• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yuri!!! On Ice Choreographer, Voice Actors Will Host Figure Skating-Themed Event

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
It tells you something about the amazing accuracy of the animation of this series that they can use it to effectively explain figure skating itself. Most of the time, for something so detail-oriented as the jumps in skating, that rely on rotations and inside-outside edges and even where your balance falls, you'd be best served watching professionals do it in real-life footage, but they can use an anime to achieve just as much real-world accuracy. Props to the animation staff, seriously. They put a lot of time and effort into making this as accurate as possible when the casual viewer can't tell the difference between most of the jumps. They WANTED this to be something that was accurate down to the most minute details.

But sure, it's just popular because of fujoshi.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
It tells you something about the amazing accuracy of the animation of this series that they can use it to effectively explain figure skating itself. Most of the time, for something so detail-oriented as the jumps in skating, that rely on rotations and inside-outside edges and even where your balance falls, you'd be best served watching professionals do it in real-life footage, but they can use an anime to achieve just as much real-world accuracy. Props to the animation staff, seriously. They put a lot of time and effort into making this as accurate as possible when the casual viewer can't tell the difference between most of the jumps. They WANTED this to be something that was accurate down to the most minute details.

But sure, it's just popular because of fujoshi.

Not to take away from the show but a lot of anime are like that. Directors and animators will travel to foreign countries to study architecture there to show plans on taking place there, or they hire consultants and experts when it comes to sports, games, dancing, or other types of things that need careful choreography. One of the best things about the medium is the research.

If anyone legitimately thinks the show is only popular because of fujoshi then you should probably just ignore them. They clearly don't know what they're talking about.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
Dont think you should really put yuri on ice on some pillar like its the only anime thst tried for accuracy. Lets not rule out many dance anime with choreograohars thst do the same thing...see tribe cool crew.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Not to take away from the show but a lot of anime are like that. Directors and animators will travel to foreign countries to study architecture there to show plans on taking place there, or they hire consultants and experts when it comes to sports, games, dancing, or other types of things that need careful choreography. One of the best things about the medium is the research.

So on one hand we have research trips and painstaking reference guides, and on the other we have literal starving artists because there's no animation budget.

I doubt the two are interconnected, but I'm guessing not all shows can afford to go to the lengths that YOI did.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
This is completely unrelated but, still interesting YOI news; Rage of Bahamut (which had an awesome animated TV series and upcoming sequel from studio MAPPA) has created YOI game cards for the RPG. http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/452/1452249/

I never knew I needed two sports anime/RPG crossovers in my life!!! The second Yuuri game card is just so...!!!*faints*
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:

So on one hand we have research trips and painstaking reference guides, and on the other we have literal starving artists because there's no animation budget.

I doubt the two are interconnected, but I'm guessing not all shows can afford to go to the lengths that YOI did.

Yuri on Ice did not have a big budget so I don't know what you're talking about.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Comparing and doing location research would be part of creative direction for the anime so of course the people leading creative talent would be paid more than in-betweener #24...
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, due to the high demand to attend the event, 48 theaters throughout Japan will also livestream it.
What MAPPA is actually selling here are the voice actors themselves, Kouki alone would filled an entire stadium with his fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1