• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Strange Alien Species

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:35 pm Reply with quote
All solid picks, although for the SD entry I might have gone with the fourth-dimensional being instead, as that's just so different from anything else.

Can't believe I missed the OST question, since I do regularly listen to them. My top pick would be the .hack//SIGN one (I'm a little disappointed that it only came out 10th, since I've never heard a better one), and other strong ones that didn't make the list would include Vision of Escaflowne and Le Portrait de Petite Cossette.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rpgothic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I named most of my pets after anime characters

My cats are name Luna and Mana
My dogs are called Sasuke, Luffy and Vivi
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Consider my mind officially boggled in regards to Escaflowne failing to place on the fav OST list.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The Angels from Evangelion are possibly one of the more notable strange alien species in anime/manga. There existence playing a vital role in the original series is maybe 1 reason why Eva is so popular.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Not named for and anime character exactly. But I do have a small black cat named Noir.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Dandy had to be on the list somewhere. There are so many choices in that series alone. But I agree Deathgarians are probably some of the weirdest.

I've never really had a pet to name after an anime character, unless you count Pokemon!

Not surprised to see Cowboy Bebop on top of the OST list, even though I don't like its OST at all. Madoka Magica, and Kill la Kill are well deserved though!
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
OSTs, eh? Pity I missed that one. Might've helped boost .hack//Sign a bit. Most OSTs by Kajiura are great Anime smile

And what about the Aria OSTs? They make really good BGM for a relaxing atmosphere.

As for this week's list, I was expecting the symbiotic helmets from Alien Nine. They don't just look weird, they are weird.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In a world of tribal cat girls and lizard people

The Silgrians always came across more like birds to me than lizards.
jroa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Guess I missed the OST vote too. It's a pity that Ghost in the Shell, Gurren Lagann, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Code Geass didn't rank that high, since I'd personally consider their soundtracks at least the equal of some of the other options. Still, it's not like the top choices are bad, though I do feel some Hiroyuki Sawano fatigue at this point in time.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Hard to List without spoiling it, I guess, but I liked the aliens in Gargantia.
Macron One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
While all of the soundtracks in the top 20 are at least very good, i can't help but be disappointed that the outstanding OSTs of Escaflowne, ARIA and Giant Robo didn't make the list. Also, i would have replaced the Fate/Zero and Angel Beats OSTs with those of Fate/Stay Night and Air (TV). Though inferior to the more recent adaptations in pretty much all other aspects, the first Fate/Stay Night anime series still has the superior OST, i think.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I missed the OST survey too - I love the Princess Tutu soundtracks, and I have a soft spot for the Brigadoon OSTs too.

My new dog's middle name is Toriko (first name Bartholomew, AKA Barry) because he's the world's only gourmand lab. Seriously, he dipped his rawhide bone in the cat food before eating it.

(I also had a dog named Sophitia for the Soul Caliber character.)
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess I have TECHNICALLY named a pet after an anime series, but the intention was to name her after a game character. Five my cats have "nerdy"/game inspired names.. Kokonoe (BlazBlue), and then Jinx, Jayce, Vi, and Caitlyn (League of Legends).
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how many of the people who voted for anime sound tracks actually collect them on CD's or were just recalling them from watching the anime.

Many of the Studio Ghibli movie soundtracks are good in their own right, and not just the Joe Hisaishi ones but also the OST for The Cat Returns.

From Escaflowne I only have OST 2 (600 yen from Lashinbang at Nakano Broadway).

Other Yoko Kanno OST's that might have made the list include Aquarion and Aquarion Evol.

For Yuki Kajiura, .hack//SIGN is one of my favourites, but the Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, El Cazador de La Bruja, and Noir are also great.

For Kenji Kawai, besides his Ghost in The Shell work there is also his work on the music for Patlabor series and movies.

Another set of soundtracks that helped create an impression of a different world were those of Simoun by Toshihiko Sahashi.

Another Anime soundtrack I picked up at Nakano Broadway was Boogiepop Phantom - very different but a good listen.

For weird alien species, how about Macross Frontier's "insectoid biomechanical alien mecha known as the "Vajra" (バジュラ)"?

Last edited by omiya on Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Everfire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I've named both my cats after anime characters. My male tabby is named Kyo (from Fruits Basket), and my female calico is named Tohru (also from Fruits Basket).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4