• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dub Studio to Enter Graphic Novel Market

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote
At least we'll never have to put up with the fanboy Japanese endemic to a disturbing number of translations...
LordRobin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Great. 'because, y'know, we really needed yet another manga publisher.

The peak of a bubble is always marked by unlikely companies trying to get in on the action. For example, just before the OVA bubble burst in the early 90's, NEC (the cash register company), opened an anime division and put out Sol Bianca.

I know that Bang Zoom getting into manga isn't that silly, since they do have translation experience, but they have zero publishing experience. And the manga market is pretty well saturated. And bookstores don't plan to add any more space for manga. And they started sending back the stuff that doesn't sell.

Hold onto your hats, folks. It's all downhill from here.

------RM
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote
First of all, "NCR" is the cash register company, not NEC.

Second, let's not be pessimistic about this. It was just announced, so we really shouldn't speculate yet.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:21 am Reply with quote
LordRobin wrote:
Hold onto your hats, folks. It's all downhill from here.

That's a little too pessimistic an outlook, even for a coldly logical person like me who thinks the manga market is approaching a slowdown.

There is room for even more growth in both the anime and manga arenas, but it's going to go through spurts. My personal opinion, based on my admitedly limited knowledge of the sales, is that right now the manga industry is approaching a slowdown, like the one the anime industry went through.

However, I feel that this medium, unlike anime, has significantly less bias towards it and will rebound far faster. The main reason for the current slow down is having so many popular titles and not enough currency on an individual level. It's less that people aren't reading and more that they can't afford to read everything they want to. The few statistics I've seen on the subject show that the majority of manga fans are also anime fans. DVDs are a lot more expensive.

Also, I imagine that there are far more people keeping scanlations of manga than fansubs of anime. Reasoning: manga is more likely to be edited. If an anime series is released with a Japanese language track, it's almost certain that it will be unedited (not an absolute, but it's very likely) whereas manga are often edited to some degree (i.e. sound effects translations, youth smoking, etc.)

Right now, some companies are editing more. This is hurting the overall industry because it removes the built in core audiences in many cases. Less editing equals more buyers and more positive word of mouth. If I'm angry that my favorite series was edited, why would I recommend that someone buy it? Right?

My guess is that the industry will continue to pick up new converts in batches and that, once the editing fever dies, there will be more sales as many hardcores come back.

A few years from now, we'll all look back at the slump that's coming and laugh about it. While we read manga.
ghoumschloqie
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I just wanted to clear one thing up. Bang Zoom is actually creating its own original graphic novel. Something that has been in development for quite some time now. There are no current or future plans of translating or publishing any Manga titles. Sorry for the confusion.

Sincerely,

Mark Fujita
Creative Director
Bang Zoom! Entertainment
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
God Gundam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
First of all, "NCR" is the cash register company, not NEC.

Yeah, NEC makes (or made) computers. I have one of their old laptops from the early '90s that doesn't even work anymore (it's one of those old ones without speakers, so when you play games, you hear blips and bleeps like on the original Game Boy). I don't think the company's even around anymore.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:24 am Reply with quote
please!! no more shojo/gothic/yaoi/harem manga

the american market is saturated of those sucky genres, when the most important ones are not even here....

Gantz, Grappler Baki, Ichi the killer, Worst (cancelled for low sales after book 3) Soten no Ken, Hokuto no ken and the list goes on and on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1