• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
Just reread the first Japanese volume right before the television broadcast of the anime. It was interesting comparing the differences.

I really do love this manga.

And yes, there is a reason for the seven witches in the title. It just takes a little more time.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
And yes, there is a reason for the seven witches in the title. It just takes a little more time.

The fact that the girl is munching on an apple in the cover suggests some Snow White metaphor, but I, um....still can't see it? Confused
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Funnily enough, the title doesn't fit the manga as well as it used to.

spoiler[There are now fourteen witches, plus seven former witches.]
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh the tile makes perfect sense but there are about 20 witches in his harem now Confused.
Here is my amazon/MU review:

This didn´t use to be ecchi/harem crap but now it is (5/10)

The series had a fine first arc about the said witches and reached a clear ending point which is surprising as the authors previous work was lame. Then the manga went on because of money and committed suicide to become a ecchi harem shell of it´s former self. The new anime should go for that ending point and i could thus recommend that version. You know now when to stop or if you should even start.
I went on for a few more volumes after the original arc but only sleep inducing nudity, sexual harassment and an unmoving romance subplot showed up BUT no humor, narrative or purpose were to be found so i dropped it about a year ago and will only read the last chapter of which i expect nothing. Flying Witch (8/10) / Ran to Haiiro no Sekai (8,5/10) are good modern manga about witches and the classic Angel Densetsu (10/10) is a perfect high-school comedy. Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei (9/10) is the final word on harem and if want to read a male power fantasy then go for Re:Monster (7/10) which is at least honest about what it wants to be and it includes witches too.

Edit: I forgot to recommend harem genre series i just noticed so i updates all my versions slightly.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Oh the tile makes perfect sense but there are about 20 witches in his harem now Confused.
So here is my 5/10 MU review:

The series had a fine first arc about the said witches and reached a clear ending point which is surprising as the authors previous work was lame. Then the manga went on because of money and committed suicide to become a ecchi harem shell of it´s former self. The new anime should go for that ending point and i could thus recommend that version. You know now when to stop or you you should even start. I went on for a few more volumes after the original arc but only sleep inducing nudity, sexual harassment, an unmoving romance subplot showed up BUT no humor, narrative or purpose were to be found so i dropped it about a year ago and will only read the last chapter of which i expect nothing. Flying Witch / Ran to Haiiro no Sekai are good modern manga about witches and the classic Angel Densetsu is a perfect high-school comedy.

I see that you haven't read the manga. First of all, his harem is made out ofspoiler[ Shiraishi(Loved him since first arc), Nene(First arc love who is starting to love someone else slowly), Archery Girl(Barely shows up but first arc love), 1st Year Girl Witch(Since first arc) and that's all. All of these girls loved him since the first arc.]

The manga isn't even an harem ecchi . First of all, there isn't really that much ecchi and second of all, the harem vibes are simply undertones. There wasn't any sexual harassment and if there were, they weren't treated positively, the nudity was the same as the first arc and the couple are already together, what do you want them to do. There are a lot of chapters focused on them. If they are already together, I don't know what you want.

There is a lot of humor, not as much as first arc because body switching but there are still a lot of humor, the story took a SoL break before going through the second arc mind you. Really, you are exaggerating thing at the fullest, you didn't even read anything from part 2 because all you are saying is complete nonsense.

Another proof that you haven't read the manga is that you should know that spoiler[the third pair of witch are made out of boys who don't love the guy.]

{Edit: For starters please use appropriate spoiler tags to not ruin material for other users. Secondly, rude comments towards other users are not tolerated so you need to be more civil when responding to another user's post. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I remember being confused when the characters are surprised to discover there are 7 witches, forgetting that we only know that because it is in the title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Humor's subjective and spoiler[after the first arc things DO slow down for a long time until getting to the newest arc, which is also taking it's time, but like the poster above me, whatever "sexual harrasment" there is, it's not played for jokes and is taken seriously. Even then it's not like you see any nudity in those instances as it's stopped VERY quickly.Also comparing this to flying witch is kind of dumb since "witches" in this case isn't meant to be taken literally and Flying witch is more about the causal culture of said witches.(and IMHO, I liked it much better as a one shot where there was a fun character interaction rather than being told about things via talking sheets of paper dipped in cool aid.)]

