• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Patience Rewarded

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Just from the spoilers I read on BvS it sounds like a train wreck from top to botto. Zack already didn't understand Superman,and now it's clear he doesn't understand Batman at all. It's not a surprise since this is from the man who directed Sucker Punch, which was apparently a deep piece on female empowerment Rolling Eyes

I don't think anyone expected the train wreck that Dimension W has become. It started with a interesting premise and it just devolved into a bunch of tell,don't show storytelling. It has no emotion or energy to it; it's really one of the most phoned in productions I've seen in a while.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
What are these animations for adult audiences that the questioner is implying the Japanese make so many of? Are they referring to the teenage melodramas or the 15 year old girls for 30 year old men shows?
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Jacob has confirmed my suspicions about Erased based on watching the first three episodes. That combined with the melodramatic turns (which bothered me way more than they seem to have bothered him) makes me feel comfortable about not watching further. Sad, I thought that show was going to be something a lot better.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
It was a real treat to listen to this live yesterday. This is the fortnight in which PST and GMT are at their closest, so I have never enjoyed the privilege before.

Zac's impassioned plea to the staff producing the FLCL sequel probably encapsulates our collective hopes and fears about the project. More germane to my interests, however, was the revelation that he is now a Gundam fan of sorts. Greatly will it boost the potential for more of those small but illuminating disagreements among critics that make life so zestful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't thrilled with what I saw leading up to BvS, and the reviews implied that issues I had with Man of Steel were worse in the new movie. So, I looked up some spoiler information, and yeah, I'm skipping it entirely.

Jacob's assessment of Dimension W fits with what I was noticing about it. I'm watching it on Toonami, so I'm only a few episodes in, but the lack of character development is already noticeable, and easily my biggest issue with the show. I'm hoping that future co-productions fare better, but right now, I'd say the best Western co-production I've seen is still IGPX, and that had quite a bit of involvement from Cartoon Network.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess it is alright for Amazon to own a few anime here and there but yeah, I also agree that it could bad if they come in and start taking rights for shows left, right and centre and although I haven't read any of the Attack on Titan manga and don't so don't know much about the difficulty of animating certain scenes I'm pretty sure people would still stick around and watch it after who knows how long even if they complain like crazy about the delay. I can't even imagine what the view on the anime industry in 10 years, though I'm pretty sure the most of the stigma will be gone as its increasingly becoming recognized worldwide.

Of course most if all I can't wait for the preview guides to come up and I think the thing I enjoy the most is the discussions and differing views/reactions of opening episodes of a season
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I could deal with Dimension W's lack of character development if it wasn't for the insane amount of technobabble going on. I am sure it is supposed to be deep and meaningful but I'm constantly like "WTF? Is even going on?"

The ending to Erased it a tough one for me. I really like thrillers so I enjoyed it. But the ending is kind of simultaneously good and not good. It feels really rushed but still a better ending that lot of anime. And it feels almost like the conclusion I wanted but not quite. It is weird. It did take the show down a little for me but still over all I really liked the show. And still way better than the last two Noitamina shows before it.

The other real high note is Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. I have high hopes, it has really been great. As someone who also really likes period dramas I've been really digging it. Really great character drama. Fingers crossed it can keep it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Boston had a lot of thoughts on Lupin III! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
On the topic of Western animation for adult audiences (outside of the many sitcoms and satires we already have): on the surface, the one place you might expect this to break out would be action, which is a mainstay of pop entertainment and justifies being animated in the first place.

But Americans at least have never really gone for animated action in a big way. In the late 90s and early 2000s, there was a brief run of animated box-office bombs that tried to move away from Disney-style musicals and be "the next Star Wars" instead. Obviously, Titan A.E., Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within failed to live up to such expectations (in fact, nearly all of them killed their parent studios… Square had to merge with Enix after its losses on FFTSW, Titan shut down Fox Animation and Don Bluth, and Disney's double-bomb hastened their retreat from traditional animation). Feature animation learned its lesson and retreated into the kid-friendly "believe in yourself!" + Dreamworks smirk CG stuff that dominates today.

On TV, American action animation seems to be on the wane as well, even for kids. The Legend of Korra and Young Justice had shorter runs than their predecessors, and there's very little new action being made even for the youth audience now (Star Wars Rebels, I guess?). I know Jason DeMarco has stressed that Toonami is an action block, not an anime block, but they've found it very hard to fill with anything other than anime.

So I don't know what the prospects for Western animation for adults are, short of, say, a comedy like Bob's Burgers getting Cerebus syndrome and going all serious on us. Then again, does it matter? In an era of so much choice and access to media, maybe the audience that would go for non-comedy animation -- not just action, but drama too -- is perfectly capable of finding a Rakugo, a Clannad, a Psycho-Pass, or a Death Parade all by itself?
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
The only things as far as what's coming out in spring I'm looking forward to being Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song I liked the first season and I want to see how it wraps up.

Same goes for Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season while Bakuon!! just seems like something right up my ally. Spring may hopefully have a few hidden gems or something I didn't notice so who knows.

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? looks like something I'd watch and Hundred is a "battleing school" school series and I'm weak for that sort of thing

Winter was a mixed bag some shows I really liked Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu constantly floored me at how consistently good it is while Phantom World was a mixed bag that had some good stories and consistent animation quality but was overall weak.

(mind you I'm basing this on how far I am in the series due to being a free member on Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Hulu so I'm a little behind the curve.)

Grimgar was more enjoyable in the tactical aspects and seeing the slow acceptance of the group's lot in life. While I specifically watched Konosuba because of the furor over the first episode and found it consistently enjoyable.

Really Summer looks like it's going to be when I really get the things I'm looking forward to like Love Live ! Sunshine!! and the new Berserk series. While I have no real opinion on Batman V.S. Superman as I don't really like American Comic books or American Comic Book Movies. Probably not see it though
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Animation for adults anyone familiar with Fantastic Planet. I know that was French but the USA thinks keeping it's subjects aka citizens ignorant-stupid is it's duty to the empire. They use we have to protect the kids as a excuse to grind out drivel to the masses and as for the kids the first chance they got the dumped Saturday morning animation. So much for caring about children entertainment. Mad
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
...Man, are foreign co-pros EVER good?
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Oban Star Racers, Ghost in the Shell, season 2 of The Big O, Rankin-Bass and Topcraft's co-pros...

So I'd say yes.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quote:

Oban Star Racers, Kino's Journey, Ghost in the Shell, season 2 of The Big O, Rankin-Bass and Topcraft's co-pros...

So I'd say yes.

What definition are you using for co-productions? As far as I'm aware Big O II I was just funded by Cartoon Network and they didn't have a hand in writing it unlike something like IGPX. This is the first time I've heard about Kino's Journey and Ghost in the Shell being co-productions.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Attack on Titan season 2, that's exactly the kind of thing where Amazon coming in and getting exclusive streaming rights would really screw things up for everyone. And they've got the money to do it, no question about it.

AoT was also weird in that its first season was simulcast on both Crunchyroll and Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1