• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaika - The Coffin Princess Listed With 5 50-Minute Blu-ray Discs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Seems like split cours allow them to cut episodes if the first half hasn't done well.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, looks like we'll be getting 10 episodes for Chaika 2. Just hope they can finish it off well.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:51 am Reply with quote
This hurts...

They managed to squeeze 6 novels into 12 episodes, and now they are going to have to squeeze 6 more into 10. I hope they can do it, because I adore this series waaaay too much...
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:10 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This hurts...

They managed to squeeze 6 novels into 12 episodes, and now they are going to have to squeeze 6 more into 10. I hope they can do it, because I adore this series waaaay too much...

Haven't they squeezed 5 novels in 11 eps+1 anime-original ep with false Chaika?
Chipp12

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This hurts...

Haven't they squeezed 5 novels in 11 eps+1 anime-original ep with false Chaika?

1-2 = 1st vol
3-4 = 2nd vol
5-6 = 4th vol
7 = 3rd vol
8 = original
9 = original + flashback from 1st vol
10 = 5th vol
11 = 5th + 6th vol
12 = 6th vol
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
Oh. Thanks for the info. I thought eps 10-12 were 5th vol only.

In this case they could manage to adapt all the story cause vol. 12 probably will be either some sort of epilogue or side-stories compilation. Plus the still have an OVA.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This hurts...

Not sure about that. Since the writer has already fallen behind schedule, seeing as the last released volume was the 9th one, it might not be a bad thing. Since they only really have 3 novels (maybe 4 during the airing) to work off of, the rest may just be made up of any skeleton outlines that the writer has made for the final volumes.

Potentially, with less dense material to cover, it may end up being a blessing...even with the lost 50 minutes due to being 10 instead of 12 episodes. While 12 episodes spanning 6 volumes could be a rush job, 10 episodes spanning 3 volumes and whatever notes the writer has may end up being just right.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
It's lucky as hell to have a second cour anyway, so I'll take a slightly trimmed second cour over nothing any day.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Would also point out that running time listings on Amazon (and other sites, for that matter) aren't always perfectly accurate. That listing could just be making unfounded assumptions about the last volume or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Would also point out that running time listings on Amazon (and other sites, for that matter) aren't always perfectly accurate. That listing could just be making unfounded assumptions about the last volume or two.

All the volumes have the exact same price. We will only get 12 episodes if they, for whatever reason, only put up the first 5 volumes.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This hurts...

Not sure about that. Since the writer has already fallen behind schedule, seeing as the last released volume was the 9th one, it might not be a bad thing. Since they only really have 3 novels (maybe 4 during the airing) to work off of, the rest may just be made up of any skeleton outlines that the writer has made for the final volumes.

Potentially, with less dense material to cover, it may end up being a blessing...even with the lost 50 minutes due to being 10 instead of 12 episodes. While 12 episodes spanning 6 volumes could be a rush job, 10 episodes spanning 3 volumes and whatever notes the writer has may end up being just right.

Vol. 10 comes this month. And Vol. 11 in December. And don't forget that Sakaki himself works with the anime team. So they will now all the events beforehand.

It always amazes me than some people think: "If this LN volume won't be published before 1st ep airs, than they won't adapt it".
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This hurts...

Vol. 10 comes this month. And Vol. 11 in December. And don't forget that Sakaki himself works with the anime team. So they will now all the events beforehand.

It always amazes me than some people think: "If this LN volume won't be published before 1st ep airs, than they won't adapt it".

Also the final volume, 12 comes out in march and it will have an OVA as well with it, if this series is 10 eps than most likely the OVA will be some sort of epilouge to conclude the series. the author has pretty much thought this ahead. Smile i am somewhat dissapointed but considering it will have a conclusion when most series never do, it is a slight price to pay.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:13 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:

Yeah? I'm always amazed at people who seem to read something that wasn't posted. Where did I say something wouldn't get adapted?

I made mention that they may not have as dense material due to a lack of LNs, not that they wouldn't be adapting a story given by the author. Potentially, the anime team may not have had notes that are as detailed as what may be in the LNs in some instances, creating differences between the anime and LN.

Whether or not that happens is something that I'll probably never know...unless the LN series gets licensed in the west.

Thespacemaster wrote:
Also the final volume, 12 comes out in march and it will have an OVA as well with it, if this series is 10 eps than most likely the OVA will be some sort of epilouge to conclude the series.

Ah, that is something that did slip my mind. Hopefully we get to see that OVA here when the series is released on DVD/BD, as I assume that there will be a release for this series, seeing as Sentai licensed it.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 am Reply with quote
You clearly said "they have to adpt only 3 volumes now". And BTW Sakaki himself wrote via Twitter that "vol. 7-11 will be adapted in S2" and "vol. 11 will be the end of the story"
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
@Nachtwandler - Please, read again.
Quote:
Since they only really have 3 novels (maybe 4 during the airing) to work off of, the rest may just be made up of any skeleton outlines that the writer has made for the final volumes.

No where does that say "they only have to adapt 3 volumes".

I was speculating, I questioned the material they have to adapt. I don't know how much of the remaining volumes are completed/not completed, so some of what may be adapting may be based on notes that aren't as detailed as a LN.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1