• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Launching Anime Streaming Service in February

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
So will it have geo blocks like crunchy roll does on some shows or will it be like netflix?
Buzz201

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
So will it have geo blocks like crunchy roll does on some shows or will it be like netflix?

Netflix also has geoblocks on shows, they're just much better at not letting you see shows you can't watch.

FUNimation don't have UK rights for all of their titles, but whether they'll display the titles they don't have rights for in the UK, who knows?
megagold5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Assuming we get the broadcast dubs, then I am in.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Buzz201 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Netflix also has geoblocks on shows, they're just much better at not letting you see shows you can't watch.

FUNimation don't have UK rights for all of their titles, but whether they'll display the titles they don't have rights for in the UK, who knows?

No Netflix has a separate library for each region it's not a geo block like you get with some youtube videos and with other VOD services.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:37 am Reply with quote
I guess this is one reason why Viewster's simulcast offerings dropped to almost nothing.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
No Netflix has a separate library for each region it's not a geo block like you get with some youtube videos and with other VOD services.

Pretty sure that's not the case, unless the regions have different licensors; for example Seven Deadly Sins is served from the exact same page here, in the US and in Japan and that page appears differently depending on what region you are accessing the site from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:

Pretty sure that's not the case, unless the regions have different licensors; for example Seven Deadly Sins is served from the exact same page here, in the US and in Japan and that page appears differently depending on what region you are accessing the site from.

Content isn't served from pages but from servers which look at your IP's region then shows the content for that region on the page. The page can look the same but what's on it is different but with services like youtube/bogroll they don't bother hiding content which is not available for your region.
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
good news, i'll probably give this a try down the line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1