• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco: Dragon Ball Franchise Outperforms Gundam This Year

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I think at the very least the title of the article is misleading. It seems like the article is specifically talking about performance in Japan rather than overall performance of the franchises. Unless Dragonball actually got outperformed globally by Gundam last time which seems unlikely?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
In 2017 alone, there have been at least 20 "Premium Bandai" Master Grade and 16 "Premium Bandai" HGUC Gundam kits that you can only get through the Bandai webstore. You have to jump through hoops to get most of them outside of Japan, and that's got to be negatively impacting sales to at least some degree.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
I mean Gundam hasn't had a TV animation this Year so I'm not shocked by this news and in Terms of animation we only had like Build fighter stuff and Twilight axis.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I mean Gundam hasn't had a TV animation this Year so I'm not shocked by this news and in Terms of animation we only had like Build fighter stuff and Twilight axis.

Iron Blooded Orphans ran until April of this year, so they did have an animation that was at least running for a season of the year. Plus it ran for most of last year as well, well within the expected window for it to still have an influence on merch sales.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I think at the very least the title of the article is misleading. It seems like the article is specifically talking about performance in Japan rather than overall performance of the franchises. Unless Dragonball actually got outperformed globally by Gundam last time which seems unlikely?

This is worldwide performance, but of only Bandai, one licensee company. All of those franchises have also a ton of other products that aren't made by Bandai. Strange enough the biggest of this franchises(not just bandai) is Anpanman.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote
There doesn't even need to be a debate about whether or not Gundam's had a new show, its toy sales, anything like that. Because this isn't even remotely shocking.

Dragon Ball is a more popular brand than Gundam. Period. It has wider reach across a broader set of demographics in more markets. More people know what it is, more people have some experience with it, and thus, it performs better in game sales than Gundam.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
switchgear1131 wrote:
dark13 wrote:

Iron Blooded Orphans ran until April of this year, so they did have an animation that was at least running for a season of the year. Plus it ran for most of last year as well, well within the expected window for it to still have an influence on merch sales.

Even if it was the really chaotic and disappointing end to the second season to IBO which some would call complete garbage.

Apollo-kun wrote:

Dragon Ball is a more popular brand than Gundam. Period. It has wider reach across a broader set of demographics in more markets. More people know what it is, more people have some experience with it, and thus, it performs better in game sales than Gundam.

Gundam doesn't help itself with stuff like IBO's second season either being so polarizing and messy. Again maybe it would have done better if IBO had done better with it's story.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
switchgear1131 wrote:
dark13 wrote:

Even if it was the really chaotic and disappointing end to the second season to IBO which some would call complete garbage.

Apollo-kun wrote:

Gundam doesn't help itself with stuff like IBO's second season either being so polarizing and messy. Again maybe it would have done better if IBO had done better with it's story.
in terms of merch Gundam beat DBZ this year ( re look at the article in Toys&Hobby) and as far as I know that's what Bandai cares about.

terms of domestic toy and hobby sales alone, both Mobile Suit Gundam and Kamen Rider topped Dragon Ball this year and last year. The results for domestic toy and hobby sales for the first half of the fiscal year are as follows:

Mobile Suit Gundam: 11 billion yen
Kamen Rider: 9.4 billion yen
Dragon Ball: 5.9 billion yen
Super Sentai/Power Rangers: 4.9 billion yen
Anpanman: 4.7 billion yen
Precure: 3.8 billion yen
Yo-kai Watch: 2.0 billion yen
Ultraman: 2.2 billion yen
One Piece: 1.8 billion yen
Pokémon: 2.2 billion yen
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
switchgear1131 wrote:
dark13 wrote:

Apollo-kun wrote:

in terms of merch Gundam beat DBZ this year ( re look at the article in Toys&Hobby) and as far as I know that's what Bandai cares about.

terms of domestic toy and hobby sales alone, both Mobile Suit Gundam and Kamen Rider topped Dragon Ball this year and last year. The results for domestic toy and hobby sales for the first half of the fiscal year are as follows:

Mobile Suit Gundam: 11 billion yen
Kamen Rider: 9.4 billion yen
Dragon Ball: 5.9 billion yen
Super Sentai/Power Rangers: 4.9 billion yen
Anpanman: 4.7 billion yen
Precure: 3.8 billion yen
Yo-kai Watch: 2.0 billion yen
Ultraman: 2.2 billion yen
One Piece: 1.8 billion yen
Pokémon: 2.2 billion yen

Yes I know it did well still, there is a niche for it. I'm not saying it's totally bombing out this year.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Shoudn't really be a surprise since DB is bigger than Gundam ww.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1