• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mega Man Creators Bring Mighty No. 9 to PS4, Xbox One

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
This just shows how devoted and loyal fans of Inafune's work are. After all, if it wasn't for stupid Capcom's idiotic decision to cancel MML3, this wouldn't be happening. So in a twisted way, it was "good" that they cancelled it, so all the fans' energy could be better devoted to supporting true innovation rather than empty promises.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:01 am Reply with quote
If the real thing plays as sooth as that test footage looks, this game is going to be a hot mama.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 am Reply with quote
I still don't get how these kickstarter things work. Does this mean the game is getting a normal retail release? A download only release? Are only the pledges getting a chance to buy it. Is the goal to eventually release it so anyone can buy it? Just what does that mean its coming to the ps4 and xbox one?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:26 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I still don't get how these kickstarter things work. Does this mean the game is getting a normal retail release? A download only release? Are only the pledges getting a chance to buy it. Is the goal to eventually release it so anyone can buy it? Just what does that mean its coming to the ps4 and xbox one?

It means now they have money to make the game. And they raised enough money to do whatever work is necessary to make it multi-platform.

It'll be digital distro for all platforms. No physical release. And yes it will be available for retail sale for all. Backers get their version of choice first, and probably at a reduced price compared to the retail price.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:11 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I still don't get how these kickstarter things work.

Kickstarter is just a funding site that lets random people fund stuff that they are interested in. Creators set a certain amount that they need to make something. If the funding reaches that, they make it. If they don't, nothing happens.

Quote:
Does this mean the game is getting a normal retail release?

This is highly unlikely unless the digital release is a smash hit.

Quote:
A download only release?

This is how it's going to be released as described on the Kickstarter site.

Quote:
Are only the pledges getting a chance to buy it. Is the goal to eventually release it so anyone can buy it?

They plan on releasing it on the marketplaces for this platforms. Anyone with access to the marketplaces (ie anyone connecting their platform to the internet) will be able to buy it.

Quote:
Just what does that mean its coming to the ps4 and xbox one?

When a title is described as "coming to" it means that it's going to be released for that platform. For example, prior to the release of the NES game Super Mario Bros 3, Nintendo might have told the press that "Super Mario Bros 3 is coming to the NES".
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, guess i might snag it on psn at some point if that is the case.

I've looked at a few of these and the lack of physical release is usually why I never bothered with them. But Inafune is awesome, so Ill pick it up on digital download if its his work.
lostrune

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
true innovation

Innovation generally doesn't mean rehashing a game from 25 years ago in an industry where indie retro platforms are as common as sand on a beach Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
Innovation generally doesn't mean rehashing a game from 25 years ago in an industry where indie retro platforms are as common as sand on a beach Laughing

There's also quality attached to name.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
lostrune wrote:

There's also quality attached to name.

Quality doesn't negate the fact that rehashing a game from 25 years ago in an industry where indie retro platforms are as common as sand on a beach isn't innovation. Kickstarter is littered with old school game devs making sequels or spiritual successors to games they made 20 years back. Not even that aspect could be considered innovation at this point.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
Sigh...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1