• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation possible licensor for 3rd Tenchi OAV????

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I am not thrilled with this news.

While FUNimation has been making strides to become more appealing to anime fans, Fruits Basket's dub is a true example of how far they have to go. Unfortunately, they're turning their talents (or lack thereof) onto one of the more significant anime of the past decade. Tenchi Muyo, particularly the hyper-anticipated 3rd OAV, is not fodder for a marketing experiment. The exquisite Pioneer dub, coupled with the tastefulness of their presentation, is going to be nigh impossible for FUNimation to live up to.

As I recall, they never confirmed a commitment to bringing back the original dub cast of Tenchi Muyo for their GXP dub. If this is the case, then it does not bode well for an OAV dub. It's almost inconceivable to think of replacing Matt K. Miller, Petrea Burchard, Ellen Gerstel, Jennifer Darling, K.T. Vogt, and Sherri Lynn. I can only recall the similar disappointment in the dub of the Ah! My Goddess movie.

Naturally, of course, the simple solution is to watch the subtitled version. But the fact still remains that FUNimation just may not have the approach necessary, either. There's (actually) a certain grace to the OAV that Pioneer had always reflected. The layout of their OAV Limited Edition set and the 3rd movie are perfect examples of this.

If FUNimation does indeed intend to license the 3rd OAV, they have their work cut out for them. I fear that they simply do not comprehend how many Tenchi-obsessed fans are out there, like me, who are just as ready as I am to cut them down to size for even the slightest error.
Case

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh pish. Nothings even happened yet. You're just miffed because you're faced with change.

Step back, relax, give them some room, and wait for something to actually be produced. If there are problems then, do whatever you please, but give them a fricking break for the moment. They don't even officially have it, much less given thought to the cast they might use or how they'll set up the DVDs.

Personally, I think there's a pretty good chance that they *will* bring back at least most of the old cast, if only to make the series more appealing to the dubbies who saw the existing OAV animation on Cartoon Network. But even if they don't, it won't be the end of the world. Matt K Miller isn't actually essential to making Tenchi who he is. If they *do* license it, and they *do* use a new VA, you should still give the new guy his fair shake and judge him on his own merits rather than how similar he is to Matt K Miller. Just imagine if *you* were the one being picked for the role.

Craeyst Raygal wrote:
As I recall, they never confirmed a commitment to bringing back the original dub cast of Tenchi Muyo for their GXP dub.

The characters they played are only in GXP for like one episode, so that makes little to no difference, and really has no bearing on what they'd do *if* they took on the OAV. =P
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:59 pm Reply with quote
As the the Funi rep said at AX when asked why they got Tenchi GXP and not Pioneer: "We paid for it!" It all comes down to who gets their foot in the door first, very few production companies do work exclusively for one company (Sunrise for Bandai all I can think of). Everyone thought Gonzo was strictly Pioneer, that changed. Manga Ent. got the Eva movies, not ADV. Columbia Tristar got the Beebop Movie, not Bandai. Its all about the $$$$$$ Twisted Evil
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Case, if the change signified that the series would be given more support, more funding, and would be better off for the change, I'm all for it. But FUNi's track record is far from good.

I'm not saying Pioneer is without fault. I was sorely miffed when they replaced Juliet Cesario (from the Animeigo OAV dub) as Belldandy with Ruby Marlowe. The two sounded similar (Marlowe was a little higher, not nearly as melodic) but it was obvious she wasn't nearly as engaged in the role as Miss Cesario was.

That's what concerns me. I do not believe that FUNimation has the passion for the series that Pioneer did, much like Pioneer didn't have the interest in Ah! My Goddess that Animeigo did. Having more money does not mean that it'll be a better product.

If this were any other series I'd laugh at me, too. But this is the climax of one of the most influential, most beloved, and most talked about series in the last decade. Even if they could afford it, I don't believe that FUNimation is able to see past possible Cartoon Network ratings in order to give Tenchi its proper due. Honestly, Tenchi Muyo needs to go out with a bang, not a whimper.

If FUNimation can pull it off, more power to them. But it's "Guilty until proven Innocent" in my book until, AND IF, they do.

And yes, I realize that this is all rumor.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I wish Tenchi were worth all this outrage. It would be a better world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Use the talkback thread.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1