• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Interview: Tekken 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Excellent interview with Harada, here's to hoping there will be some new and exciting things for Tekken in the future!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
Exist Archive: Well this game's localization certainly came as a surprise to me, but I'm still happy all the same. I now have another reason to get a PS4, and I'll need to get one soon.

Valkyrie Profile Anatomia: Perhaps if this game does well in sales, it could lead to some funding toward Valkyrie Profile III, which is what everyone really wants.

Interview: Tekken's Katsuhiro Harada:

Quote:
I never figured Heihachi for a Calvin & Hobbes fan.

Nah, he just greatly respects tigers, as most hardcore martial artists tend to do. I believe he's had that tiger on his gi forever. XD
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
Valkyrie Profile Anatomia - Looks like the gacha are just weapons which is a good system I like while you get the characters in the game.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
That gaccha system of VPA is better than most F2P mobile games where it's just a plain cash grab for characters and everything else and it looks more like an RPG you'd play on a handheld unlike those cash grab money pits. I want to see a VP III as well.

As for E-Sports, I don't watch any of that, I know it's popular but I've never seen a real reason to watch them for the most part.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
All I can think of when ESports are on, besides the fact that they aren't real sports, is that I'd rather play a game than watch it, the sole exception being extremely story driven.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
The New 64 is... very tempting. Particularly in light of the fact that some of the games of old have been made freeware (or something similar), in that you can legally download and play them, including the amazing Kikstart 2.

And even beyond that; the people who make games for the Commodore today also release them as files you can run on emulators, and hopefully also this one.

That being said; if this isn't a hoax -- and since it's the guys who produce the magazine Retro Gamer, I doubt that -- it's still a long way in the making, so even if I throw myself on the campaign now, it's probably going to be a long time until I get to see this product ready.

Yeah, I was a Commodore child through and through.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A UK-based company called Retro Games Ltd. recently started an Indiegogo campaign for a reissue of the Commodore 64 as both an old keyboard model and a handheld unit. The 64, as it's called, is only slightly smaller than the original Commodore 64 model, with a cartridge slot and all, but it adds USB ports, HDMI, and an SD card slot to allow expansions and easy game-loading.

Surely the ardent hobbyist should simply use a Raspberry Pi to ends such as this. The process will, of course, be complicated, and you will come to curse every little chip that graces its board, but the experience will ultimately prove educational.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The portable version has similar inputs, plus a d-pad and two action buttons. Only two? How will it run Street Fighter II?

Badly!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Paul Soth wrote:
Quote:
The portable version has similar inputs, plus a d-pad and two action buttons. Only two? How will it run Street Fighter II?

Badly!

MY EYES, MY EARS, THEY'RE CRYING OUT IN PAIN......

but seriously that's an awful looking port.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hyped for the PS4 release of Tekken 7. I feel like people often underestimate just how popular Tekken is in arcades. It's pretty much king of arcade fighters along side the Gundam Versus games, which are also Bamco.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Paul Soth wrote:
Quote:

Badly!

MY EYES, MY EARS, THEY'RE CRYING OUT IN PAIN......

but seriously that's an awful looking port.

It is. If there is one thing that the Commodore did poorly in for some reason, then that would be conversions of arcade games. You'd normally have much better luck with games made specifically for the hardware, more often than not.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
The Valkyrie Profile mobile game is setting itself up to be the opposite to Fate/Grand Order whereas the latter has frankly abysmal drop rates for characters while giving out equipment (Craft Essences in FGO) like candy. I say that's already a step in the right direction.

Harada has always been a cool guy in my book. He's friendly, but at the same time doesn't let anyone push him around. An ardent IM@S fan (Iori to be exact.), and isn't afraid to show it. I'm glad he's stuck with his baby all the way up to its 7th iteration which speaks volumes about his dedication compared to a certain other fighting game creator who had a falling out over petty reasons and decided to wash his hands clean of his creation.
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see another Valkyrie Profile game.

I do hope one day Hrist gets her own game, even though she was mostly an antagonist, I'm sure they can come up with something for her, even if it's just her doing her job of saving the worlds by Odin's command.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Cool interview with Harada!

Quote:
Were any other characters being considered?

Nope, just Akuma. We knew we wanted him from the get-go. It wasn't “hey, let's add on outside character to the game,” it was “hey, let's add Akuma to the game!”

Heh. Awesome.

Oh, there's a slight typo in Heidi's second question:

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the current state of fighting games as an eSport? I get the feeling that more people are actively watching watching games, but I'm not sure if that's really translating into sales of said games.

I don't get the feeling that more people are actively watching watching games at all. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1