• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charles Bronson like characters

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote
Are there any anime series with a Charles Bronson like character? Friendly and laid back but rough, tough, and all the right stuff with the going gets tough? All the heroes I have seen are either tall thin taciturn Man With No Name types like D., Spike Spiegel, and Mugen, or they collapse into whiny jokey clowns like Ruroni Kenshin or Vash usually when confronted by the strong female supporting character. As you can tell Charles Bronson characters do not fall into either of those categories. Does any anime ever feature a friendly mature guy who can remain that way in the face of a female storm or when duking it out to the max with hoards of villains?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
That type of character is often a secondary character. You mention Spike Spiegel but neglect Jet Black, who could fit your profile.

As a lead character, "Mister" from Coyote Ragtime Show also comes to mind.

But the leading example of such a character would be Daisuke Jigen from the Lupin III franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Cobra from Space Adventure Cobra is friendly and laid back, consistent in his good natured attitude in any situation, good or bad. He will get a little serious looking, when he finely starts shooting with the show's heavy artillery, but that's a small part of the time. This is a "James Bond set in space", except Cobra comes off really not caring about being suave. Tons of action, crashing flying cars, shooting, things blowing up, and every women always wears skin tight clothes. If that's your kind of thing, it is a very fun show. Crunchy has it; I don't know if there is a dub.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Is this enough?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1