• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Re: Life in a different world from zero Light Novels Get TV Anime Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Welp, so it's confirmed after all. Didn't surprise me much since the anime domain was leaked last week. As far as this adaptation goes, I have mixed thoughts on it. I wonder how many volumes they will adapt...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
My All You Need Is Kill sort of would be anime subtitute.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
I hope Tom Cruise would do the english dub... Laughing

But this lost in a parallel/alternate world genre getting adaptions totally erupted after SAO/Log Horizon boom... I can't see them ending soon...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'm just "so" surprised.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:30 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
But this lost in a parallel/alternate world genre getting adaptions totally erupted after SAO/Log Horizon boom... I can't see them ending soon...

Well, not really. Certainly they made the whole stuck in a virtual world thing popular but the parallel/alternate world thing genre of which it is a subset world hasn't been used any more now than before.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
So, maybe my hopes of this not having a harem have now been dashed? Purely judging off that promo image.

Not like I'm going to purely judge the show on that, but it would've been nice if it didn't have one. Main reason, I feel like the majority of the series based in a fantasy setting...have harems.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:10 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:18 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

So it's already at the stage where they can show the animation? So I'm guessing an October airdate.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
So, maybe my hopes of this not having a harem have now been dashed? Purely judging off that promo image.

Not like I'm going to purely judge the show on that, but it would've been nice if it didn't have one. Main reason, I feel like the majority of the series based in a fantasy setting...have harems.

Not really there are plenty of fantasy shows that are not harem, its just that a lot these adapations are from this particular light novel subset. But we have had a handful of shoujo fantasy series in the last few years, a lot of shonen jump could be construed as fantasy but not harem like one piece and naruto, you have stuff like Arslan Senki, etc.

There are plenty of non harem fantasy works, but conversely there are plenty of fantasy harem because its popular.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
So, we have plenty of both. And, for one reason or another, I seem to come across a lot more that have harems, than those that don't.

Long running shows like One Piece and Naruto, are not the type that I'm talking about. During their runs, there are a huge number of new shows that get made. And, neither of those two series hold any of my interest (anymore).

And, shoujo fantasy? Honestly, I can't really think of many. Yona, well...that's not really a fantasy setting. And, it has a harem. The World is Still Beautiful? Again, not fully a fantasy setting, even though there's magic. Laughing

If I knew of others that could be seen as a series with a fantasy setting, minus a harem, it wouldn't feel like the majority of them have a harem.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

And, shoujo fantasy? Honestly, I can't really think of many. Yona, well...that's not really a fantasy setting. And, it has a harem. The World is Still Beautiful? Again, not fully a fantasy setting, even though there's magic. Laughing

I can try listing some examples, but since I honestly don't understand your definition of "fantasy" I'm not sure how useful it'll be - I mean, I can understand excluding settings that have magic as a secret force in a recognizable world (e.g. Fate/*, many magic girls shows, etc.) but a definition that holds a pre-industrial setting with a different history and also magic isn't fantasy is...hard for me to work with.

The examples of fantasy series that come to mind are: Twelve Kingdoms, Moribito, Record of Lodoss Wars, Garo, Guin Saga, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Slayers, Magic Knight Rayearth, Magi (at least, I don't think there's a harem in the part I've seen), and Berserk. Depending on your definition of fantasy you might also include Aura Battler Dunbine, Fullmetal Alchemist, Scrapped Princess, and Sands of Destruction.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Sorry! Yeah, I can see I wasn't too clear on what I see as fantasy. Easiest way, for me, is it's usually what some would call "Tolkien-esque", I do like it when other races are involved. That may seem broad, but I do think being kind of broad is best. Laughing

The reason I don't really see something like Yona and The World is Still Beautiful as fantasy is, while there's magic, it doesn't really play that big of a role in the overall story/world that the series is set in. And, it is the only fantasy aspect to the show, but on a very small scale.

I like to see the fantasy aspects of a show to be more prominent. So, that'd mean seeing more than a song to make it rain, and a super powered harem. I'm a fan of both the shows I named, though it may seem otherwise...

And, thanks for the suggestions! Some of them have been series I've looked into, at one time or another, and decided against watching them. Main reason has been, they're open ended (e.g. Guin Saga, Beserk, Slayers, 12 Kingdoms). I'm never going to watch an older series if it has no real conclusion. It's just the way I'm built, open endings can ruin a series I love in the span of 20 minutes...

Others are on my "to watch" list (e.g. Magic Knight Rayearth, even though I don't really consider that fantasy), so there's still awhile before I get to some, or even think on how I'd watch them.

Magi is one I've seen half of, and enjoyed it. Have yet to get around to watching more of it.

Now, out of the series listed, never heard of Aura Battler Dunbine. No idea if that's on disc, but I can't see it being easy to get (either OOP or pricey). I'd say the same of the older series you've mentioned.

From the newer stuff, I tried Garo and didn't like what I saw. But, I did end up skipping over Rage of Bahamut, so I may go back and check that one out.
ayami123

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

Oh, you'll see this is different from those harem fantasy Very Happy since the author is a well known sadist hehehe >Very Happy

Stark700 wrote:
Welp, so it's confirmed after all. Didn't surprise me much since the anime domain was leaked last week. As far as this adaptation goes, I have mixed thoughts on it. I wonder how many volumes they will adapt...

I think around Volume 1 or if they rush it then Volume 2, but I highly doubt they'll present volume 3 since, well volume 3 and onward is pretty much for very adult audience though the title will make sense in the third volume Very Happy
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
ayami123 wrote:
Oh, you'll see this is different from those harem fantasy Very Happy since the author is a well known sadist hehehe >Very Happy

Interesting...I wonder if that will come through in the anime. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1