• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, March 7-13

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Good numbers for The Division. Yup! Zelda #2. Darn it, SN6.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, its ironic that Japan supposedly hates Western games yet they sell, its a double standard?

I expected even less numbers for Zelda due to being more pop in the west.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly awesome that The Division is enjoying some hefty sales at the No. 1 slot! Smile

Sadly, it seems that Medabots: Girls Mission isn't faring so well despite being third.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
FalconPunch wrote:
Wow, its ironic that Japan supposedly hates Western games yet they sell, its a double standard

All games sell, but what's important are the numbers. Under 100k for a huge AAA game isnt that amazing comparatively. Western games are very niche in Japan.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Under 100k for a huge AAA game isnt that amazing comparatively.

It's still better numbers than what vast majority of Japanese own games sell in a first week. I say 80k is pretty good for online only TPS, considering that genre is not heavily presented on market in question.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
FalconPunch wrote:
Wow, its ironic that Japan supposedly hates Western games yet they sell, its a double standard

All games sell, but what's important are the numbers. Under 100k for a huge AAA game isnt that amazing comparatively. Western games are very niche in Japan.

Far less niche than anime in the West. GTA V has sold way beyond 1 million in Japan. Name me one anime that has come close in the USA.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Far less niche than anime in the West. GTA V has sold way beyond 1 million in Japan.

Perhaps you have a source for this?
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Far less niche than anime in the West. GTA V has sold way beyond 1 million in Japan.

Perhaps you have a source for this?

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Grand+Theft+Auto+V
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Tom Clancy's The Division could've sold even better, and it's a new IP that's RPG first before TPS (Third-Person Shooter) second. And there won't be no microtransactions.

Ubisoft sold more copies of the game's first 24 hours of release "than any previous title in the company's history" (that means it performed better on launch day than Ubisoft's previous record-holder, 2014's Watch Dogs, which ended up with more than 4 million copies sold during its first week of availability) and $330 million for the first 5 days of sales.

Also almost unheard of, other than a couple of problems, the online servers have been holding steady. Ya couldn't ask for a better launch. Plus it's quite so good representation of Manhattan, the individual stores look like the real thing and where they should be, even the construction scaffoldings. (We even joke that terrorists could use it to scope out how to attack NY. Laughing )
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Far less niche than anime in the West. GTA V has sold way beyond 1 million in Japan. Name me one anime that has come close in the USA.

VGchartz is not accurate, but GTA5 did sell well in Japan, but its really the excrption to the rule. Even Call of Duty sales have slumped in Japan and are selling noticibly less, but still better than 80K first week. The point I was making is even AAA western games have a better track record, but its mostly limited to FPS. Stuff like Dragon Age Inquisition sold quite poorly. Maybe it's because Japan doesn't really make FPS so fans of the genre look towards America to get their fix but there they have plenty of RPGs already. Though Splatoon seems to be the most popular shooter there these days.

In terms of anime games I think any Pokemon or Nintendo game in general has higher sales numbers. Japanese games do better in the west than western games do in Japan on average
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually not that surprised that The Division is selling pretty well. Japanese gamers love MMOs and contrary to popular belief, they like shooters as well, so an MMO shooter would have a lot of appeal.

Guile wrote:
Maybe it's because Japan doesn't really make FPS so fans of the genre look towards America to get their fix but there they have plenty of RPGs already. Though Splatoon seems to be the most popular shooter there these days.

In terms of anime games I think any Pokemon or Nintendo game in general has higher sales numbers. Japanese games do better in the west than western games do in Japan on average

That's a good point. Japan doesn't really make shooters, and I'd argue most of the shooters they make aren't at the level of Western shooters yet. As far as the market for Western games in Japan, I'm assuming it's similar to the market for niche Japanese games in the West like stuff from NIS America or XSEED.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:39 am Reply with quote
Guile, you are partially right. JP games sell better in the West than vice-versa, but Pokémon is not an anime based game. It's a video game franchise. Pokemon may be mainstream in America, but the anime had virtually no part in its success.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Guile, you are partially right. JP games sell better in the West than vice-versa, but Pokémon is not an anime based game. It's a video game franchise. Pokemon may be mainstream in America, but the anime had virtually no part in its success.

That's a really funny joke. Nintendo wouldn't continue producing a weekly 22-minute commercial after nearly 20 years if they felt it wasn't getting anyone to buy their wares.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1