• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote

Your Lie in April (TV)

Genres: drama, romance
Themes: music

Based on the manga written by Naoshi Arakawa.

Plot Summary: Kousei Arima was a piano prodigy until his mother died when he was eleven years old. The shock of losing her made him lose any interest in piano, and his life has felt monotonous ever since. Then, when he's fourteen, his childhood friend Tsubaki introduces him to her classmate Kaori, a free-spirited violinist. Her enthusiasm reignites his interest in music and in life.

Previews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk39zsayK_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpQo_gZbaCM
----------------------------------

Announced back around March, I think this show has great potential with what it has set up so far - both character casts and story premise. The PV suggests about a girl named Kaori with a passion for playing music. The encounter between her and Arima will definitely begin a story as they face all sort of challenges in life.

The manga has won a reward before Best Shōnen Manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

That was gorgeous. The animation had very strong animation quality with a catchy tone. I love the main characters already and there's even an additionally element of music in it.

spoiler[I think there are some potential flags raised for romance soon too but it's vague for now]. This really reminds me of Nodame Cantabile too.

>spoiler[I'm a violist]
Nice. I think that made the point with the premise. Anyways, a very strong start so far. I really liked the mood of the show already. The ED theme song is cute too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
This one looks fun.
The art is really nice too.
I like the characters as well.
Getting a good vibe from this one.
Might give it a try.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
The whole "love at first sight, making the world more beautiful" thing may just be thematically incompatible with me (along with "music is something that matters in some fashion"), which is too bad, because I think there's a lot of quality creation here.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
April is Your Lie or Your Lie in April or, autotranslated, "April is a Lie for You": One, the last one actually makes sense to me and Two, this may not have a Rom Com happy ending as what it actually means is that "Spring/romance will not come for you." or paraphrased, "You first love will totally suck".

But sure it has all the trappings of a sappy romantic comedy with a boring guy and manic pixie dream girl {good thing I saw the show before reading the reviews of the first episode} but through the entire episode, I kept looking at Tsubaki and I wondering what she thought about it because, yeah, I saw those eyes of hers at the recital...

Doesn't help that the show that I first thought of after watching it was True Tears.
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This is shonen alright. Dream girl comes into depressed main guy's life and sweeps him off his feet. I'm not particularly fond of any character or couple yet but it looks so pretty I can't dislike it.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm I have to brush up on musical intruments. I have never heard of or see a melodica before. Anyway this was a charming first episode. It was interesting to see blondie like the mc's guy friend, although this should change later on.

I never liked it when parents force their own dreams on their child. The mother was also abusive Sad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

LOVE SQUARE!

Interestingly I think the spoiler[guy might know that the childhood friend likes him, he accepts that she must see things colourful when she talks about colour and love thing. His dialogue kind of says that he has never been in love, I am kind of reminded somewhat of Clannad by a certain scene of colour.]

I like it so far.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Hmmm I have to brush up on musical intruments. I have never heard of or see a melodica before. Anyway this was a charming first episode. It was interesting to see blondie like the mc's guy friend, although this should change later on.

I never liked it when parents force their own dreams on their child. The mother was also abusive Sad.

You can see the melodica in Nodame Cantabile too. Not in the first episode, but it has been used somewhere in the first season. If you like classical music and haven't given this show a try... you really should.

As for this show, I liked the first episode and was surprised to see the true nature of the mother. The tsundere was a bit much and the marilyn monroe cliche a bit cliche, but oh well. I have faith that this show will be good.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Nice opening episode. Bit cliched with the manic pixie dream girl childhood friend, but she wasn't too annoying which was nice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Why does Arima say his eyes are brown? Did he forget he has blue eyes after losing his color vision or is there some additional symbolism I'm not grasping, like his eyes don't appear blue to other people, just the viewer?

This is off to a decent start, which is saying something because this genre so frequently fails for me. Arima is charming in a grim yet befuddled sort of way.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Kaori is so spoiler[talented and beautiful on stage. What a star. I have great hopes for the girl if she can keep it up.]

Now, I do hope spoiler[we learn more about these characters' backgrounds soon since it seems like glimpses of their flashbacks aren't too pleasant. Great visual artwork as usual.]
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
And all I could think was "who has to sweep up all those petals?"
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Well it's been awhile since I've been in middle school but these characters seem to act a bit more mature than that.

Otherwise I am enjoying it. It's very pretty looking and I like the classical musical angle. It brings back Nodame Cantabile for me. I can even pretend that blonde haired girl is the child of Nodame & Chiaki. I don't care that she has a different surname.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Was that bit with the friend saying that spoiler[it is natural to like someone who likes someone else pretty much a hint that the one he actually likes is the childhood friend who is crushing on the MC]?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12