• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interest articles: Anime figures

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed that in the last few months there have been a lot of Interest articles showing upcoming figures both articulated and static. I don't know it these were intended to be a replacement for the now defunct Astro Toy column, regardless of the intent they are doing a fine job in that regard.

Astro Toy was fun but for obvious reasons could not get too deeply into the pricier static figures that a lot of us collect. Also since they don't move and have only a few replaceable parts there was little to say about them except to note the quality.

The nice thing about the new Interest articles is they provide high quality professional photos and are often in time to order the figures before they disappear from the market. I think that the figures are also of more general interest than those covered in the late column.

I realize that this sub forum is mostly used for complaints, but I think when something is done right we should say so. In this case something has been done very well, please keep it up.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
I also like the figure stuff, but I do miss reviews of figures. Seeing how they're supposed to look is all well and good, but so many times they don't actually come out right, or can't be posed the way the images look (which often use glue so that they'll stay in place for the photos), or whatever. It's nice seeing both sides.

Would ANN ever be willing to allow people to submit reviews of figures, to be published in a guest column if they meet quality requirements? I don't buy too many, but I do have the SHF Sailor V and Sailor Pluto on order, and I've got the Venus and Saturn ones already, that I'd be willing to photograph and write about how well they are (especially comparing V and Venus). I have quite a few friends who buy a lot of the Vocaloid Nendoroids, and another who tries to get all of the Play Arts Kingdom Hearts ones. They might be interested in submitting stuff, too.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I have noticed that in the last few months there have been a lot of Interest articles showing upcoming figures both articulated and static. I don't know it these were intended to be a replacement for the now defunct Astro Toy column, regardless of the intent they are doing a fine job in that regard.

As a collector of PVC figures I have to agree. It is nice indeed. I find it hard to stay up on new releases and such and these interest pieces help with that. Even if it's not a figure I want often the listing has photos and links for other suggested figures which might pique someone's interest.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

@Dessa, that's an interesting idea. What if we expanded "myAnime" to include figures ?
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
@Dessa, that's an interesting idea. What if we expanded "myAnime" to include figures ?

I'm not sure if expanding My Anime to figures is necessarily necessary, since there is a site for figure collecting (that I, uh, have never updated my list to... I never update My Anime, either ^^;). But I do like seeing the "so, this is what the figure ACTUALLY looks like and can do, once you get it out of its box". (Ironically, I have a figure that you cannot physically put together two of the weapon pieces like you're supposed to, because they were manufactured wrong!)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

Could be very useful depending on how it's done. Were you thinking of making so users could upload photos, or do some sort of listing type idea?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
"MyAnime" including figures is a great idea.

I'm also wondering if the comments for the Omakase and Tokyo Otaku Mode articles/ads could all be directed into one thread, the way the preview guide is or the episode reviews are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I'm also wondering if the comments for the Omakase and Tokyo Otaku Mode articles/ads could all be directed into one thread, the way the preview guide is or the episode reviews are.

You mean for the advertorials ?

That's an interesting idea. I'll check with them to see if they are down for it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I meant the advertorials.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Having a space for figures in "My Anime" sounds interesting. However, I wonder how it would work. The My Manga and My Anime sections seem to be completely linked to the Encyclopedia which does not currently catalog figures.

Also in order for a critique of a figure to provide real information there would need to be a provision for photos. The basic photo could be a "stock" photo. However an attempt to show a bad joint or paint job would need to show the users photos.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps beyond the stock photos the "listing" could have a space for a link to another site? Such as myfigurecollection.net for example. Maybe the figure section in our MyANN area could allow us to upload a certain number of photos ourselves. The idea obviously needs some fine tuning but I think overall it would be a nice addition. I'm seeing more and more member are collectors. At least if the interest pieces and recent shelf life photos with most having figures of some sort are any indication.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The thought of all the data entry is horrifying. Stock photos would help but there would still be a lot of photos necessary. I started collecting figures within a few months of when I started watching anime. I've got several hundred on display and probably more that are still in box. Not because I'm a box collector but simply for lack of display space.

I will admit that prices over the last couple of years have slowed down my figure collecting.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:06 am Reply with quote
The most impressive collection you will ever see is from a friend of mine and user here. Emerje. He doesn't post much anymore. Sometime you should ask him for photos of his Transformer's collection. You will bow before his might lol.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Having a space for figures in "My Anime" sounds interesting. However, I wonder how it would work. The My Manga and My Anime sections seem to be completely linked to the Encyclopedia which does not currently catalog figures.

I can't remember why, but I found myself wondering recently if (official) figures could fit in alongside CDs and artbooks etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Bringing this thread back up, because I just got in my Sailor V Figuarts that I'd mentioned earlier, and wrote a quick-and-dirty review here on my Tumblr with the differences between V and Venus, like I said I could do, as an example (obviously, if ANN wanted to use freelance articles such as this, and took mine, I'd get better pictures and do a better write-up, but I didn't want to go find better lights than my overhead one).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1