• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Dororo, Offers Samurai Pizza Cats on SD Blu-ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Well it's about time someone used the Blu-Ray format's SD capabilities. Hopefully Japanese companies get the same idea and stop doing awful upscales.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
SD material on a Blu-ray seems like an insane use of the format. Who is it even FOR?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
SD material on a Blu-ray seems like an insane use of the format. Who is it even FOR?

Why not? There's no HD version of SPC even in Japan, so instead making use of the storage capacity on a BD makes sense. It's the first time I've seen it used though...
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Is it really that weird, though? BD is really just a disc with a massive storage capacity. It has enough space to store high quality HD video, which is what most people use it for, but you can put anything on it.

In this case, the Bluray format is being utilized solely for it's increased storage capacity. They can now fit the entire series on 1 disc which is probably much cheaper to produce than a multi-disc set, not to mention it saves on shelf-space.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
In this case, the Bluray format is being utilized solely for it's increased storage capacity. They can now fit the entire series on 1 disc which is probably much cheaper to produce than a multi-disc set, not to mention it saves on shelf-space.

I agree. Your avatar reminds me that if someone used this idea to release a long series like Urusei Yatsura, only a handful of BD's would be required.
Doraemon365

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Well it's about time someone used the Blu-Ray format's SD capabilities..

I agree.

SD bluray's can be authored to look better than their DVD counterparts due to the more efficient .264 format and an increase in the maximum allowed bitrate.

However, this will solely depend on the quality of the source and where it originated from. For example, if they were to use footage straight from existing DVDs then there won't be any difference in quality and only the file sizes.

Last edited by Doraemon365 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Discotek is offering the complete 52-episode Samurai Pizza Cats series on one standard-definition Blu-ray Disc with English subtitles.

Where did they say that?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Guessing Samurai Pizza Cats is Discotek's way of testing the waters with standard-def Blu-Ray releases. I anticipate a cheaper than average price for this since only one disc would be necessary for putting the series on. Judging from the number of episodes for the series, I'm guessing the series is gonna be printed onto a dual-layer disc. May be tempted to get this as I've been curious of Saban's Pizza Cats dub and having the whole series on a single disc via legal means would be nice with saving on shelf space.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

Discotek is offering the complete 52-episode Samurai Pizza Cats series on one standard-definition Blu-ray Disc with English subtitles.

Where did they say that?

They mention it on their facebook page.

I'm happy to see Discotek putting out SD blu-rays. While I won't be getting this release, I'd love to see it for more SD only content for less compression and fewer discs to save (physical) space. Especially for longer series. Comparing a digi-pack of 5-10 discs or one or two BDs; there's not contest.

I don't know if it would necessarily be cheaper though. The smaller packaging should save money when it comes to that part of production and shipping costs, but dvds are much cheaper to produce compared to BDs. Maybe/hopefully the costs have come down enough though to negate the difference?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

Where did they say that?

They mention it on their facebook page.

I'm happy to see Discotek putting out SD blu-rays. While I won't be getting this release, I'd love to see it for more SD only content for less compression and fewer discs to save (physical) space. Especially for longer series. Comparing a digi-pack of 5-10 discs or one or two BDs; there's not contest.

I don't know if it would necessarily be cheaper though. The smaller packaging should save money when it comes to that part of production and shipping costs, but dvds are much cheaper to produce compared to BDs. Maybe/hopefully the costs have come down enough though to negate the difference?

Discotek recently said it costs about five times more to produce a bluray, as opposed to a DVD. So it they cut it down from 5 or 6 discs, down to one, then it should cost about the same, it not a bit less. If you factor in the savings from packaging, shipping, etc, they should come out a bit ahead.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
That sd blu-ray totally threw me off. I had never thought of using it just for the extra space. Though 54 episodes on 1 disc still boggles my mind. And although I have no interest in the series, I hope they use that red blu ray case. Series in Japan always get these cool colored blu-rays but almost everything in the US is just the standard blue (or clear for Sony 3d).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Guessing Samurai Pizza Cats is Discotek's way of testing the waters with standard-def Blu-Ray releases. I anticipate a cheaper than average price for this since only one disc would be necessary for putting the series on. Judging from the number of episodes for the series, I'm guessing the series is gonna be printed onto a dual-layer disc. May be tempted to get this as I've been curious of Saban's Pizza Cats dub and having the whole series on a single disc via legal means would be nice with saving on shelf space.

The DVD set is 52 (cute, but repetitive) episodes on 8 disks, and made for television.
While they probably were animated on film, I'm guessing Blu-ray tweaking wouldn't make much difference (qv. Sailor Moon), so if they're going to be SD anyway, might as well keep the disk count down.
(And as for "Why would they do it?", where were all you people back when Blu-ray was invented, when we were up to our eyeballs in newbies amazed by the disk storage space, saying "They could put the entire Seinfeld series on one set!"? Yes, Seinfeld. It was always that, and we could never figure out why. Confused)

Now, if Discotek would only do the same for their subbed Kyatto Ninden Teyande collection, without the horrendous 90's improv-dub.
Yes, we know you're curious/nostalgic about the dub, but history isn't worth it.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Will the SD Blu-ray be 23.976fps or telecined 29.97fps?

They could at least detelecine it make sure it's a progressive SD video.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
Will the SD Blu-ray be 23.976fps or telecined 29.97fps?

They could at least detelecine it make sure it's a progressive SD video.

In the ANNCast where Zac interviews Justin about Blu-ray authoring, Justin mentioned that Blu-ray does not support progressive SD video.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
This is good news. I'm glad that Dororo will still get released in English, despite Anime Sol going under. And it's getting a physical release to boot! Nothin' wrong with that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3