellent so atleast Bandai is giving it the treatment it deserves. As for the the extras.... ??? yea, and don't even get me started on the so called artbox. I'll just say no effort was put into it at all. Over all disappointment level. Average. IMO this is what we've all come to expect with Bandai.... most of the time anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2