• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: CIA Operations Hacking Household Devices Have Pokémon Code Names

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngryMoM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible. I got snubble. Give me something good like scizor.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Even here poor Porygon is ignored.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
If there was an operation named after Arceus, this might be the most catastrophic one of them all.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
At least they are having fun...
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Haha! I would've gotten pretty creative with it. Something like MissingNo. or Porygon-Z. Or those ugly useless Pokemon like Diggersby or Probopass.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Someone at the CIA must've been nostalgic. Or they came up with these names recently and was playing Pokémon GO.

Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Haha! I would've gotten pretty creative with it. Something like MissingNo. or Porygon-Z. Or those ugly useless Pokemon like Diggersby or Probopass.

Diggersby is most definitely not useless. Huge Power Diggersby creates Earthquakes that deal damage on par with Groudon and is the best counter for Aegislash, as most Aegislashes online have no moves that can hit Diggersby for super-effective or even regular damage. Diggersby remains on the middle-high tiers on Smogon too. It's hindered mainly by its Fighting-type weakness and middle-of-the-road overall stats.

Probopass is harder to use than Diggersby due to its x4 weaknesses to Fighting and Ground, and it was admittedly made during a time when Game Freak thought that the Rock/Steel type combination was very good. Nevertheless, in the right hands, Probopass can create trouble by using Block on a Pokémon that can't hit it for super-effective damage (or if it's a Steel-type, Probopass's Magnet Pull skips this step), set up using Magnet Rise or Gravity, and start disrupting or supporting the team with moves like Zap Cannon, Rock Polish, Taunt, Stealth Rock, or Wide Guard. While Magnezone is very good at trapping the likes of Celesteela, Skarmory, and Empoleon and defeating them through direct damage, Probopass is not too shabby either, though its stone wall stats mean it takes longer. Probopass would be so much better if it lost one of those types though.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

I expected nothing less of you Razz My knowledge concerning the competitive VG and TCG scenes has always been shoddy. When XY came out, I definitely remember how broken Aegislash was considered. My favorite counter for him was Reuniclus - Calm Mind, Recover, Protect - and for the amount that Aegislash players liked to stall, it worked most of the time. I'm sure I knew Diggersby had potential but I probably opted for Reuniclus because I like him as a Pokemon more. Good times... I want to use Sun and Moon as a chance back into competitive, especially since they've made IV training so easily accessible.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

I expected nothing less of you Razz My knowledge concerning the competitive VG and TCG scenes has always been shoddy. When XY came out, I definitely remember how broken Aegislash was considered. My favorite counter for him was Reuniclus - Calm Mind, Recover, Protect - and for the amount that Aegislash players liked to stall, it worked most of the time. I'm sure I knew Diggersby had potential but I probably opted for Reuniclus because I like him as a Pokemon more. Good times... I want to use Sun and Moon as a chance back into competitive, especially since they've made IV training so easily accessible.

Oh, Reuniclus is definitely a solid, all-situations Pokémon too, though honestly, I'm surprised you were able to counter Aegislash using a Pokémon with a type disadvantage against it. (Diggersby vs. Aegislash is usually short and quick: Diggersby uses Earthquake and one-hit KOs Aegislash in its Shield Forme. It's one of only a handful of Pokémon able to do so and the only one resistant or immune to both Ghost and Steel.) Then again, the fact that you have a type disadvantage and a slower Speed means that 1) Aegislash will likely not switch out, and 2) Aegislash will shift to Blade Forme and use Shadow Claw or Shadow Ball. It's the same strategy I use to get rid of Mimikyu using Haxorus.

By the way, I am firmly a Johnny kind of player. I like using Pokémon off the beaten path. For instance, when I learned that Furfrou keeps its trim when put in the PC, meaning it keeps its trim in the Battle Box, meaning you can bring it online with a trim finally, I HAD to put one on a team to use head-to-head. (According to the Global Link website, there are currently 70 Furfrous in Ranking Battles for doubles. My Furfrou is the only one that isn't support.) But this approach means I have to look for the merits each fully-evolved Pokémon has (and some not-fully-evolved ones too) and how they'll deal with the most common threats competitive players use.

The Smogon tiers are not as wide as some of the louder proponents make it out to be. You can beat Garchomp (in the Ubers tier) with a Stoutland (in the PU tier, the bottom-most one) if you understand how your opponents tick. I did it repeatedly at the Anaheim Regional VGCs last month.

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Gotta catch em all.

Terrorists, I mean...

But in reality this is just going to be used by the deep state to control and blackmail us given these guys are responsible for arming said terrorists to justify this excuse
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling that the CIA is finding a way to skirt around the 4th Amendment. Considering SCOTUS has no problem compromising the Constitution on, I have a feeling them old farts will agree with the hacking.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I have a feeling that the CIA is finding a way to skirt around the 4th Amendment. Considering SCOTUS has no problem compromising the Constitution on, I have a feeling them old farts will agree with the hacking.

McCarthyism at its best I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Thinking back on it, I probably wasn't half as successful as I think myself of. It was only when I managed to land Psychic on the Aegislash would the game truly shift in my favor. The fourth move I used was Trick Room, which helps because of how slow Reuniclus is. After that, it's tough to beat him, because Psychic becomes buffed and with his bulk, I can heal only after every few hits. Or Protect in cases like Aegislash, where one hit might be fatal, and I can stall even further because of its Shield Forme. Like you said, he's really one of those Pokemon that fares well in any situation. I liked to use him as suicide to take out a few Pokemon and then Trick Room at the last second as another slow Pokemon like Aromatisse jumps in.
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The Smogon tiers are not as wide as some of the louder proponents make it out to be. You can beat Garchomp (in the Ubers tier) with a Stoutland (in the PU tier, the bottom-most one) if you understand how your opponents tick. I did it repeatedly at the Anaheim Regional VGCs last month.

Nice. That's pretty much how I like to battle. Find a creative strategy and apply it to how my opponent thinks. I'd have more interest in building a new team in SM if its communication features weren't so inhibiting.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Nice. That's pretty much how I like to battle. Find a creative strategy and apply it to how my opponent thinks. I'd have more interest in building a new team in SM if its communication features weren't so inhibiting.

Well, I'm participating in as many of the wi-fi competitions as I can, because they're currently the only way to get those elusive Mega Stones. They'll be available later, but I'd like to get my hands on some of the ones they're currently giving out.

By the way, Aegislash's potential is dependent solely on how well Aegislash's trainer uses it. Since Aegislash is so slow, the user has to be very careful in switching between Shield and Blade Formes so they can attack properly and so they don't let the opponent set up. If you face an Aegislash who cannot predict what you do, they're as good as dead. (Substitute is a good way to buffer attacks from Aegislash if you think it's going to use Shield Forme and they don't know you have Substitute, for instance.) Reuniclus is in an odd position of being even slower than Aegislash--as long as it's not holding a Focus Sash, the most reliable way to knock out Aegislash is to use a Pokémon even slower than it that can take at least one hit and isn't a stone wall like Shuckle or Bastiodon, since it means Aegislash cannot attack the Pokémon without coming out of Shield Forme first. The list of Pokémon who are slower than Aegislash and are sturdy enough to avoid getting one-hit KOed without a Focus Sash is pretty small though, especially if the user plays the waiting game and uses Swords Dance repeatedly while keeping it in Shield Forme. (According to the Global Link website, only 15% of Aegislashes online have Swords Dance though, and less than 3.5% of them in double battling.)
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been saying it since the late 90s, Pokemon is serious sh!t :p
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1