• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SAG-AFTRA Video Game Voice Actors Vote to Authorize Strike

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isinfier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Eh, good for them?

I mean, sure, it's alright; royalties and whatnot, and there are cases where x individual has been underpaid for his/her role in relation to the success of the title, but I'm struggling to see why it's such a huge issue.

You know what is a huge issue in the industry? Underpaid, overworked developers, who lack basic job security and can't even get together and unionise for fear of having their career sabotaged. It's awful.

Sorry VAs, but as far as I can see you really weren't that high up the list of "people in video-gaming that deserve better treatment."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Isinfier wrote:

You know what is a huge issue in the industry? Underpaid, overworked developers, who lack basic job security and can't even get together and unionise for fear of having their career sabotaged. It's awful.

Sorry VAs, but as far as I can see you really weren't that high up the list of "people in video-gaming that deserve better treatment."

So, in other words, "People are not allowed to care about multiple injustices, and should care only about what I feel is important?"
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I understand that videogame VAs want to be treated the same as actors in other forms of media (and therefore get paid the way actors are paid in different media forms), but the fact is that voice acting in videogames doesn't influence a purchasing decision the way acting in movies, TV, or anime does. I've yet to meet a single person who's purchased a game based entirely on what VAs are attached to the project. Why? Because acting plays such a miniscule role in videogames.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Should a strike happen, is there anything stopping these companies from hiring non-union talent or Canadian studios?
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I hear that voice acting in video games is harder than voice acting in anime. I know it's true because a voice actor was the one who told me this.
Deus257

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
There's also the fact that studios are known to drop a va from a project should they get a Hollywood level celebrity for the role. it happens.
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Should a strike happen, is there anything stopping these companies from hiring non-union talent or Canadian studios?

Probably not. First heard about all of this from one of my vocal coaches so this doesn't come as a shock to me. She's told me that some executives think that talent can be replaced pretty easily and believe that anyone can do any role regardless of who played a character in the past.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Unions give me a headache. I understand their goal is the work towards the benefit of it's members but they often go to great extremes asking for stupid unreasonable stuff along the way. Bonuses for talking in a video game? lol? Did their voice magically increase game sales? Bonuses are there for those who went above and beyond. Why should you give someone extra money for doing the job you PAID them to do. Vocally intensive sessions? I had a hard day at work GIB ME MOAR MONEY. Bleh.

Last edited by VanGosroth on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deus257

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Primus wrote:

Probably not. First heard about all of this from one of my vocal coaches so this doesn't come as a shock to me. She's told me that some executives think that talent can be replaced pretty easily and believe that anyone can do any role regardless of who played a character in the past.

If that's the case then the VA Industry in texas will see a big boom and the One in Canada wil probably see a revival since it kinda stagnated after Geneon and Bandai usa went belly up
Mewzard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Thanks to a crappy old Supreme Court ruling, not technically, but Unions do not take kindly to Scabs.

I suppose if they found out you were hiring scabs during a strike, the union could agree to not work with a particular company. Losing all of that amazing voice talent probably wouldn't be worth getting one game going on time or saving some money.
ragz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
Unions give me a headache. I understand their goal is the work towards the benefit of it's members but they often go to great extremes asking for stupid unreasonable stuff along the way. Bonuses for talking in a video game? lol? Did their voice magically increase game sales? Bonuses are there for those who went above and beyond. Why should you give someone extra money for doing the job you PAID them to do. Vocally intensive sessions? I had a hard day at work GIB ME MOAR MONEY. Bleh.

Yeah exactly, they should be happy that they are not like Japan voice actors who works in convenient store or construction work in the off time /s.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I think it is within their rights to request an update, at the very least, to the current rules and what not. It hasn't been updated since the 90s, iirc, so it makes a lot of sense. I don't necessarily agree with some of the requests but I do think the industry needs a shake up in terms of agreements and all that.

Primus wrote:

Probably just don't want to in regards to Canada. I don't see why Canadian studios aren't used more, especially at the moment with the dollar being as absolutely awful as it is right now.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deus257

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
You know the funny thing, most of the VA's in LA aren't even union, and the ones that are usually always take non-union roles but under different alias', I asked one at a con one time why that is and he said its usually because the union doesn't really give a crap about them, so they take non-union roles if they can.

As for people not caring, say that to star craft 2 when they wanted to bring in a different VA for Raynor, fans got pissed so they brought back the old VA., but that's for continuity sake, if its a new game they can bring in non-union talent.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't think they're planning on asking for everything in their demands. The residuals in particular seems like something they'd give in away in negotiations. The problem is, it's likely to be quite an unpopular one with otherwise potential sympathisers; it's common knowledge that the actual devs don't get such luxury. Effective industrial action requires solidarity.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
I understand that videogame VAs want to be treated the same as actors in other forms of media (and therefore get paid the way actors are paid in different media forms), but the fact is that voice acting in videogames doesn't influence a purchasing decision the way acting in movies, TV, or anime does. I've yet to meet a single person who's purchased a game based entirely on what VAs are attached to the project. Why? Because acting plays such a miniscule role in videogames.

You beat me to it. The two just don't hold the same weight.

Lynx Amali wrote:
I think it is within their writes to request an update

What you did there...I saw it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5