• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Design Your Own Brave - Entries

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masajus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not expert and my skills at drawing is average, but then I saw contest entries, in my mind crossed just one phrase
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Cheagle Woods wrote:
Wait. So will one of these characters be featured at some point in the story!? Surprised

I don't think so, as this is a animenewsnetwork held contest.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing some people didn't know guys can't be saints?
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing two people didn't know using another person's art without permission isn't good manners (one didn't even credit it properly, they credited an RP thread on a forum site!)
Hanyuu Chiaki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I think we should wait and see......... besides this is only 20 of them not all :/
Koda89

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:57 pm Reply with quote
(Full disclosure, I have entered this myself, so my entry should appear within the next few days (when it does please go easy on me Embarassed ), but until now I haven't seen other entries in this contest, so this is my reaction to my first exposure to them)

It kind of bums me out that they said to be "creative" and yet so many of the entries are similar to other entries, there's like two of them that are a Saint of Wind(though to be fair one of them was a Saint of Gust, but same damn thing!), several have them being listed as being able to do magic but said magic is described in a vague way, and then the ones without powers just have the standard stock of weapon types. Of these 20 I think the Saint of Petal one is my favorite, because it is the one that stands out the most from the rest of this particular lot. Cool
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
I am confused. The rules for the contest specifically said the art had to be original and not lifted from someone else, nor previously used or published in any other website and that didn't violate any other person's trademark/copyright, so why are there two submissions in which the art is not only not created by the contestant, but also lifted from other websites/artists? Unless I'm misunderstanding something, shouldn't those two entries be automatically disqualified?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
So, when is the Splatoon Inkling design-an-outfit contest? (I kid.)

A lot of these read like Sonic the Hedgehog fan characters. It says something that Sophia Kundra's history and abilities are the most interesting ones to me because they're kept simple. Still, I swear, half of these entries, and most of the male ones, are apathetic, sociopathic, and/or troublemaking loners.

Regarding Raynebow: Isn't is exceedingly difficult to use a bow whose arms are sharp blades? (I am certain "arms" is not the correct word for it, but the word isn't drifting to my head right now. I should know this; I personally know an archery coach.)
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm finding all the post ripping into the submissions absolutely hilarious.
That being said, I do find it slightly insulting to have submissions along side mine that aren't legitimate (I'm talking about the two slimeballs that have taken someone else's work). Even if they are just showcasing all of the submissions, it sucks ANN (understandably) didn't filter them out.
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah above all else the entries that broke the rules on using other people's art are the most horrid of the bunch. You don't need to be a master artist, I know I'm not. That didn't stop me from drawing my entry. Neutral

Poor form, mates.
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:04 am Reply with quote
"Castor Kosmos" looks seriously cool - I love that smile. He reminds me a lot of Staz from Blood Lad. Not too sure why a guy is a Saint though.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
Cheagle Woods wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:

That's ironic because in history only men were considered saints although Saint Joan of arch was the only acceptation. Very Happy

Mmk, tell that to saint Lucia or saint Dorothy or any of the many other women saints.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
Cheagle Woods wrote:
zunderdog24 wrote:

That's ironic because in history only men were considered saints although Saint Joan of arch was the only acceptation. Very Happy

What do you mean? There are a crapload of women saints that go as far back as the Roman times
TsundereSun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Personally, the only one who stood out for me was the Saint of Petals. Smile
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity as someone who doesn't know much about artists and such which drawings are based off someone else s work and what do the originals look like?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2