• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Home Video Game Market Dips

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate that the domestic market in Japan is getting smaller each day. Sad Perhaps there's just isn't enough interesting games out these past three years, or are smartphones starting to overtake the gaming market, in Japan?
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
However, the overseas market scale has increased from 2.822 trillion yen (US$22.9 trillion) to 3.532 trillion yen (US$28.7 trillion) between 2014 and 2015.

I'm pretty sure they should read "US$22.9 billion" and "US$28.7 billion", respectively. On a side note: Japan holds a larger chunk of the international video game market than I had imagined.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

It's unfortunate that the domestic market in Japan is getting smaller each day. Sad Perhaps there's just isn't enough interesting games out these past three years, or are smartphones starting to overtake the gaming market, in Japan?

In Japan, mobile gaming already overtook console gaming a couple years ago:

2014: Japanese console market down as mobile gaming takes over

• Analyst Dr. Serkan Toto posted a copy of the Japanese Computer Entetainment Supplier’s Association’s release, showing console-related sales were down 16 per cent – a drop from $4.8bn in 2012 to $4bn in 2013.

It wasn’t all bad news. Mobile gaming is more than making up for the console decline, as it brought in $5.1bn last year combined with featurephone gaming purchases. The sector was worth just $370m in 2011.

Hyperdrve wrote:

On a side note: Japan holds a larger chunk of the international video game market than I had imagined.

I don't think these even include the PC game market (on which Japan is pretty much a non-participant).
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that the gaming market in Japan has succumbed to F2P money pits on mobile with shady and often illegal business practices. It's also sad that gamers over there are flocking to them like corporate sheep knowing well that these companies are only going to fleece them bigtime. Someone needs to tell them that mobile gaming right now is not the answer and more companies should push for paid full mobile games.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Cant say im surprised considering the shift to he who shall not be named a few years ago.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I think I can relate a bit because lately my interest in console gaming has waned. Now I'm more hooked to mobile games than consoles, even portable ones.
I don't understand many complaints about microtransactions, for me at least, it's not a problem at all.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
When they say the overseas market has increased, do they mean overseas gaming in general or from Japanese companies?

Hoppy800 wrote:
It's sad that the gaming market in Japan has succumbed to F2P money pits on mobile with shady and often illegal business practices. It's also sad that gamers over there are flocking to them like corporate sheep knowing well that these companies are only going to fleece them bigtime. Someone needs to tell them that mobile gaming right now is not the answer and more companies should push for paid full mobile games.

It can be. It just needs better government regulation, between public awareness and to reign in some of the less scrupulous ones. As it is right now, it's a lawless frontier full of snake oil salespeople.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

When they say the overseas market has increased, do they mean overseas gaming in general or from Japanese companies?

In general for both domestic and overseas.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:
I don't understand many complaints about microtransactions, for me at least, it's not a problem at all.

Here's an article explaining why microtransactions are bad for gaming.
SniperRuleZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
Just simply watch the TV commercials in Japan, you will see lots of mobile games CMs, few 3DS / vita CMs, barely any PS4 / Wii U CMs.

But then again, usually the Japan versions (usually original) of these mobile games have better stuffs compared to international servers, and hence less need to pay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1