• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whats the best of Neon Genesis Evangelion Soundtracks?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wattsjay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I was just wanted to know whats the best of EVA soundtracks? If I can only buy two.

Thanks
RantingOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:54 am Reply with quote
hmmm... of the 26 soundtracks? I'd have to say get the first OST, and maybe one of the movies... basically it's your decision, see if the store will let you listen to part of them.
Baka Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I was told about the S2 cd (its a multiple cd set which contains about all the bgm and songs from the series as well as a bonus cd of the soundtrack to death:rebirth). I am currently looking for more details on it.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:51 pm Reply with quote
OST III has always been my favorite, though for background music to listen to at work or something, Refrain probably works best.

Last edited by CorneredAngel on Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:15 am Reply with quote
If you want a good sampling of music, try the Second Impact CD. It has all of the important vocals (op, ed, Tamashii no Refuran, Komm süsser tod, Thanatos) as well as some of the instrumentals.

The 3rd soundtrack is pretty good, too. It at least has 2 of the image songs that can't be found on any of the other CDs (like the songs that Shinji's playing on his CD player).
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I may be wrong, but I think OST II has two more of those (the first two tracks), plus all of the image songs appear on Refrain. Well, and in the VERY guilty pleasures department, there's always Vox...which at least has the advantage of the kickass tin case. Worth $35?...well...it *is* a really pretty tin case x_X
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Eh, Thantos has no vocals. But it is a pretty good instrumental. As for the best Eva cd, dang, I would go with OST 3 or that one that has 8 versions of Fly me to the moon.

Last edited by king_micah on Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:42 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Eh, Thantos has no vocals. But it is a pretty good instumental. As for the best Eva cd, dang, I would go with OST 3 or that one that has 8 versions of Fly me to the moon.

You were probably listening to the instrumental version of Thanatos, because the song certainly *does* have lyrics. In fact, you can check them out here. The 2nd Impact CD also has the instrumental version of this song-- the jazzy one that you may have heard. I do believe that most of the OSTs have multiple versions of Fly Me to the Moon, including OSTIII.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:06 pm Reply with quote
king_micah wrote:
Eh, Thantos has no vocals. But it is a pretty good instrumental. As for the best Eva cd, dang, I would go with OST 3 or that one that has 8 versions of Fly me to the moon.

"Thanatos" (off OST III) doesn't; nor does the piano version ("Migawari no Shinyu") off End of Evangelion. "Thanatos-If I Can't Be Yours" off End of Evangelion and Evangelion: Vox is the version with lyrics.

And like hell it's eight! More like twelve, including the way too amusingly trance-ish "Aya London Beat Version"

---

Bottom line is, Gainax is way too big on recycling music. Although arguably, there are actual *reasons* they do it. Well, except for using Eva music in certain episodes of Abenobashi; that's wank.
king_micah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't notice the Eva music in Abeno, was it in episode three? It would of fit there of all places.
I think the Fly me to the moons come from the orginal plan to have a differant one for every episode. My dvds don't show that, but I know that ADV also didn't do the different colors for a long time.
gnollman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I am a huge fan of the Refrain: songs inspired by Evangelion disc...

If you just want the score to the anime, then you need the S2 set...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1