• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Oct 22-28

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the top 11 in the cumulative reaffirms to me that this is a very strong season with well done titles in varied genres. And something tells me that that top 11 in the cumulative will not change much for the rest of the season.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
So whats the deal with Keijo!!!!!, is it just really well done fan service or something more?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I think this puts the lie to the idea that fourth episodes are weak a bit. This week had the best episode of Haikyuu this season at least, hands down the best episode of Bungou so far, a great episode of Euphonium. Overall most episode 4's improved upon the ranking of their third eps (Euphonium's did go down but because two shows had excellent episodes, not because it was worse than episode 3). Though some who were down on episode fours recently could have been affected by the shows they watched, as most of the episode 4's that went down were shows they were watching. But ultimately one must be careful to not fall into easy narratives. Yes there is some truth that with creators noticing the three episode rule and tooling shows to use that, episode 4 can suffer, but this clearly isn't the whole story.

As to Keijo, while it is well executed fanservice, it is more than that. It is a perfect melding of shonen sports/battle and fanservice that results in an absurdly hilarious whole. Best show it isn't but it is entertaining and it has that in spades
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So whats the deal with Keijo!!!!!, is it just really well done fan service or something more?

it's the most stupid thing that you're gonna watch but it's so much fun, it's just a really fun shonen/sport series with fanservice. And it works
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
a great episode of Euphonium. Overall most episode 4's improved upon the ranking of their third eps (Euphonium's did go down but because two shows had excellent episodes, not because it was worse than episode 3).

For me episode 4 of Euphonium 2 was weak and hilariously stupid. Yes, the episode was emotive, but spoiler[the deal with those two girls] was so try hard and cheesy. I hope the writing quality improves, but I doubt it.

Quote:
But ultimately one must be careful to not fall into easy narratives. Yes there is some truth that with creators noticing the three episode rule and tooling shows to use that, episode 4 can suffer, but this clearly isn't the whole story.

I absolutely buy the idea of producers embracing the 3 episodes rule, but I have historically not really noticed significant drops of quality in episodes 4.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I was planning to skip this season's option for cute child + adult guy, Poco's Udon World, but it's actually getting pretty good ratings and reviews where I hang out. I might have to pick it up at the end of the season. There is just so much good stuff right now.

I'm a little disappointed in Flip Flappers drop for episode 4, but if anything does lend credence to the 3 episode rule, it's totally that show. Episode 3 was balls to the wall, and 4 was pretty quiet, in comparison. Still a good episode though.

Slightly surprised to see Izetta drop quite that much. I guess maybe the fanservice in episode 4 was really too intrusive for people? I didn't think it was that out of place, but maybe having the benefit of expecting it made it seem like less of an issue.

It's crazy to me that Drifters is apparently one of the top shows on CR according to Miles. Literally no one I talk to has any interest in it. I guess this whole social media stuff, and internet communication as a whole, still only really shows a small part of the story. That silent majority is out there.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I think the thing with Izetta was that a) it had the excessively used and general eye roll inducing gropy predatory lesbian trope, b) people who don't generally watch shows with such fanservice were watching it and understandably didn't like that episode, and c) it didn't really have any action in it so overall a weak episode. It will probably go up again next week but frankly the preview of the next episode makes me think it will drop right back down.

And @angelmcazares whatever you think of Euphonium's 4th episode, if the rating is any indication, the users appear to agree with my assessment or rather I agree with the general sentiment on the episode. I don't think it was too cheesy and frankly I don't put much stock in criticisms of something as try hard. It was a nice enough ending to that arc.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:36 pm Reply with quote
On Sound! Euphonium 2, episode 4:

zrnzle500 wrote:
It was a nice enough ending to that arc.

I actually agree with this. The arc concluded in a satisfying enough way. I don't consider episode 4 bad, but based on the fuzz that episodes 2 and 3 made, the reveal of the big, ugly secret was underwhelming. Season 2 is still a solid show, but it has been disappointing and kind of mediocre compared to the great first season.

I suppose I can find something positive with the first arc behind. The show could finally focus on Kumiko's sister, which other than episode 1, has for me been the best thing about this season 2.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Looking at the top 11 in the cumulative reaffirms to me that this is a very strong season with well done titles in varied genres. And something tells me that that top 11 in the cumulative will not change much for the rest of the season.
I can agree with this top 11 won't change much.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Surprised that Keijo leapt up nine whole spots, but glad it cracked the top ten. The show has been immensely enjoyable to me so far and dare I say kept me on the edge of my seat a couple of times. Episode four was pretty good. spoiler[Was really pulling for Miyata to win that battle and Mio's "Titty Hypnotism" was equal parts ridiculous and creepy.] The flash forward at the end was also kinda funny spoiler[What with Kotone's "Homing Butt"]

I thought Episode 4 of "March" was kind of weak compared to the others, but it's nice to see it move up. Really need to catch up on Euphonium. Think I'm about 3 or 4 episodes behind at this point.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The three episode rule is pretty lame and arbitrary. But since it's apparently so popular I guess it makes sense that producers would use it as bait for impressionable anime fans. For me, if a show has any potential whatsoever, I'll likely know within the first episode. That and I usually don't follow nearly as many currently airing shows as I have been this season. I usually just wait to watch things after they've completed a season and the climate around them has settled down into a more steady and reliable consensus.

In a perfect world Flip Flappers would be a lot higher. But at least it's rising up, slowly as it may be.

relyat08 wrote:
I'm a little disappointed in Flip Flappers drop for episode 4, but if anything does lend credence to the 3 episode rule, it's totally that show. Episode 3 was balls to the wall, and 4 was pretty quiet, in comparison. Still a good episode though.

Like I said above, that would make sense. Even though I enjoyed the episode and thought it gave us some much deserved down time and character exploration. Also it was just plain adorable, as always.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I was planning to skip this season's option for cute child + adult guy, Poco's Udon World, but it's actually getting pretty good ratings and reviews where I hang out. I might have to pick it up at the end of the season. There is just so much good stuff right now.

Iunno. Whereas shows like Bunny Drop, Barakamon and Sweetness have great children mixing up with great parents, Udon clearly lacks the former. The adults give their best, but to me, the results are pretty mixed (I liked episodes 1 and 3, didn't like episodes 2 abd 4).

relyat08 wrote:
Slightly surprised to see Izetta drop quite that much. I guess maybe the fanservice in episode 4 was really too intrusive for people? I didn't think it was that out of place, but maybe having the benefit of expecting it made it seem like less of an issue.

Not just the fanservice imo, but episode 4 pretty much didn't have any of the witch on tank action we've all wanted but didn't know.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Poor Classicaloid. I know some of the episodes have been pretty bad, but I think episode 4 was good. And for god sake, any episode of it is better than an episode of Naruto Fillerden.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Poor Classicaloid. I know some of the episodes have been pretty bad, but I think episode 4 was good. And for god sake, any episode of it is better than an episode of Naruto Fillerden.

This ranking is for episode 3, not episode 4. Hopefully we'll see it climb a few spots, episode 4 was the best the show's been

ETA: The same is true for 3-gatsu, which I imagine will drop by next week's ranking

Last edited by CrowLia on Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Surprised that Keijo leapt up nine whole spots, but glad it cracked the top ten.

But what is there to celebrate? Keijo is in the top 10 in the ever changing week to week ranking, but to me a show is truly doing great if it manages to end in a high position in the cumulative ranking, which is the ranking that should matter more.

I suppose the weekly rankings have some value, but I continue to see that posters in this thread (and whoever writes the blurbs) give the weekly ranking way too much importance; they even seem to dismiss the cumulative rankings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2