• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Flanagan's Rainbow

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote
That Video Girl Ai story is awesome, and at the same time its kind of sad about the obsessive nature of the fandom. Yes, I skipped the podcast to get to my question, then went back to listen to the whole thing. I am that egotistical. I really liked the Kenshin's manga translation given how hard it is to translate Kenshin's type of speech.

We are going to get a lot of people who come in claiming that some 20 year old on the internet are the best translators because professional translators simply don't care despite what Flanagan says.

The Pokemon manga was the first manga I ever owned. Really fun series, and fairly good art (even if Professor Oak looks like he was 40). Its kind of sad that Urusei Yatsura never became a hit since it's probably Takahashi's second best work behind Maison Ikkoku, just a brilliant gag mana.

Really great podcast though I am kind of sad that Zac and Justin didn't have a discussion at the start of it.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Really great podcast though I am kind of sad that Zac and Justin didn't have a discussion at the start of it.

We originally planned to, but the interview was so long that we thought it was better to let it stand by itself. We have resolved to do more discussion segments in the future, though. Smile
Kimani

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

We originally planned to, but the interview was so long that we thought it was better to let it stand by itself. We have resolved to do more discussion segments in the future, though. Smile

No matter the guest, your banter with Zac is a big highlight of the podcast.
FH14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
As someone whose only been into anime and manga for about a year its really interesting to hear about all the big moves in the industry in years past. Its also morbidly and unfortunately hilarious thinking how Viz had to try and catch up with Tokyopop considered the events going on today.

I tend to trust the professional translations more than the fan ones because, well, they're professional. It's also helped that I've seen instances where scanlators or fansubbers freely admit they've changed a line from its original meaning because they thought it would be funny. (Just off the top of my head, some of the changes ggsubs made to the first two seasons of Hetalia still make me cringe. And I mean, come on, its Hetalia, not exactly a work of brilliance that needs to be perfectly preserved, but still). All it really does though is reaffirm my trust in the professional industry, even moreso after listening to this interview.

Been buying up Tsubasa lately and will be checking out xxxholic after I finish (because I'm not stable enough to try processing both at the same time). Really love it so far, so...yeah. Great interview you guys. I certainly learned a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say that William Flanagan is exactly a "dead ringer" for Adam Savage, but he definitely would be able to fool people with that voice.

Anyway, I say that Mad Bull 34 should become "the next Heat Guy J" for the show; anytime it was brought up there was laughter and fun to be had. I certainly won't do it, but I do wonder how long it will take until someone adds Mr. Flanagan's name to Mad Bull's encyclopedia page after that revelation... It started off a little dry, but once it got going the entire interview was entertaining. Lots of good insight, fun stories, and overall a great episode.

One question, though: When Flanagan mentioned working on Heroic Legend of Arslan, who whispered "Yes!" right afterwards? Was it Zac or Justin? I'm only wondering because it just sounded so odd to hear something like that just come out of nowhere.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Probably Justin since Arslan's a big favorite of his
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I remember a point in the scanlations for Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles where the scanlators put in an extra page explaining how there were four different translations for a key word and it's times like that that make me extra happy for professional translators (the scanlators did their best but the professional translation was much better there). So, thanks for all the hard work on the series!

FH14 wrote:
It's also helped that I've seen instances where scanlators or fansubbers freely admit they've changed a line from its original meaning because they thought it would be funny. (Just off the top of my head, some of the changes ggsubs made to the first two seasons of Hetalia still make me cringe. And I mean, come on, its Hetalia, not exactly a work of brilliance that needs to be perfectly preserved, but still).

I know exactly what you mean, they've made some weird, off-color jokes in Star Driver and in AnoHana recently which are just annoying. Yet another reason why simulcasts are so much nicer than fansubs.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I had assumed they changed the translation because they wanted to be distinct....thank you for setting me straight, it makes more sense that they were just working independently. (though keep in mind, Evangelion: Death & Rebirth notoriously translated established dialogue differently *on purpose* to "be distinct", so there's the fear of that...)
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Kimani wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

No matter the guest, your banter with Zac is a big highlight of the podcast.

