• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Ever Happened To Manga Entertainment?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, I remember the days when SciFi was airing AniMonday and it was all Manga Entertainment..... Good times, good times.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Weren't they also the "winners" of the bidding war for The End of Evangelion? Any idea if they every made money on that?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and has little to no relevance to modern anime fans (except in the UK).

Not entirely true. Discotek still goes to them for old dubs to re-use for their DVDs. They got the Lupin: Liberty Crisis dub off them, for example.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Manga UK handle distribution for Animatsu Entertainment, and they still have a few long runners releasing like One Piece, Naruto and Bleach (on behalf of Kaze)
j Talbain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I had posted on their FB a couple of weeks back and they actually replied with we have things in the piplines you'll hear about soon. But TBH at this point they are all but a name from the past in North America.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Weren't they also the "winners" of the bidding war for The End of Evangelion? Any idea if they every made money on that?

They must have, because there was a period of time (in the UK, at least) where it was nigh on impossible to find a copy of EoE. I was lucky to pick mine up. :s

That said, it's sad to hear that Manga's been struggling recently. I wonder if that has anything to do with the no-show for the Eva 3.33 dub?
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Every retro question should be about spirit animals. Smile
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Manga Entertainment has had a surprising amount of influence on me as an anime fan. Their DVD releases of Ghost in the Shell, Royal Space Force, and Macross Plus did a lot to solidify my anime genre interests. The original Read of Die OVA release was probably one of the first DVD anime releases I went out of my way to find after hearing some rave reviews about it online. Even in their waning days they pulled me in one more time of the excellent Noien* (can't wait to upgrade to Funi's upcoming Blu-ray).

An interesting and stories history overall.

*oh yeah, and their Red Line blu-ray a few years ago. Another excellent release when you'd thought they were down and out.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The guy that handles Manga's US Twitter account must be really sad reading this article. Crying or Very sad
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
A question I remember quite well was when someone asked Zac what did he look like. Everyone ended up posting pictures of them and making friends through that
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember that in the UK in the 1990s we all referred to anime as "Manga", because it was ALL released by Manga Entertainment. Can anyone corroborate this? When did people start using the correct word?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Ah, yes, I remember the days when SciFi was airing AniMonday and it was all Manga Entertainment..... Good times, good times.

Yeah, those were the days. I taped quite a few of the shows they aired on SF Channel; still have them too.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Manga Entertainment has had a surprising amount of influence on me as an anime fan. Their DVD releases of Ghost in the Shell, Royal Space Force, and Macross Plus did a lot to solidify my anime genre interests. The original Read of Die OVA release was probably one of the first DVD anime releases I went out of my way to find after hearing some rave reviews about it online. Even in their waning days they pulled me in one more time of the excellent Noien* (can't wait to upgrade to Funi's upcoming Blu-ray).

An interesting and stories history overall.

*oh yeah, and their Red Line blu-ray a few years ago. Another excellent release when you'd thought they were down and out.

Yeah, those are all really good.

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot that's what happened to L.A. Hero/US Renditions, I still remember them a ton for continuing to get me into anime in the early days from the first Guyver series, Iczer-One, and a bunch of others like Ambassador Magma and Outlanders.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I love the Karas series. Its probably my favorite release my Manga Entertainment. Its too bad we never got thosr bluray releases in North America like the UK did Sad Noein is a great underrated show. Its actually really good. Manga Entertainment always had solid releases in my book Very Happy
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
I seem to remember that in the UK in the 1990s we all referred to anime as "Manga", because it was ALL released by Manga Entertainment. Can anyone corroborate this? When did people start using the correct word?

Never.

No, seriously. At least, in the 99% of the Western population -who still does not know what "anime" is.

The distributor of Manga Video in Spain (Manga Films) is still working under that name... but without any real connection to manga or anime anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4