• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: Manga Sales Continued to Grow in the U.S. in 2014

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
This is amazing and also surprising to me. Never thought Viz's manga sale to grow. Congrats, Viz. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This is good. I think that the simulcasts and simulpub may have a factor because certain fans will decide to buy the volumes of the stories they enjoy so they can help the industry and have a phys. copy of the said title.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
So glad My Love Story!! seems to be doing well! Viz have said so here & Shojo Beat have said the same on their tumblr. It is such a great series and hopefully it will get a nice boost from the anime.
BlueBitterCoffee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Yay Im happy Blue exorcist is doing well! (Im still hoping for a reboot one day)
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me; I need to pre-order my copy of Link to the Past.

Good job, Viz!
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Nice Spell of Desire! I wonder about it sometimes not doing well because of certain tropes. I don't hear people mention it as much as Midnight Secretary at all.

That is wonderful direct market sales are having double digit growth. I know girls and women can encounter problems at comic shops but, it's also always been strange to me why that happens. And it's not going to intimidate me to step in one wherever I am. First comic shop I ever went to when I was younger was owned by a woman. She wasn't very good with getting manga but, she tried. She ended up closing down eventually. Where I am now there is a little boutique a couple towns over. It's owned by a couple. They started it when there was a development growth period a few years back. Unfortunately they don't stock Japanese comics. It's cool for more mature comics and offbeat indie stuff, but you won't find English translated volumes of anything. I don't exactly blame them though. There just isn't the visibility here. Last place I lived I tracked down a comic shop too. The poor guy who owned the place had old josei manga he couldn't get rid of. So I totally took several volumes off his hands.

Anyway, I'm glad the marketing for VIZ is paying off. VIZ was the manga company I saw mostly in comic shops back in the day. So I hope people find VIZ manga in such places for a long time.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that a lot of the series they mention have strong sexy-time content. Could this be a sign that the American shoujo audience is growing up and is looking for stuff that's more josei like?
lys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
20% growth for shoujo manga in comic book shops might sound more significant than it is just because it was a low number to begin with. But it is a great sign all the same :) (from what I recall, sales to comic shops are good because they don't return unsold books to the publisher as bookstores can). I fairly recently switched to buying through my local comic shop when the bookstore I could walk to closed. But Vault of Midnight (check it out if you're ever in Grand Rapids or Ann Arbor!) is awesome and has also introduced me to a wider range of comics/graphic novels beyond just manga. It's a bright and happy place, and welcoming to all sorts and all ages!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
love viz's new business model. just release all the manga as soon as you can. There is no such a thing as floor the market because different people buy different manga.

The old model of release very few vol and way behind japan is bad.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Posted here before - manga in the Top 750 GN sales

Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
Very ecstatic to hear that the sales of shōjo and josei manga are picking up. Smile I thought those genres would be doomed to remain forever underrated.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear about the success! I'm glad that sales in manga and anime continue to be doing very well Smile In a time when things like scanlations are everywhere, it's nice to know that there are still plenty of people that wish to purchase the products they enjoy.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Glad to hear about the success! I'm glad that sales in manga and anime continue to be doing very well Smile In a time when things like scanlations are everywhere, it's nice to know that there are still plenty of people that wish to purchase the products they enjoy.

Sometimes, scanlations may inspire people to buy more manga volumes.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Sometimes, scanlations may inspire people to buy more manga volumes.

Sometimes, but many people I know just do a quick read on one and that's good enough. There's many of those people as well.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the top 750 list for 2014, you can see it here.
It's great to be excited over relative growth. Just keep in mind to don't go overboard with high expectations of absolute figures.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2