• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Babylon (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote

Babylon (TV).

Genre: Thriller
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Zen Seizaki is a prosecutor with the Tokyo District Public Prosecutors' Office. While investigating illegal acts by a certain pharmaceutical company, Seizaki stumbles across a conspiracy over an election for an autonomous "new zone" established in western Tokyo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First three episodes are out on Amazon Prime today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
A background and buildup episode. Lots of stuff about suicide laws, election laws, this new area that is supposed to have a new kind of government for a Japanese city, etc. They lay it on pretty thick. Lots of screens of background text, sometimes that's all that is on the screen.

So the big suicide happened with 200+ others across Japan, 5 times normal. And the current bad guy,spoiler[ the mayor did not. I thought he did.] So the powers that be blame him and want him found and arrested, but they aren't sure the law gives them a crime to charge him with. Which leads into the info dump about the new city, and all the legal stuff. Seemed a big thick. It was dull enough, I paused the stream about 5 times to see what time in the ep it was. Confused

The MC meets with his boss and their boss, a Vice Minister of Justice, during all this. The VM wants something done, but says it will take 2 or 3 days to get them extra manpower. Our MC is annoyed, I think. Then the VM boss is musing about it all, and asks a funny thing- is suicide really a bad thing? Sets a creepy tone.

Things pick up a bit after that. The MC gets a new assistant, a young lady who happens to be the Vice Minister's niece, and the fourth person in the ad screen above. There is a nice closeup of her eyes when she is introduced. Which may mean nothing. But she proves competent, and even a bit picky about the MC meeting with his reporter friend.

For his team the MC specifically asks for someone from the sex crimes detail. That fellow gets told to go after Ai Magase. Just a minor plot point, in this episode.

The show may be running against a clock- there is an election for the new city's own parliment, and the on the run mayor wants it to be effectively a referendum on allowing suicide. The days until it, is put on the screen several times during the ep, I guess to emphasize the passage of time.. A couple of videos come up from the mayor and others about the election, focusing on the suicide issue.

The election laws for this area's own parliament are brought up, and they seem wide open to abuse. I thought they were ludicrous, - no minimum age, no residency, etc.- but the show takes it seriously.

A moody scene at the end: the MC walks into his darkened office, low key music playing, puts a flash drive into his laptop, and the assistant asks, "What's that?" He says it is "some bad data." A file opens subtitled "Ai Magase" and the episode ends. I wonder if bad means not quite legally obtained.

After the second and third eps, this was very different. Really packed and slow. Honestly a bit of work to watch. But I'm staying with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1