• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Set in America

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizardking461

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Ha, and here I thought Kotetsu would be an underdog!
For me, 2013 hasn't been a great year in anime, but it was hard to choose between Uchouten Kazoku, Maou-sama, and Gargantia...

Edit: completely forgot about and didn't see Gatchaman... oops.

Last edited by lizardking461 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Lynzee for the new poll! I am very interested in learning which series is everyone's favorite. I voted for Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet. It is not a perfect anime, but I enjoyed it a lot.

If the poll was asking which is the best (in overall quality) anime series of 2013, I would have voted for Flowers of Evil .
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
No Kaleidostar?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I knew Baccano was gonna be somewhere on this list, but No. 1? Not that I'm complaining, because it deserves it. Very Happy

As for my favorite of the year, due to college-related shenanigans I've unfortunately seen very little anime this year, so it was a tie between Attack on Titan, Part-Timer, and Outbreak Company. I'm enjoying the crap out of Kill la Kill, but it's not even halfway finished yet, so I'm not gonna pick that. I thought of picking either Devil Survivor 2 or Danganronpa purely because I adore the games they're adapted from, but they aren't exactly the greatest of VG adaptations.

So, I'm going with Part-Timer.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
I would've gone with Eden of the East. Sure, only the first episode took place in the US, but their representation of DC was more accurate than any Hollywood production I've ever seen, and the voice actors doing Americans spoke perfectly.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Nice list and selection. Too bad A Wind Named Amnesia wasn't there, but hey…

Goku #2 for favorite anime dad? OK, I guess, being a popular character, but wasn't Piccolo more of a dad to Gohan than he ever was? I don't remember him being around that much for Goten, either. For that matter, I guess Vegeta's one of my favorite anime dads, then… Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote
That's a heck of a poll. Must've been fun typing those all in.

Fully expecting Attack on Titan to come out on top, but it'll be interesting to see what else scores. I ended up voting for My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU.
Durga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Argh, this is a tough poll. It comes down to a three-way brawl between FLOWERS OF EVIL, THE ECCENTRIC FAMILY, and KILL LA KILL.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Little Busters Refrain for my top anime of 2013. Valvrave would be 2nd on my list.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I give my vote to Kyousogiga. It's the most charming thing I've ever seen. I love it!

Last edited by Ignatz on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 am; edited 7 times in total
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Heroman made the list, it needs more recognition.

As for the poll, glad that Goku and Minato ranked high.

As for the poll, I voted for Attack on Titan, although Railgun S was really good, better than I though, even if the final arc wasn't as good as the first.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
That's a heck of a poll. Must've been fun typing those all in.

Fully expecting Attack on Titan to come out on top, but it'll be interesting to see what else scores. I ended up voting for My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU.

Never question my love for you guys Wink That poll took me over 30 minutes of monotonous data entry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
This was a tough poll to answer. There were a lot of series that I enjoyed a fair amount, so to narrow it down I first eliminated anything that's currently airing. I want to judge things on their entire body of work, because endings and make or break a series. Then I cut out titles that ended while pretty much hinting at a second (or third) season. After trimming all that down, I felt that The Eccentric Family was the most enjoyable, fully contained show this year. Could they make more? I suppose, but it just felt like it ended nicely with no need to go any further.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I was about to riot until I realized that The Eccentric Family was alphabetized under T. Smile

Space Brothers mostly (or maybe about half?) takes place in Texas.. And according to 15th century rules, the US owns the moon too. Wink

Also Phantom ˜Requiem for the Phantom˜ is set in the US (New York, I think? plus some L.A. and other American locations).

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Oops, almost missed the Favorite Anime of 2013 poll… Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Lots of great anime this year, but I ultimately chose Majestic Prince over a tight battle with Nagi no Asukara and KILL la KILL, in that order. It was one of the best done and most enjoyable anime I have watched in the last few years, thanks to its direction, depth, character development, and insanely-choreographed (and well-animated) action scenes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4