• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Loveless dub

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if Media Blasters' release of the Loveless DVDs was only in Japanese with subtitles, excluding any dubbed version. I heard that was possible from an anime review site: http://www.sleepisfortheweak.org/reviews/loveless/#anime The below quote is an excerpt from the reviewer...

Quote:
"Since it's coming out through Media Blasters, I heard it may not contain a dub, but I hope that's not true--I'd love to see a company try and dub this."

I'm seriously worried that there might not be an English dub of the series, Anime cry seeing as how A.N.N.'s encyclopedia doesn't have any V/As listed, nor does numerous other sites I've checked that normally have hard-to-find-elsewhere-information on animes.

Can someone tell me if this is true or not? Thanks. (oh, and please forgive me if this has been asked/answered before somewhere else. There's no search engine I could find in the forum)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
Did you check the encyclopedia first?
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Nope, there's no dub. The Media Blasters release of Loveless is subs only.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Did you check the encyclopedia first?

Yes, I did check the encyclopedia beforehand, that's one of the reasons I wanted to ask because I was unsure... since the English voice cast wasn't listed at all. Anime cry

Wolverine Princess wrote:
Nope, there's no dub. The Media Blasters release of Loveless is subs only.

Really? Now I'm even more confused. I looked up Loveless on Amazon and the info they have directly contradicts the info provided here: They stated its publisher is a studio called "Anime Works" and that it DOES have both Japanese AND English languages available for the DVD.

So.... are they wrong, or is A.N.N.? Somebody's gotten their wires seriously crossed here (or am I just oblivious to something painfully obvious?). Confused
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C6NP5Y/ref=ase_animenewsnetw-20/103-3163079-8827045?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130&tagActionCode=animenewsnetw-20
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Anime Works is Media Blasters' regular anime label so it's pretty much the same thing. Also Amazon is wrong; there is no English dub made. For some odd reason Media Blasters tend to not dub any of their shounen-ai and yaoi titles.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Anime Works is Media Blasters' regular anime label so it's pretty much the same thing. Also Amazon is wrong; there is no English dub made. For some odd reason Media Blasters tend to not dub any of their shounen-ai and yaoi titles.

WHAT!? God, that completely SUCKS! Mad I was all looking forwrad to hearing the English voices for Loveless, maybe even getting my hopes up for some awesome-voice-matches to the characters! But nOOOooOOOo! (sarcasm) Reality has to punch me in the face like some freakin' angry anime-hater! Grrr..... Evil or Very Mad

I mean, okay, I like the Japanese voices; they're good and match the characters, but C'MON! I don't wanna have to read the subs forever!

Ugh... Well, thanks for letting me know. I don't understand why any Amiercan anime company wouldn't make a dub. I mean, that just seems lazy/stupid to me. And why only their Boys' love/shounen-ai/yaoi ones? Anyone...? Bah, this is going to take some time to sink in. Please forgive my angry outburst/rantings. I really do appriciate the info... *sigh*
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
It costs more money to produce a dub than it does a subtitled version, so if the company is releasing a niche title that they think may not sell well, then they may not bother dubbing it.

It's unfortunate, but still happens quite a bit, as with Super GALS! season 2 (really happy it's finally coming out, but it's a little disappointing since I love the first season's dub)
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
It costs more money to produce a dub than it does a subtitled version, so if the company is releasing a niche title that they think may not sell well, then they may not bother dubbing it.

It's unfortunate, but still happens quite a bit, as with Super GALS! season 2 (really happy it's finally coming out, but it's a little disappointing since I love the first season's dub)

Well, I can understand that, and it makes quite a lot of sense in buisness terms (logically speaking), but what I don't understand is that they chose to leave Loveless, a series with literally legions of fans, without a dub. *sigh*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1