• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Which Voice Actors Are Dominating the Winter 2018 Season?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
This list is entirely lacking enough Miyuki Sawashiro. That woman's voice just does something to me.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
M.A.O has been pretty dominating over the past couple years.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Nakamura Yuichi is freaking everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Just like Okamoto Nobuhiko and Morikawa Toshiyuki,
Jejehartadi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
This list is entirely lacking enough Miyuki Sawashiro. That woman's voice just does something to me.
These days industry markets their VAs as idol seiyuu. Which means they should be young/fresh and attractive so they can attract fans to attend anime events. Sound director Iida Satoki said they prefer to cast seiyuu that can benefit event rather than seiyuu that have better acting.

Lately it is the newbie or young seiyuu that got the spotlight rather than older veterans. ex:
Minase Inori: first main role in 2014 now appper everywhere, Takahashi Rie: 1st main in 2015 now everywhere, Amamiya Sora: 1st main 2014 this season got 5 roles, Hondo Kaede (mentioned in article), etc.

I feel a little sad that my fav VAs are getting less or even no roles lately
Aizu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
joeydoa wrote:
M.A.O has been pretty dominating over the past couple years.

she's too busy that we FumikaP (iM@S CG) will never see her performing in yearly Lives, w

really sad that we can't hear her singing voice in flesh but glad at the same time to know that she's busy with her works
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
The JP market is definitely not as consolidated as the English VA talent pool, but I'm actually starting to get slightly burned out on a few who I actually genuinely love. Last season Inori Minase ended up being that one for me.. it's been just a few too many seasons of hearing her in what seems like multiple shows, and while she's adorable, and has a great voice, I don't think she has the range of someone like Ai Kayano or Kana Hanazawa. At least not yet.
MF65

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
I will never understand why Tomoaki Maeno is so popular. His voice just sounds so sleazy all the time. And he always sounds the same no matter what role he's cast in... Such a turn off.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:44 am Reply with quote
I feel so old. I don't know any of those people. I still think of Romi Paku as a new kid on the block.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:13 am Reply with quote
My favourite VA (Yuichiro Umehara) is still quite a rookie compared to some of the other names that get thrown about so I have to seek him out, but considering he's in only 3 shows this season while he was in 6 or 7 last season, it'll be no time before he's everywhere too.
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
Admittedly a big reason I've soured towards the seiyuu industry is how bloated the cast lists have become with people they're trying to milk as idol cashcows. The moment I've finally got used to them, they're gone and replaced with someone really young and less experienced. (I am, if you can believe it, a seiyuu geek who is interested in the acting Laughing) Though cost effectiveness is also an issue - the more experienced and high tier a seiyuu is, the pricier it is to bring them in for a main role. That and they can afford to talk back once they're around long enough Laughing

I'm both surprised and not surprised at Maeno being there given how he's that perfect combination of liked but not liked enough he costs a lot and can protest too much. That and he can sound midrange bish or everyman so there are plenty of roles he can easily fill. (I like him best as Schubert in ClassicaLoid where he acts stuffy and pompous yet does a lot of ardent fanboying over 'Beethoven-senpai')

Though it's not shown here, I'm still amused at how Akira Ishida managed to clock 14 tv shows during fall season. (Could've been 16 but Dances with Dragons was put on hiatus and his character in March Comes In Like a Lion season 2 didn't make a voiced appearance during the fall cour Laughing) Granted most of them were guest appearances but he was in every episode of Elegant Youkai Apartment Life and almost every episode of ClassicaLoid on top of regularly showing up in Shokugeki No Souma so not much of a slouch Laughing Tomokazu Sugita even tweeted about how thanks to casting coincidences they were recording together almost 4 or 5 different times in one week. (I am guessing he was referring to Youkai Apato, Shokugeki No Souma, ClassicaLoid, Gintama and probably the OVA for DRIFTERS) But then Ishida decided to appear in nothing new this season because I guess they put him in time out for hogging the microphone too much.

I don't know if it's just a lack of attention on my part but I am pleased that these past 2 years the industry seems to be putting more veteran seiyuu in regular roles or letting them make up the majority of a main cast. We got Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Sakamoto Desu Ga, Onihei, Elegant Youkai Apartment Life, Clean Freak Aoyama-kun! etc. This may just be coincidental though as Rakugo they wanted seiyuu who were old enough to portray the shouwa era, Sakamoto Desu Ga was Shinji Takamatsu direction so it features a lot of his usual suspects, Youkai was a reprisal for the entirety of the drama CD cast etc. Ah well I love hearing these guys show up in anything, no matter how demeaning, minor or ridiculous the role. (Toshiyuki Morikawa temporarily pretending to be an old lady? Sign me up!)
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:

She's currently voicing a character in One Piece's most recent arc in the anime, an arc that's still going in the manga.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:04 am Reply with quote
And here I am watching Osomatsu-San, where the youngest VAs are from the early 00s. While the oldest go back to the early 90s. And that show is apparently sold on the main voice cast.
penguintruth wrote:
I feel so old. I don't know any of those people. I still think of Romi Paku as a new kid on the block.
The role she played in Kill La Kill helped me identify her as a veteran. As it felt like a role you would see an industry veteran in.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The men's list's forerunner is Tomoaki Maeno

Not surprised. Everytime I see a new ANN article, Maeno is mentioned, which made me say "Again? WTF!"
PixLil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Eh so that mean Tomoaki Maeno's character from Yowamushi Pedal will appear on the new season? Razz
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, I have seen more complaints/posts here and elsewhere on the overuse of Eng. dub VA.

@relyat08: you could always watch the subbed shows muted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2