• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Good Smile Offers 12 Monthly Toys for Quake Charity

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maryohki

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:10 am Reply with quote
Okay, this is really cool. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out and pick at least one of these up. Nendoroids are cool. Nendoroids for a good cause are even cooler.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Well well, I like the look of Minami's Nendoroid...
gwdone

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Miku fan, and hate that I missed that pressing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
I'm a Miku fan, and hate that I missed that pressing

The print previous was this one, and it's widely available now if you're still interested in acquiring one.

As for the topic, time to swap the drool bucket for a 55 gallon drum. Now, if only GSC would open its direct-market shop to overseas customers.

I'd gladly pay MRSP just to know I'd actually get a figure.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
As for the topic, time to swap the drool bucket for a 55 gallon drum. Now, if only GSC would open its direct-market shop to overseas customers.

I'd gladly pay MRSP just to know I'd actually get a figure.

By "direct market" do you mean their online shop? I don't really see a need for that since you can get stuff so much cheaper at AmiAmi or even HLJ than from them. If you mean just for their made on demand stuff like the previous Miku and the upcoming figures then then that's already open, they'll be using it for Wonderfest, too.

As for the charity figures, now that we know they're doing more than just Nendos I'm hoping they'll do a figma next. I'd do that regardless of who the character is (assuming it isn't another Billy figure...). I'd go for a Gumako figma, they actually did make one head for her as a Wonderfest Photocon prize a couple years ago.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
By "direct market" do you mean their online shop? I don't really see a need for that since you can get stuff so much cheaper at AmiAmi or even HLJ than from them.

That's provided these outlets don't sell out before the order is processed. Personally, I'm rather tired of having "We're sorry, but we no longer have this item in stock" messages. With this direct sale, it's a guarantee given the orders taken dictate the production.

I'd definitely pay $20 more to ensure the figure I want is the figure I get without worries my order came in 100,349 out of 50,000 because I'm competing with.... you, just to name one. Wink

Oh yeah: I sent an email to GSC regarding our last conversation regarding profits. So far, no word back.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Emerje wrote:
By "direct market" do you mean their online shop? I don't really see a need for that since you can get stuff so much cheaper at AmiAmi or even HLJ than from them.

That's provided these outlets don't sell out before the order is processed. Personally, I'm rather tired of having "We're sorry, but we no longer have this item in stock" messages. With this direct sale, it's a guarantee given the orders taken dictate the production.

I'd definitely pay $20 more to ensure the figure I want is the figure I get without worries my order came in 100,349 out of 50,000 because I'm competing with.... you, just to name one. Wink

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Sure for these special items they do work on an "on-demand" basis, but even that is a limited time only thing. It's not like when something in their normal store sells out they just order more from the factory, their store operates like any other. When it's gone it's gone.

As far as stores selling out goes, that's what pre-orders are for. You don't have to worry about something selling out if you pre-order through HLJ or AmiAmi. I rarely order things as they come in, normally I have around 20 pre orders running at any given time (19 at the moment). It's easier to pre-order and forget than praying you'll be able to get something when it comes into stock before selling out. I use MyFigureCollection.net to keep track of what I've ordered and what I'm looking forward to.

Quote:
Oh yeah: I sent an email to GSC regarding our last conversation regarding profits. So far, no word back.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Most companies aren't going to give up that kind of information to just anyone unless it's something they're making public already. I've known a few people who have worked in the industry and I've read many, many articles on the process, I'd be very surprised if what I said wasn't accurate. There's a reason why big companies like Hasbro and Mattel love to recycle and re-purpose their molds, it's a great way to maximize profits at a minimal cost.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1