• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Filming Spotted in Hong Kong

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
You forgot to include the name of the guy playing Batou.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition to Johansson, (Lucy) will play Batou.

Who? lol.

Despite the White-Washing and apparent hate for Asians in Hollywood...Scarlet looks pretty good and so does whoever is playing Batou..tho he needs new eyes lol. I still think this is gonna be a disaster and probably will be just another Hollywood action sci-fi rather than a thought-provoking masterpiece
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
That's Euron Greyjoy! Motoko looks better while filming versus her promo image. Batou is just everywhere though, don't know what to make of him. I'd probably need to judge him while he's wearing the prosthetic eyes (unless they remove them).
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
That's Euron Greyjoy! Motoko looks better while filming versus her promo image. Batou is just everywhere though, don't know what to make of him. I'd probably need to judge him while he's wearing the prosthetic eyes (unless they remove them).

Am sure the eyes are going to be added in post-production. Like the look of him so far though.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Mamoru Oshii based the city design of the 1995 anime film on Hong Kong, so this makes a lot of sense. With what little we've seen so far, and disregarding casting, this actually looks like a pretty faithful adaptation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Looks pretty good, though I don't have a lot of confidence due to the director. Honestly, Motoko has always had a very westernized appearance. I couldn't imagine a Japanese actress playing her so these white washing crybabies have really been difficult to take seriously.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for it to be a success. If everything goes well it will be the best Hollywood science fiction film in years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
These images have me reassured. The costumes and set (obviously) look on point. The only worrying thing, apart from the execution, is the story.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
With what little we've seen so far, and disregarding casting, this actually looks like a pretty faithful adaptation.

Indeed I have no quarrel with this project, disregarding the matter about which I have a quarrel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Next year can't come soon enough. I'm genuinely excited for this movie.. Haven't felt this excited about an movie in a very long time.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring the serious complications surrounding the starring character, this live-action adaptation of GitS seems to be on point with the anime show so far. Unfortunately, I remain skeptical of how well it'll fare when it's all done...
alvorado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
Interesting to see that whitewashing is condoned and encouraged by people who call themselves "anime fans". What an abject and utter travesty. No wonder these adaptations are in the gutter where they've always been all along, because these short-sighted Hollywood producers rip the soul and beating heart of these worlds, by not respecting the most fundamental facet of what makes these characters who they are. And the rest all clap along, happy to partake in the bloody spoils.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
I'm liking the look of Batou and Motoko and I have high hopes for the success of this film considering all of the hard work that's going into the production. Smile
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:09 am Reply with quote
alvorado wrote:
[... These] short-sighted Hollywood producers rip the soul and beating heart of these worlds, by not respecting the most fundamental facet of what makes these characters who they are.
You should read "The Soul of Anime" by Ian Condry. I think the MIT professor would disagree with you.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
alvorado wrote:
Interesting to see that whitewashing is condoned and encouraged by people who call themselves "anime fans". What an abject and utter travesty. No wonder these adaptations are in the gutter where they've always been all along, because these short-sighted Hollywood producers rip the soul and beating heart of these worlds, by not respecting the most fundamental facet of what makes these characters who they are. And the rest all clap along, happy to partake in the bloody spoils.

Think you are talking about bad directing, bad producing, bad writing, and possibly a cheap budget. That is what usually kills a movie. Whitewashing has nothing to do with how well a movie is made, but rather is a societal issue that people argue over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2