• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Engrish Titles Only Sometimes Get Corrected For America?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if it counts, but I'll always have a soft spot for the localized name of Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. The original title is apparently a nigh-untranslatable pun, so whoever was in charge just straight up made their own pun-tastic title for the west: The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior

And in a weird bit of life imitating art, the US release of BECK being changed to Mongolian Chop Squad is pretty funny too Anime hyper
----------------------------------------

[Unrelated mod note: for anyone posting in this thread, please avoid no-context lists of titles, as per teh rules regarding list posts. If you've seen your post deleted, it probably fell under that description. ~Zalis]
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and that's not even the half of it, there's also titles that I've seen, more so than examples, having corrected titles, such as...

Chrno Crusade as Chrono Crusade, and This Ugly yet Beautiful World (of course, the "yet" was originally "and"). There's probably more, but that's all I know for now.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:18 pm Reply with quote
This isn't from a title, but I love how Alucard's name in the original Hellsing's subs was changed to Arucard because it was supposed to be like Dracura.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
"The Testament of Sister New Devil"
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
At this point I am so used to Engrish I barely notice it. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Anything from the Science Adventure series (i.e. Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, Chaos;Child). Considering that there's no semicolon in Japanese grammar and the fact that most native English speakers don't even know how to use it correctly, the use here feels kinda pretentious. Wonder who at 5pb came up with the titles.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget the infamous "Clannad" Rolling Eyes
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Not sure if it counts, but I'll always have a soft spot for the localized name of Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou. The original title is apparently a nigh-untranslatable pun, so whoever was in charge just straight up made their own pun-tastic title for the west: The Kawai Complex Guide to Manors and Hostel Behavior

Aw, I was going to mention that one. Personally, I dislike it irrationally, to the point I refuse to use it to refer to the show.

Attack on Titan is fine in my book though. While I am far from fluent in the language, even I know that's not the correct translation of Shingeki no Kyojin. If anything it should be Attack of the Titans. But frankly it's too late to change it and it doesn't irk me like Kawaiisou's.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Let's not forget the infamous "Clannad" Rolling Eyes

"Clannad" is not Engrish as it's not an English word. It is, from what I've read, a butchering of some Celtic word (so Irish/Welsh/Gaelic, don't remember) meaning "family".
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gosick, which was supposed to be "Gothic" if anyone who knew English had actually proofread it.

Encouragement of Climb. Fairly close to the literal translation ("Recommendation of Mountaineering"), but someone could've chosen a phrase that flowed a little bit better

I My Me! Strawberry Eggs I think the original Japanese title had a pun referring to the word aimai, meaning "vague" or "ambiguous", but it got transliterated for the English title and now it sounds ridiculous.
blackice85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
At this point I am so used to Engrish I barely notice it. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one.

Same here, I just filter it out at this point and don't think of it as being incorrect.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Eoten Onslaught.
Selipse

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
There's so many of these that seem like a "proper" english version doesn't even exist (Show By Rock), some that were obviously done on purpose (Hi sCool! SeHa Girls), others with a more "artsy" feel that may not make much sense but are still technically correct (Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere), and ones that the correct title would just sound plain boring (Attack on Titan).

Sure, there are still some obviously clunky ones (Still world is Beautiful), but I like engrish titles most of the time.

Also, I'd like to see more japanese titles by an english author now (japanish? neewhongo?). The example given was a bit boring, and engrish titles usally get the structure and grammar wrong, not so much words.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
One word. Bodacious Space Pirates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
One example of what Justin described with refusing to defer to a native speaker was described in a commentary track for Hellsing Ultimate. From what was said, it sounds like New Generation came close to losing the chance to work on the Hellsing TV series because they insisted that the main character's name should be Alucard. The Japanese company not only insisted on Arucard, but that there was no reason to bother asking Hirano which he actually meant to use. Later on when both sides of it were in the same room with Hirano, Taliesan Jaffe decided to just ask, and Hirano's response was basically that he didn't know which it was and that he would defer to the native speakers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6