At any rate I do enjoy the manga quite a bit, and am up to date with the manga, which made me unsure as to whether or not I wanted to see the anime. Hiro Mashima may be the better artist of the two but I'd read this and her previous work in a heartbeat before I touch anything Mashima crapped out again.

[/spoiler]
Mathias2001

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Mathias2001 wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
So here is my 5/10 MU review:

The series had a fine first arc about the said witches and reached a clear ending point which is surprising as the authors previous work was lame. Then the manga went on because of money and committed suicide to become a ecchi harem shell of it´s former self. The new anime should go for that ending point and i could thus recommend that version. You know now when to stop or you you should even start. I went on for a few more volumes after the original arc but only sleep inducing nudity, sexual harassment, an unmoving romance subplot showed up BUT no humor, narrative or purpose were to be found so i dropped it about a year ago and will only read the last chapter of which i expect nothing. Flying Witch / Ran to Haiiro no Sekai are good modern manga about witches and the classic Angel Densetsu is a perfect high-school comedy.

I see that you haven't read the manga. First of all, his harem is made out ofspoiler[ Shiraishi(Loved him since first arc), Nene(First arc love who is starting to love someone else slowly), Archery Girl(Barely shows up but first arc love), 1st Year Girl Witch(Since first arc) and that's all. All of these girls loved him since the first arc.]

The manga isn't even an harem ecchi . First of all, there isn't really that much ecchi and second of all, the harem vibes are simply undertones. There wasn't any sexual harassment and if there were, they weren't treated positively, the nudity was the same as the first arc and the couple are already together, what do you want them to do. There are a lot of chapters focused on them. If they are already together, I don't know what you want.

There is a lot of humor, not as much as first arc because body switching but there are still a lot of humor, the story took a SoL break before going through the second arc mind you. Really, you are exaggerating thing at the fullest, you didn't even read anything from part 2 because all you are saying is complete nonsense.

Another proof that you haven't read the manga is that you should know that spoiler[the third pair of witch are made out of boys who don't love the guy.]

{Edit: For starters please use appropriate spoiler tags to not ruin material for other users. Secondly, rude comments towards other users are not tolerated so you need to be more civil when responding to another user's post. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101}

I understand about the spoilers but about the rude comment, let me explain. The only thing I said was that 1 he exaggerated things and 2, everything he said was false thus he didn't really read the next chapters of the manga. I did not insult him/her in my comment. So therefore, my comment wasn't rude. I wasn't exactly respectful(Granted, he did falsely insult a manga very dear to me
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I guess the first volume doesn't get into the whole witches aspect...

Don't worry, there will be 7 witches, and then some, before long. Smile
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
I find the negative of "Title makes pretty much no sense." to be short sighted. Did they have to have all 7 witches dumped into the first volume in order for it to "make sense"? Laughing

I look forward to reading this volume myself...when it arrives in a few weeks. Very Happy
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
Well, no I guess it doesn't, but since I was just looking at the first volume, the title having nothing to do with the story so far could be seen as misleading. If I was reviewing multiple volumes and it came up in any one of them, I wouldn't have mentioned it as a negative. I may just be being nit-picky.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
I think that's a fair criticism. You want to know where the story's going after all, right? Anyhoo, having read quite far on Crunchyroll, this title really surprised me. I thought it was going to be a dumb ecchi harem comedy, and it sort of is, but not really. It's better than that: the characters are/become more developed, clichés are subverted, and as the review says it's much nicer in spirit. I suspect the anime will become one of the seasons better shows, although I do wonder how the pacing will be handled given the series' length + certain convenient stopping points.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:18 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Well, no I guess it doesn't, but since I was just looking at the first volume, the title having nothing to do with the story so far could be seen as misleading. If I was reviewing multiple volumes and it came up in any one of them, I wouldn't have mentioned it as a negative. I may just be being nit-picky.

If this was a series that was, say, 4-5 volumes in total...I could see how 1/5 of it not getting a move on, would lead to this sort of complaint in a review.

As that isn't the case, it does seem nit-picky.

I do wonder how things would've gone if they introduced 8 characters in the handful of chapters that make up this initial volume. Since this is practically the opening act, I'd be surprised if all the cards would just be laid on the table like that. And, it'd be something that would be hard to execute.

ajr wrote:
I think that's a fair criticism. You want to know where the story's going after all, right?

True, you do want to know where it is going. But, the review makes no indication that would make me believe the volume seems aimless. In one volume, 3 characters are introduced. Why would we need all 8?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1