• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ViVid Strike! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote

ViVid Strike! (TV)

Genre: Action
Theme: Magical girl

Based on the Magical Girl Nanhoa franchise. Preview shown here:
https://youtu.be/Yq5ILlY1UGQ

Plot Summary: The video begins with protagonist Fuuka Leventon and her friend Rinne Bellinetta, showing their past as impoverished and bullied children. Fuuka proclaims that she wants to get stronger to protect the things she loves, but that things like happiness and the things she loves eventually get destroyed, so she is done with losing things because she is weak.
----------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Ep 1
For a side story set up in a pre-established universe, it was decent though I am not quite hooked for a season.
I will give it a couple more episodes to contemplate.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
It's certainly an interesting beast. A sequel to an ongoing manga whose own adaptation is only half finished. I can't imagine it being particularly accessible to newcomers but with things like these it is possible to get attached to the new characters even if you know little about everything else.

Fuka is likable enough and will probably fit in quite nicely with the others. It's clear Einhart is interested in her because Einhart used to be the same way, getting into pointless street fights for the vague purpose of "getting stronger."

Also Yumina appears to be in full wife mode, so I guess ViviEin shippers BTFO?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I do like Fuka, so far she has captured my interest more than Vivio in the last season. Like I was not too interested into the shift of martial arts over magical girls and laser beams, But I think Fuka was actually enough to make me kind of feel invested in the martial arts thing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
So adult modes are standard issue now. Though all it does for Corona, Miura, and Fuka are make them a bit taller.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I'm starting to dislike Rinne a bit now. She's almost nothing like what she used to be during childhood but if anything, I expect the climax match will be between her and Fuuka.

Decent episode. I'm hoping they introduce some other powerful fighters at the Winter Cup. There's a lot of potential there. Rinne would obviously be one of the top candidates to win, especially after the skills she's shown already. (I wonder how powerful she would be fighting at full power)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Rinne seems to have been happily adopted, so it looks like her bad attitude is the fault of that coach of hers.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I think it goes deeper than that. She clearly seems to resent that Fuuka had an effortless ability to make people like her. Rinne seems to believe the only way she can get any respect and not have things taken away from her is to be top dog and too bad for anybody who gets in the way. The Coach's attitude of "talent trumps all" certainly doesn't help a mindset like that, but I think she was well down that path, anyway.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I think there's a difference between "wanna be the very best" and "treat others like shit." As Fuuka pointed out, Rinne's basically become the bullies that tormented her. Unless she genuinely believes her words to her defeated opponent were comforting, in which case she's just kinda stupid.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Not really sure what point you are trying to make, to be honest. However, as you noted, Rinne has become like the bullies who tormented her (which occurred before her adoption) so I'm inferring you understand that the coach is not the reason for her bad attitude. Or at least not the main reason.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
The comments she gives to her defeated opponents do seem somewhat similar to bullies pushing her around. I think that she sees Fuuka as a representation of the weakness she had before, so she is practically cruel to her, and there is probably something about becoming strong to not get things taken from her, she is actually neglecting getting something to lose in the first places. Not actual enjoyment.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
The third episode was interest, in how tonally different Strike is the Vivid. Honestly, I am liking it more.

The more I look at Rinne, the more I can't shake the feeling that she is going to be this show's Fate. She seems to almost be invoking the image.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Tbh, those girls deserved that although Rinne just took it to an extreme level. I feel bad for Rinne though, she didn't deserve to be treated like that from the beginning by those mean girls. No wonder her personality changed after what happened.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Well shit, that was more brutal than I was expecting.

Rinne being naturally strong was a bit hard to believe considering how she needed Fuuka's protection all the time as a kid, but I guess her personality was just holding her back.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

That does rank pretty high on brutality for the Nanoha verse. Young girls having an arm broken, another face slammed into a wall creating a bloody dent (plus was wearing glasses) and the last kicked in the head with enough force to leave blood on back. Well violence has not been out of place, a certain portion likes to play up the brutal nature of Nanoha herself, there is just usually a barrier jacket involved. I do think that there is some understanding of the pain of the invisible wounds they gave her, and the force she came back with. It was an interesting way to explain her change in personality. And yeah, Rinne does seem to be acting as this show's Fate, a terrible past that causes her to act as a sort of antagonist.

Really I am feeling good about Vivid, I think it works much better than the previous season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4