• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Season in Development

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Neato. Just don't let Kan Colle's director/writer anywhere near it, please.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
new season? aint the remake already concluded the story?
I guess it is possible for new season to be a spin-off, focus on other characters
Araki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

No. the original series had sequels this new season could easily have a new take.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
As a big Space Battleship Yamato fan, I am happy that more 2199 is apparently being made. I am cool if this new season uses elements from the old sequel series as a framework for the story, but, like with the SBY 2199 first season, I want the producers to add new story elements and characters.

My only big question for now if season two will also be shown only in theaters initially, or if it will air on TV from the get go. I suppose either thing is fine with me as long as the the Japanese BD's come with English subtitles.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
I guess it is possible for new season to be a spin-off, focus on other characters

The original series had 3 TV seasons. Yamato 2199 dealt with the general story from the first season.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:

No. the original series had sequels this new season could easily have a new take.

Barbobot wrote:

The original series had 3 TV seasons. Yamato 2199 dealt with the general story from the first season.

oh I see. I dont know anything about the original series so I assumed the remake compiled all into 26 episodes
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Awsome. Loved 2199. Space opera and hot alien women? Sign me up!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Not unexpected after regularly selling 30k+ per disc.
Ifrit30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Yes. I absolutely loved the recent anime series. We need more space stuff.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:

No. The 2199 series has been aggressively teasing us with adapting the Comet Empire arc. Some Gatlanteans appeared in the recent movie and one of the Comet Empire series villains made a brief cameo.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
As a big Space Battleship Yamato fan, I am happy that more 2199 is apparently being made. I am cool if this new season uses elements from the old sequel series as a framework for the story, but, like with the SBY 2199 first season, I want the producers to add new story elements and characters.

That's probably the path they'll take. 2199 went to a great deal of trouble to tell the same basic story but thread in elements from the greater Yamato universe while adding new plot elements and characters. To an extent they have to, since the state of the universe is already noticeably different at the end of 2199 to what was at the end of the original first series.

angelmcazares wrote:
My only big question for now if season two will also be shown only in theaters initially, or if it will air on TV from the get go. I suppose either thing is fine with me as long as the the Japanese BD's come with English subtitles.

The fully-translated interview with Executive Producer Shoji Nishizaki will be published at ourstarblazers.com this weekend. Word has it that there is a lot of information in that article about Voyager's plans.

From what people were mentioning on Twitter when the info first surfaced two weeks ago, it will have the same release format as 2199 did - short, limited cinema releases (two-week seasons in a handful of cinemas with a limited-edition Blu-Ray already available to buy and take home with you), with the mainstream home video release in the 6-8 weeks after.

If they're smart, they'll wait longer to start the TV broadcast this time. Back in 2013, they started the TV broadcast in April and with two chapters to go, cut the turnaround time on each of the last two chapters/movies from three months to two in order for the cinematic and home video releases to be out well before the TV broadcast finished. The end result was that the final movie was rushed and had significant work done and as a result the last Blu-Ray wasn't available at the cinema release and didn't ship until more than a month after the TV broadcast finished.

Last edited by ValkyrieZeroZeroOne on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Nice joke. Very Happy

As for the news, that is really awesome. The first OVA season and movie was a really exciting thing from the beginning to the end, and I really wanted the continue of story.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

I'd be more worried about Hideaki Anno getting his hands on any more of it. Hopefully he'll be too caught up in postproduction and home video director's cuts of the final Rebuild of Evangelion film to do more than storyboard the OP (which he did for 2199).
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Would be lovely if the first season would finish releasing here,but that seems unlikely Crying or Very sad
IKKIsama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
It was announced 2 weeks ago, I was wondering when ANN would relay it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2