• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Spring 2016 Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Well that's something. It's interesting to see different communities different tastes. I can't say Ushio and Tora is something that's getting much discussion, even here though.
I haven't finished Kiznaiver yet, but I really liked it a lot more than many people here apparently. It really hit a cord with me, I guess.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
U&T came first? Did something happen to make up for the complete mess that was the second half of the first season?
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Flying Witch managed to get into the top 5 for both rankings and Assassination Classroom managed to finishing well even though it fell a bit
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
A bit surprised that Ushio and Tora ended at the top of the cumulative ranking, but to me it deserves it. The rest of the cumulative top 10 make a lot of sense to me. As far as the bottom shows in the cumulative, I did not watch Ace Attorney and Big (dis)Order, but I watched Mayoiga, and it deserves its final placing.

I keep thinking that Spring 2016 was a lackluster season overall, but it is all good when at least 4-5 shows manage to be memorable and well regarded by the fans: Flying Witch, Jojo's, My Hero Academia, Re:Zero and Ushio and Tora.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
The second half of the first season and season 2 of Ushio and Tora as a whole cut so much stuff and characters that as a mangareader it was really awful and hard to ignore the flaws. I knew I should have waited for the anime to end before I touched the source material.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I will fully admit there were misguided, original to the anime, choices in the Kumamiko finale, but one bad finale doesn't negate that I really enjoyed 9 or 10 episodes out of 12, and that's with 2 bonus OVA episodes yet to come (which, hopefully, will undo the psychological damage done to Machi in the finale, but, if not, there's always the faint hope of a season 2 where they'd have to snap Machi out of it if they want to continue to adapt the manga).

Maybe I'm just a "journey is more important than the destination" kind of slice-of-life comedy anime fan.

The other two spring anime I stuck with were Tanaka-kun is Always Listless and Flying Witch, so I'm pleased to see them rank in the top 5.

angelmcazares wrote:

I keep thinking that Spring 2016 was a lackluster season overall, but it is all good when at least 4-5 shows manage to be memorable and well regarded by the fans: Flying Witch, Jojo's, My Hero Academia, Re:Zero and Ushio and Tora.

Last season seemed to be a pretty strong season for me to the point where I'm more interested in catching up on a few other spring 2016 anime I haven't yet seen than I am in watching more than 1 or 2 of the summer shows (there's really not much besides Sweetness & Lightning and maybe Cheer Boys that has captured my fancy from the descriptions I've read so far).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
U&T came first? Did something happen to make up for the complete mess that was the second half of the first season?

Yes, the second season happened, and it was amazing
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Tanaka-kun at #3 (Weekly) & #5 (Cumulative) is a very good place. Nice to see that, at times, the right shows are getting the due they deserve.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
why is there 2 rankings for Re: Zero episode 13? Also, imagine the ranking rising substantially for episode 14 as its a very strong episode and ranking close to episode 7 which is the a strongest episode for the show so far.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Re: Zero will definitely pick up again in the rankings. Wouldn't be surprised if it's at the top in the first ranking of the new season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I still can't believe Big Order got voted in before Sansha Sanyou. I'm also surprised that Haifuri climbed to its highest ratings with its concluding two episodes. I much preferred the first half of the show to the latter half myself and the ending wasn't anything particularly good in my opinion.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Really? I though the final episode of HS Fleet was actually its best.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, Re: Zero will definitely pick up again in the rankings. Wouldn't be surprised if it's at the top in the first ranking of the new season.

No doubt Re Zero'd get No.1 in the cumulative next season, but certainly not next week, because the latest episodes of this and its competitor, JJBA showed similar community scores at 4.6. Though judging by how they may become later, it's bound to happen within another 3 weeks.
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Flying Witch was so high just because I didn't see a lot of discussion about it, but I guess the people who watched it really enjoyed it. Every other ranking is fairly predictable. I do wish Kabaneri was higher, though.

I've been meaning to check out Ushio and Tora. This plus all the good stuff I've heard makes me even more excited for it.
crx07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
Congrats Ushio and Tora. I guess I have to watch that from season 1. Also I'm happy for that listless fellow. I may continue watching Ace Attorney for nostalgia purposes.
Just how disastrous is Big (dis)Order? I didn't watch it because of bad feedback. Is it worthy to watch The Lost Village?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2