• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Unveils Latest Anime Site

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
Let's hope this will be one of their better anime.
The recent ones were a bit disappointing.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
What do you mean by recent ones? Are you talking about the most recent Gonzo series?
Eos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
"In fair Verona, where we lay our scene"...which floats apparently. It looks a little silly in a melodramtic way (like Romeo's winged horse), but I like the art style. I'll give it a shot none the less. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
"In fair Verona, where we lay our scene"...which floats apparently. It looks a little silly in a melodramtic way (like Romeo's winged horse), but I like the art style. I'll give it a shot none the less. Smile

Yeah that winged horse is a little crazy, however the backgrounds are very nice....well what I have seen thus far at least. I am hoping that this turns out to be a decent Gonzo show......and I hope that it can be much like Count of monte cristo, still one of my favorite Gonzo works.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
Let's hope this will be one of their better anime.
The recent ones were a bit disappointing.

Hey, Red Garden and Pumpkin Scissors rocks! Very Happy

I'm hoping for an alternate ending version.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote
It looks kind of like Romeo and Juliet set in...Laputa. o.o;

Well, I've been enjoying Gankutsuou, and I like Shakespeare, so I'll probably either check out fansubs or (more likely) rent it out on Netflix if/when it's released in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling I know how this one is going to end Laughing .

Or maybe, Gonzo will suprise us.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The best Gonzo shows I've seen tend to be those where the story and premise have already been laid out for them by older works (a la Gankutsuou and Samurai 7) so I'm hoping the same will apply to this.

What's the timetable on this one, next spring?
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Great, another reiteration of my least favorite Shakespeare work-and love story-, but it could turn out fun if Gonzo is intending to make it a comedy with an alternate ending to the original play.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
First thing that came to mind? "How are they going to fit giant robots into this one?"

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote
As I understand it, Romeo x Juliet is supposed to reunite a good bit of Gankutsuou's production staff, which gives me high hopes for it once it comes out. Their take on The Count of Monte Cristo ultimately turned into one of my all-time favorite anime, and while I didn't like it nearly as much, their rendition of Seven Samurai was quite excellent in its own right. Given that trend of adapting classic tales, I think it could at least be safe to expect an above-average series here with Romeo x Juliet.

And with World Masterpiece Theater also returning next year with an adaptation of Les Misérables, I think this could be a good time for classic literature in anime. It'd be interesting if Gonzo continued to produce classic adaptations right alongside World Masterpiece Theater; one announces The Fall of the House of Usher while the other announces Three Musketeers, and then one announces Othello while the other tackles Robinson Crusoe, for example. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
that looks pretty.
don't think they'll change the ending but...with them living on a floating city who knows? Juliet may be able to summon GFs.

can't wait to see this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Please oh please let this have all the brilliance that Gankutsuou had... even though Romeo and Juliet is one of the most uninteresting Shakespearian plays (sheesh Gonzo... what about Hamlet, Macbeth, or Titus?)... but please make it awesome. Thanks. Amen. >P
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
As long as their budget is good enough for good animation (Gankutsuou quality) I think this will be very good. I don't think the ending will change, but it might be even more heartbreaking than the original (like the 90's American version was).

Now the question is: Will the ***subbers (and whoever picks up the license) use modern english or Shakespearean english?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
or Titus?)

I think even Gonzo, with its giant robot Seven Samurai, deep space Photoshop-textured Count of Monte Cristo, and now Pegasus-riding cloud city Romeo & Juliet, would be hard-pressed to top the visual fun-house that was the Julie Taymor Titus with Anthony Hopkins. Laughing

A Hamlet or Macbeth (or an adaptation of Kurosawa's adaptation of Macbeth Razz ), or even as I said, an Othello, however, would be very interesting prospects indeed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2