I second this.

Great podcast in any case. The part I found most intriguing was the bit about how careful Bill has to be when translating CLAMP's manga. I honestly never have given the translators much thought. Obviously I should.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quite enjoyed the podcast. A lot of behind-the-scenes details that one wouldn't necessarily think of. I also found the Patlabor references quite interesting. I was very intrigued by both movies when I first saw them years ago, and they helped draw me to the Patlabor series in their various incarnations. They also helped to further fuel my interest in other works from Mr. Oshii and anime in general.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Now I'm really interested in "The Heroic Legend of Arislan". Just confused about which edition that I should get out of the three listed in the encyclopedia.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Absolutely loved this episode, guys.

Even with manga translation and adaptation being a personal favorite of mine I think there was so many layers of insightful information to be found in this one that I hadn't expected to discover. (Gotta make time to go back and listen to the rest of the 'pods I've missed once life issues settle down a tiny bit)

I was wondering (and I pose this question to anyone in the know): there is an entry in the encyclopedia for a Bill Flanagan as well as a William Flanagan, both of whom are credited with translation and being an editor-in-chief of some manga projects in the US. I was wondering if these entries are of separate people as I suspect. The basis for this suspicion is due to two specific titles I've read personally: Kobato and xxxHolic, which have vastly different quality in terms of translation and adaptation (in my opinion). The former being very accessible and sounding natural, whereas the latter comes off as static, clinical, and awkwardly phrased a number of times even in recent volumes. In xxxHolic's case this is something by which I've always been disheartened.

I was truly touched and gladdened by how passionate and considerate William sounded in this interview regarding all aspects of his work, so I'm hoping my speculation is correct and these are indeed different individuals.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Now I'm really interested in "The Heroic Legend of Arislan". Just confused about which edition that I should get out of the three listed in the encyclopedia.

They're all the same discs except for the red box, which is dub only.

(Yes, that was me quietly celebrating)

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I was wondering (and I pose this question to anyone in the know): there is an entry in the encyclopedia for a Bill Flanagan as well as a William Flanagan, both of whom are credited with translation and being an editor-in-chief of some manga projects in the US. I was wondering if these entries are of separate people as I suspect. The basis for this suspicion is due to two specific titles I've read personally: Kobato and xxxHolic, which have vastly different quality in terms of translation and adaptation (in my opinion).

Pretty sure they're the same person and should be merged. Haven't read xxxHolic, but given his huge body of work, I wouldn't judge him too harshly on just one or two works.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I was wondering (and I pose this question to anyone in the know): there is an entry in the encyclopedia for a Bill Flanagan as well as a William Flanagan, both of whom are credited with translation and being an editor-in-chief of some manga projects in the US. I was wondering if these entries are of separate people as I suspect. The basis for this suspicion is due to two specific titles I've read personally: Kobato and xxxHolic, which have vastly different quality in terms of translation and adaptation (in my opinion).

Pretty sure they're the same person and should be merged. Haven't read xxxHolic, but given his huge body of work, I wouldn't judge him too harshly on just one or two works.

Ah, okay. I went back and listened to the podcast again and after hearing about the subjectivity and evolution translators - even a single person - go through, to such a degree that even the same person's work can seem like 2 different translators in the span of a few years makes me see the Holic translations in a new light. The same I can say for Tsubasa, the translation of which left me very confused at certain points, but given how that series ended I hold absolutely no blame for Mr. Flanagan. No one could've made that manga make sense by that point.

Thanks so much for replying, jsevakis.

I'm definitely gonna try to make time to see the series he's worked on that he mentioned, and I've already got A Bride's Story and Kannagi earmarked on my calendar.
Nayu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:05 am Reply with quote
Thanks for having a fantastic guest this week!

Is there a podcast where Justin talks about his time with CPM in detail like Bill did about Viz? I'd like to listen to that!

And, in a related note, besides being awesome on this site Justin, what are you doing in the industry lately?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5