• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's When Marnie Was There Film's English-Subtitled Teaser Posted

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
this film may in fact be ghibi's last and that saddens me a great deal. on the other hand, it may be for the best that the studio closes at its peak, rather than at a low point. that being said, i have not heard much at all on this film as far as critical reception is concerned. it seemingly got a quiet release with very little marketing and attention in comparison to their previous films. not being miyazaki-related is obviously a factor, but still... has anyone within the ann community seen this? what were your impressions? is this a strong finale to the legendary studio ghibli?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
I have. It's been ever since Princess Mononoke I've liked a Ghibli film this much. I even have the disc itself on order from cdjapan. And it's rarely I do that, last time was with Patema Inverted. So yes, you could say the film impressed me...

To describe it in few words, it's sort of a low-key coming-of-age story, about coming to terms with the past and facing the future on a brighter note. The mood is very melancholic, even for your typical Ghibli film.

Not too sure if it has had any theatrical premieres here in Europe yet, I assume you've been luckier over there in US?
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I have. It's been ever since Princess Mononoke I've liked a Ghibli film this much. I even have the disc itself on order from cdjapan. And it's rarely I do that, last time was with Patema Inverted. So yes, you could say the film impressed me...

To describe it in few words, it's sort of a low-key coming-of-age story, about coming to terms with the past and facing the future on a brighter note. The mood is very melancholic, even for your typical Ghibli film.

Not too sure if it has had any theatrical premieres here in Europe yet, I assume you've been luckier over there in US?

thanks for your thoughts! i consider princess mononoke to be my favourite ghibli film! your praise towards marnie has certainly peaked my interest even more. here in canada there have not been any theatrical runs as of yet to my knowledge. i was hoping we would get a premiere at last years toronto film festival along with princess kaguya, but it was absent. at any rate, i am greatly looking forward to seeing this and "the boy and the beast" later on this year Very Happy
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I saw the movie the other day too. I found it an incredibly beautiful, moving story with a highly relatable lead character. What Blanchimont said was pretty much spot-on. That said, I didn't find it quite as good as The Tale of Princess Kaguya, which is still easily my favorite non-Miyazaki Ghibli-movie (and heck, even better than most of Miyazaki's films in my opinion).
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This was a sublime movie, its one of my favorites ghibli movies. Its perfect.

I liked Arriety from the same director, awesome work he did in both.

The best ghilbli film in the last 10 years or more. I could not have liked more the World masterpiece theater series meets studio Ghibli.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
@Lord Starfish
@Madoka...AYUKAWA!

it's great to know that long time ghibli fans such as yourselves really enjoyed the film! i was a bit concerned it wouldn't live up to expectations but that surely doesn't look to be the case here. i believe the director, hiromasa yonebayashi, has since left ghibli and is at work on a new project.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to see Marnie twice in theaters here in Japan, and I already have the blu-ray, which came out a few weeks ago. It's a beautiful movie, and the end is especially moving. The emotions it conjures up definitely stay with you. I'd say overall Marnie is maybe in the upper-middle on the Ghibli ranking - but considering just how good even the lower-tier Ghibli films are, that's actually very high praise. Really sad that Yonebashi has apparently left Ghibli - hopefully he'll come back on board once they start producing films again, because this and Arrietty really cemented him as one of anime's rising stars.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm also pleased to hear such positive things from people who have seen the movie. I'm looking forward to it as I do for every Ghibli film, but watching it will definitely be a bittersweet experience. Even if they begin making films again in the future, this will still be the last we see from them in a while, regardless. I don't think Marnie will be able to top the grand emotional tour de force that was Princess Kaguya, but that's not an easy task to accomplish anyway. Either way I'm sure it'll be fantastic.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Really sad that Yonebashi has apparently left Ghibli - hopefully he'll come back on board once they start producing films again, because this and Arrietty really cemented him as one of anime's rising stars.

Yeah, hearing that he left made me really skeptical as to whether there even is a future for Ghibli at this point. I mean, Miyazaki Senior retired (or has he since un-retired again? Wouldn't really surprise me), Takahata is probably also done, Yonebashi isn't working for them anymore... so that leaves what, Miyazaki Junior? Because while his second movie was definitely a vast improvement over his first, I really don't know if he could sustain the studio...

Well, I do recall Yonebashi mentioned some vague ideas for what he wants to do with his next movie, so whether it is for Ghibli or some other studio, at least we can be fairly sure this isn't the last we've seen of him. And I for one am looking forward to whatever he does next, as both Arrietty and Marnie were really good in my opinion.
Takasugi77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
I saw the movie when it opened for the first time in NYC (as mentioned in the article). Came home, and immediately purchased Priscilla Ahn's "Fine on the Outside" credits song on iTunes. I plan on seeing it again when it's released to a wider audience with English Dubs in May, and check weekly to see when I can pre-order the video on Amazon (North American version).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1