• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fruits Basket Gets 1st U.S. Blu-ray Disc Release in August

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arsenette

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll wait to read the reviews of the transfer. I still have the original DVD's when they came out but would love a Bluray upgrade. It's been hit/miss of late with older titles. I hope it's a good release though as I really enjoyed this series.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese Blu-ray Box was released back in November so like the cover art, it should be the same upscale.

Might pick this up myself, I was considering it (again) sometime after the 2014 Anime Classics DVD re-release came out but then noticed it was missing the extras disc that the OOP 2011 Collector's Edition had and I wasn't touching the original DVDs that they had re-released for years before that CE (as those were done back in the alternate angle days when all of their DVDs looked like crap) so this will be my chance at owning the show with everything it came with and with somewhat better quality than either of FUNi's DVDs.

Quote:
The set will also contain audio commentary for episode 24

Correction, it's a video commentary, it was one of the newer extras made for the 2011 Collector's Edition set...and sadly the only extra the 2014 set has as it's on the fourth disc with the last few episodes.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:05 am Reply with quote
I feel like the only time this show looked good is when I was 12 and didn't know any better as I streamed it in bottom barrel resolution on YouTube. And for some reason I didn't mind the DVDs on my family's old CRT TV, but I remember once watching an episode on a brand new Plasma screen and thinking the settings on the TV were wrong 'cause it suddenly looked wrecked.

What I'm trying to say is I love this show to death and I've seen it enough times to know... it's what's on the inside that counts. And this new set right before my birthday, too, how thoughtful of FUNi~.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
I agree with Arsenette ..ill wait to hear reviews of transfer ... this show is an all time favorite of mine.. would love it it blu-ray . Top notch reverse harem rom/com. Is it just me or has anime lost a certain organic-ness since shows like this ?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
A 5/14 article on Manga Jerk (a blog by Mark de Vera, Viz Medi'a Publishing Sales Manager) called "The Top 10 Best-selling TokyoPop Manga Series - #5 through #1" listed Furuba as the all-time best-selling TokyoPop manga (#2 was "Love Hina", not bot bad for a harem).
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the English cast interviews are the same from the original DVD releases (I'm assuming so).
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
Last time I watched my DVDs for this, I found the video quality to be truly cringe-worthy. It wouldn't take much for the Blu-rays to blow the DVDs out of the water even simply by having a new SD transfer. So, Funimation would have to really botch things for the Blu-ray to not be a significant improvement over those old DVD transfers. And this series really deserves to look good, so I'm very much looking forward to the new release.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Since this is Blu-ray, then it will be in High Definition, correct?

Or will it still be in Standard Definition quality of its original release (back in 2001)?
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
pinoyfreestyler wrote:

Or will it still be in Standard Definition quality of its original release (back in 2001)?

It's in HD but upscaled because it was a early digipaint show.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
pinoyfreestyler wrote:

It's in HD but upscaled because it was a early digipaint show.

Oh interesting.
That means it will really have High Definition quality and that it won't look like an SD video that is stretched to fit on an HDTV.

Nice Smile

P.S.
I hope they can apply this enhancement technology to old shows like Vandread. HD version of Vandread on Blu-ray would look dope for sure.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
Furuba has always had a special place in my heart (I don't know which disc set I have, but it's a full collection in a plastic sleeve that, when opened, opens into... 3? 6? discs...). But it gets REALLY hard to listen to the opening theme...

One of my favorite female singers. It's been yeeeears, but it still hurts to listen to her music. I'm usually not this sentimental. I'll listen to Wada Kouji's Digimon themes, despite him being one of my favorites as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1