• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Irregular at Magic High School Film Reveals June 17 Opening, New Visual

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
In a way I'm actually kind of relieved this one never took off in the west. I'll defend SAO and all but this was just... not good.

I gave the show a chance because I mistakenly thought that all the dull stuff was meant to be the buildup to something great. As it turns out, those dull moments where nothing of interest happened were literally the entire show. And honestly if a show gets to the point where they've changed the opening theme and you still feel like you're waiting for something to happen that's a pretty big red flag. I won't even go into how utterly moronic I find the whole worldview of the series to be.

So odds are I ain't gonna be hopping on a plane to Japan any time soon to see this one.
Sobe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote

That ass. Twisted Evil

I never finished the anime because the first few episodes were DOA as just another tease to the straight male audience. However that ass and Saijou Leonhard are ikemen enough (I guess) for me to ignore the boring sis-con plot. Very Happy Time to finish the anime I suppose.
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:

I never finished the anime because the first few episodes were DOA as just another tease to the straight male audience. However that ass and Saijou Leonhard are ikemen enough (I guess) for me to ignore the boring sis-con plot. Very Happy Time to finish the anime I suppose.

IMO, it wasn't terrible as far as most harem anime goes, but it did feel like it was building up to a delivery that never ended up happening, which is a shame for a 26-ep series. I guess they were trying to force people to read the LNs if they wanted to get any conclusion. I think that there were also hints that the bro-con stuff had a particular reason, but I think that was another thing that was left unresolved.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I love how all this show gets from people is vitriol and yet according to the graph the majority of people who watched it gave it 7s, 8s, and 9s which says it's actually pretty good. Laughing
Slashman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I love how all this show gets from people is vitriol and yet according to the graph the majority of people who watched it gave it 7s, 8s, and 9s which says it's actually pretty good. Laughing

I can't really say that there was anything wrong with the show. It had a very deliberate pacing, true. But a lot of the characters had interesting side stories and plots of their own that I found entertaining enough.

My only real complaint was that there wasn't enough of deeper story of the main characters, but I don't think I ever felt like the show itself had any major issues. I would honestly not be opposed to a second season. Also, was the show actually really a harem? At least 2 of the females who seemed to have an interest in the MC actually went on to form relationships with other males...so I dunno.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Also, was the show actually really a harem? At least 2 of the females who seemed to have an interest in the MC actually went on to form relationships with other males...so I dunno.

Well there's Miyuki, Honoka and Mayumi. Maybe Shizuku as well. So that's 4 girls at least.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

I can't really say that there was anything wrong with the show. It had a very deliberate pacing, true. But a lot of the characters had interesting side stories and plots of their own that I found entertaining enough.

My only real complaint was that there wasn't enough of deeper story of the main characters, but I don't think I ever felt like the show itself had any major issues. I would honestly not be opposed to a second season. Also, was the show actually really a harem? At least 2 of the females who seemed to have an interest in the MC actually went on to form relationships with other males...so I dunno.

Yeah, same here. And no, I would not classify it as a harem. Genre-wise it's science fiction or you could make a good case for fantasy too.
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
didn't know this show still had a fan base. I remember watching it and remember it being slow with some decent fight scenes and also didn't the sister have a crush on her brother or something? I cant even remember if i finished the series or not
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

I find 7 to be very appropriate. It looks nice, animates nice, sounds nice, and was directed okay. I wouldn't call it "interesting", but it was entertaining enough for me to say, "If there's more of it, I won't complain." I think for most though, it's just boring, and boring=scum of the earth.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Well the anime ended right before the arc where you learn about both Miyuki's and Tatsuya's background, so it is there and the anime gave subtle hints about their background and there's a key visual in the first OP that shows a glimpse as well. As for a harem, theirs definitely one in there, because Miyuki, Honoka, and Mayumi definitely like Tatsuya and a few more girls are on the fence, but i wouldn't call it a harem series as the harem aspect is just a subplot and doesn't play a big factor in the story itself.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I don't use this site to rate anime. But on MyAnimelist I rated it 2/10 when I dropped it.

I don't feel nearly as strongly about the show anymore since it thankfully never took off in the west like I feared and thus I could easily forget its existence. But to quote me from back when I watched the show "One dimensional characters, mountains of pointless exposition, dull animation, anime cliches up the ass, generic 'discrimination is bad!' message, casual Xenophobia that contradicts said message, is there literally anything this show does right?".

Yeah, I really didn't like it. And after finding out why the Japanese liked it so much I wasn't surprised it didn't take off here. I doubt this movie's gonna get screenings here and even if it does they would have to be very limited if they want to make a profit.
CrazyFrogZ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
jrockfreak wrote:
didn't know this show still had a fan base. I remember watching it and remember it being slow with some decent fight scenes and also didn't the sister have a crush on her brother or something? I cant even remember if i finished the series or not

Light novel sales around 200-250K every volumes. Mahouka has larger fanbase than you know.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I talked crap about it when it first hit,shit was dull and boring. Zac warned people not to go crazy with it, didn't much care until I bought Fighting Climax, I then went back and watched the whole thing. The show ends up being good but its another one of those shows that just ends.

Don't care about the novels. Its good for what it was. Dengeki Bunko brought incest to the table that year just another lame fetish meant to move units within a certain group. Hope this movie does something for the series.

Dont understand the hate, this show was more tolerable than Oreimo, another series ANN would like to forget, I'm sure. Oreimo S2 ended horribly
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
If I recall, the show wasn't a good adaptation of the novels. It did its best, but it failed to play to the novels' strengths.

Then again, the material of the novels had always been a tough sell. Mahouka's appeal lies in its political and social conflicts, intersliced with it's techno-magic details and slices of school life. It's complicated. It's not even narrated well.

The SAO anime did some deliberate changes in telling the story of the novels to maintain the pacing. IMO, the Mahouka anime should've done that too.

Regardless, I'm still interested in the movie.
zztop

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:43 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I gave the show a chance because I mistakenly thought that all the dull stuff was meant to be the buildup to something great. As it turns out, those dull moments where nothing of interest happened were literally the entire show.

As others mentioned, the anime didn't really do justice to the source material. The novels largely focus on the socio-political aspects and indepth discussions of how the world's magic works, amidst Tatsuya being super awesome. (Plus a lot of Tatsuya's characterisation is done via inner monologue.)

PS. For those of you who didn't like the incest aspect of the Tatsuya-Miyuki relationship, you won't like what the author's done to justify it.
spoiler[In future volumes, it's revealed that despite being siblings, Miyuki has no genetic similarities to Tatsuya at all. The Yotsubas genetically modified her from young to further imcrease her magic powers. Thus, the genetic problems from incest will not occur and they both can safely have a child together. This is promoted by the Yotsuba head, who sees this as a golden opportunity to cross two powerful sets of magic genes together to breed stronger magicians for their family's glory.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2